HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Removing labels from tops of round and square tins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PreppyHippy

Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Removing labels from tops of round and square tins   Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Gentlemen and all ladies,
I want to start a project of saving the labels from the tins I smoke and sticking them on a backing board together. It's easy to remove the strips that go around the outside of C&D, GLP, McClelland, and etc. tins, but I had no luck getting the round label off the top of a Dunhill tin lid. Soaking didn't seem to work, but I might try it again anyway. Maybe I did it too long or too short a time, but it seemed to weaken the paper of the lable and strengthen the glue.

I wonder if anyone has any advice on how to remove these tin labels? When I smoke an Esoterica, a Dunhill, a Gawith, or one of the cellared Butera tins I'd love to save the label for my coming display board of tobacciana labels.

Thanks very much!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Removing labels from tops of round and square tins   Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm

If they are stickers like on snuff tins try heating the underside of the lid slightly. That will help snuff labels peal off easily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Removing labels from tops of round and square tins   Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:50 pm

The labels are supposed to be waterproof so they were probably applied with a heat activated glue. Try some heat either to the back of the lid or a hair drier on the label side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PreppyHippy

Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Removing labels from tops of round and square tins   Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Will do, gents. Thank you very much, Monbla and Slide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Removing labels from tops of round and square tins   Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:13 am

Pro tip from a fellow label-weirdo: hair dryer on the opposite side of the label's stuck-to surface. Works ace.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Removing labels from tops of round and square tins
Page 1 of 1