HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Stay safe you guys in the affected areas.

National news makes this out to be bad bad.

silent

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: ...Harm's Way...   Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:00 pm

...Thoughts and prayers to all thoise affected by the storm or whatever it turns out to be...Stay Safe!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:06 pm

christeaux wrote:
Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Supposed to roll right over us. Stocked up on milk bread batteries and diapers today. Got the pump ready to go just incase the basement floods. Got a few good books a case of beer and plenty to smoke so we'll be alright.

How often have you had storms that knocked out your power for an extended amount of time, or caused flooding?

We're fortunate our power lines are underground so we only lost power once and that was during Irene.

We flood a good bit though. When the Schuylkill overflows it makes our live miserable, but the only real danger to the house is from run off when the storm drains run beyond capacity. Then everything drains right into my back door.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 pm

KevinM wrote:
I'd say RLP-6 in No Name briars is an appropriate choice.
Hey - that choice works fine for me any day! cheers

LIPIPE wrote:
Smoking a Nording bowl of Penzance so you know how I'm suffering.
Holy Crap, Marty! That sounds like it's gone to hell already!
lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm nowhere near it, but good luck to you all! Keep your pipes and family (mainly family) safe!
I'll be praying for you guys.
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:54 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
I'm nowhere near it, but good luck to you all! Keep your pipes and family (mainly family) safe!
I'll be praying for you guys.
Zach

Where do you think the 50 mile an hour winds they are calling for tomorrow and the next day are coming from!!!! supposed to get windy rainy and snowy!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:16 am

It is stuff like this that makes you wonder, "Hurricane Sandy appears destined to enter the history books as one of the most exceptional -- and potentially destructive -- storms to strike the Northeast in modern history." Quote from: http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/depression-storm-eighteen-20121020
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:24 am

UPDATE:

wife at home is ok. when asked how it is, she laughed and said "just some good rain and pretty windy, nothing destructive" they still have power and everything(internet, cable).

home home is in southeastern CT, parents are well prepped, comparable to a doomsday prep-er. dad went out and cleared some of the storm drains. says"have seen worse heading our way" "flash floods and high water table and maybe some water in the basement the only concerns" "nothing to worry about son". good enough for me

not to bad from the KV family, hope everyone else does ok. stay safe
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 am

Alex, that's a storm. I lived on the east coast, Hurricanes are no joke.
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Wishing you all safe.

BUT.

One thing I know about spending time with family on the east coast is:

Matters on the east coast, especially New York, get inflated very quickly. My dad, being from New York, often jokes: "What's more important, New York or New Yorkers?" Answer: "New Yorkers...just ask them." That, and the winters, made him move west.

Laughing This storm hopefully won't amount to much. It ain't the southern coast. A proper hurricane is a nasty bit of weather.

Just guffin' you all in the city. Seriously, be careful.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:05 pm

So far, so good @ 1:00 p.m. here in Central CT. Wind gusts are getting right stiff. Rain is coming down sideways. We're still a couple hours away from the worst of it, though. knock knock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:35 pm

She's a tough ol' broad, anyway... Shocked

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Stay Safe everyone.

I have family in Southeastern New Jersey, and an Aunt who lives right on the Deleware River in Pennsville a few miles down from the Dupont plant (her back yard is the river). I am pretty sure she's left her place and headed inland. This one looks to be nasty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Its down here brutal:

Last edited by Dave_In_Philly on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm

not sure if you all can read this, but prayers from SoCal

I almost feel guilty in the 80 degree sunshine

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
She's a tough ol' broad, anyway... Shocked

Yes, I saw The Day After Tomorrow too... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Saw some live feeds today. Some of LI is already flooded.

Several brothers from another site in the affected areas say it's getting pretty crazy.

Here's one entry-

There's massive flooding all over the shores of LI now. Babylon Village was hit pretty badly. The blocks near the bay over here are pretty wet too (about 1/4 Mi South of me). I'm at about 20' above MSL so I should be ok.

