HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Three favorite rustications

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PreppyHippy

Registration date : 2012-09-18

Three favorite rustications Empty
PostSubject: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 3:05 am

I much prefer sandblasted pipes to rusticated ones, but blast it, in this hobby there are always so many beloved exceptions.

First, Sasieni rustication. Never fails to be interesting, mostly to the eye rather than the touch, but doggone, what an eyeful. I've heard that one carver made these pipe surfaces. The most interesting and mind blowing of rustication, according to me. Called "Rustic," I never fail to devour online pictures of Sasienis like this one, a one dot:

Three favorite rustications Photo_10

Second, Castello Sea Rock. Wonderful for the fingers. The bulges are soft, blunt, yet delicate to the touch. You can feel there's a lot of surface across the pipe, but the whole of it feels smooth when you absent-mindedly run the thumb pad across it while reading. Looks so much rougher and gruffer than it is. Looks so good you secretly want to believe its pose of being organic and not the decisions of a rusticator/carver.

Three favorite rustications Photo_11

Third, Ferndown Bark. Even surface prickly. Rough but without pattern or variation between spots on the pipe. No pointy mountains peeking out or depressed smoother dried up lake beds--all one great even topography. Beautiful shine in the light as the tiny depressions reflect so many tiny dot points of light. The opposite of crude, perhaps the most refined and elegant of "rustication."

Three favorite rustications Photo_12

Further, this post concludes my effort to try the image hosting mechanism of the site.
Back to top Go down
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:42 am

What the hey is that log?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 8:18 am

Nice pipes!
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:17 pm

gravel wrote:

Yeah, seriously. What the heck is that thing? I also prefer a sandblast over rustication, but those are all at the top of the art. Two others I favor are Savinelli Capri, which reminds me of elephant hide, and the older version of Jobey Stromboli, which looks like a vaguely pipe-shaped moon rock.
Back to top Go down
PreppyHippy

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 3:04 pm

gravel wrote:

What do you guys think it is, besides the greatest pipe photo mock up holder known to man or woman?

George, you're right. I image searched that Jobey pattern and you're so right--out of this world.
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 3:07 pm

PreppyHippy wrote:
gravel wrote:

What do you guys think it is, besides the greatest pipe photo mock up holder known to man or woman?

I think it's representative of a totem made with drawers. I see eyes, nose, mouth and strong chin... of course I could be wrong. Laughing
Back to top Go down
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 3:17 pm

PreppyHippy wrote:
gravel wrote:

George, you're right. I image searched that Jobey pattern and you're so right--out of this world.

A mock wooden Popeye the sailor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
PreppyHippy

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:16 am

As far as I can tell it's a dresser top container for cuff links, tie tacks, pocket watch and chain, for a man who decorates in log cabin style. For the pictures I've just stacked it on top of shoe box humidors and an ashtray or whatever's been handy.

It's very expressive for a log. Close the bottom drawer and it looks like it smokes self satisfied.

Three favorite rustications Photo_10

Open the drawer and it looks grumpy. My own personal Monbla in wood.

Three favorite rustications Photo_11

Looks better with a bent pipe. Too bad I prefer straight ones.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:12 am

PreppyHippy wrote:

Yeah. The old ones especially, with their craggy rims. I've got a few of those I found in a meteor crater. Razz It's like there's light rustication, heavy rustication, and then Stromboli rustication. Looks weird, but it kinda grows on you.
Also:

Quote :
My own personal Monbla in wood.
lol! This had me in tears! If I ever own a tobacco shop, I want a wooden Monbla out in front.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Three favorite rustications   Three favorite rustications EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 2:02 am

I Love Castello Sea Rock rustication, they're incredible. I also really love Jacono's rustications and Larrysson's tree bark style as well. As far as blasts go I love Karl Erik, Kevin Arthur, Skovgaard and Rad Davis.

Cool log! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Three favorite rustications
Page 1 of 1