I just finished downing all of my clients' servers and assisting them with disconnecting the rest of their IT equipment. One major electrical/traffic contractor said signals are falling and going offline already. It's chaos.

affraid

Here's a pic from Winthrop, MA-

Shocked

Stay safe everyone...........

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:31 pm

Surf's up!!!!!!!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:33 pm

-KV- wrote:
UPDATE:

wife at home is ok. when asked how it is, she laughed and said "just some good rain and pretty windy, nothing destructive" they still have power and everything(internet, cable).

home home is in southeastern CT, parents are well prepped, comparable to a doomsday prep-er. dad went out and cleared some of the storm drains. says"have seen worse heading our way" "flash floods and high water table and maybe some water in the basement the only concerns" "nothing to worry about son". good enough for me

not to bad from the KV family, hope everyone else does ok. stay safe

I was in Ledyard (near New London) for the hurricane in 84 or 85 (didn't take any notes). A lot of trees down, power down, etc. Took the ship up to the sub base in Groton, heavy steel cables and moored her to one of their piers. During the height of the storm the pier was underwater with 90MPH plus winds. Excitement. After the storm the road home was blocked and had to stop at a buddies house to drink mass quantities of beer. Eventually had the wife meet me on the opposite side of the downed trees on the road!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 pm

bosun1 wrote:
I was in Ledyard (near New London) for the hurricane in 84 or 85 (didn't take any notes). A lot of trees down, power down, etc. Took the ship up to the sub base in Groton, heavy steel cables and moored her to one of their piers. During the height of the storm the pier was underwater with 90MPH plus winds. Excitement. After the storm the road home was blocked and had to stop at a buddies house to drink mass quantities of beer. Eventually had the wife meet me on the opposite side of the downed trees on the road!
My pal who works at Electric Boat said that it's the first time in his tenure (12 years or so) they've closed the sub yard.

Why you'd need to close the sub yard, I'll never know. What's going to happen, the subs get more underwater? Cool

(Yeah, yeah, I know about all the fissile material... I've been drinking trace amounts of it for years, with no superpowers to show for it, dammit.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Gettin' dicey here in NE Ohio (well...at least compared to what we usually see around here). We're no where near the center of this thing, but Lake Erie is already gettin' crazy. Drove down to a local lakefront park and saw waves like I've never seen on the lake before in my life - easily 15-20 footers (10 footers are usually a rare event in these parts). A local news station posted this photo of the waves flooding the Rt. 90 East Shoreway

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Let me quess, Gordon Park.
The wife lived in Painesville in an earlier life!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Simple Man wrote:

I never did. Laughing I thought that was actual news footage. pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:40 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Simple Man wrote:

I never did. Laughing I thought that was actual news footage. pale

I can understand why, but if we ever see that in real life, better head for the hills! affraid Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)   Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 am

Surprised none of the LA boys have chimed in yet. As I've been following this hurricane, I've remained relatively unafraid for most folks. Being from Louisiana, Hurricane season is usually a good ol' time tracking hurricanes, betting on where it might go, and then riding out the storm is all a part of the fun. As Sandy has remained a Cat. 1, the primary concern for me has been the sheer size of the storm. Cat. 1s are relatively weak storms so their focus is weak. As such, they remain enormous storms that can cause a good bit of damage over an incredibly large area. A Cat. 1 hurricane hitting the south is business as usual. A Cat. 1 hitting the NE is rare to say the least and I'd imagine that the entire area currently affected is completely unused to dealing with storms of this magnitude, especially when a warm air mass like this collides with a cold air mass from the north. When Irene came through last year, tornadoes tore through upstate NY, something none of my friends up there (most of whom are in their 50s) had ever seen before.

Reading through this thread, I'm so glad that everyone who's in the affected area has prepared themselves for the worst, but hoped for the best. Now that the eye has come on shore and the winds dropped dramatically, I'd say the worst of the storm itself is over. I hope everyone is ready for the potential flooding that may come afterwards, particularly with all the run off from the storm flowing into low lying areas right now.

Stay safe everyone, and please do check in!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com

Any brothers in harm's way? (Sandy hurricane)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next