HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What makes the flavor change?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: What makes the flavor change?   Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 am

In reading all of your excellent tobacco reviews, a common statement made is how the taste changes as you get closer to the bottom of the bowl. What causes those changes? Why doesn't it taste the same all the way through?

I know with a cigar you're drawing flavors from one end to the next. Is it the same kind of thing?

Brian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What makes the flavor change?   Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Just some thoughts:

1. the tobacco is the same throughout the bowl. For some reason, like the accumulated nicotine at the end of a cigar, flavors at the middle and end also change, the first quarter of the bowl lighter and the last more concentrated. Like nicotine, does flavor deposit itself on the tobacco below; often it tastes as if it does. Think of smoking dottle.

But you might consider that the palate is more tuned into the tobaccos that you taste as the bowl progresses and you can taste more as the bowl progresses. Perhaps this is then just as important as whatever molecular properties might exist as you smoke.

2. Some swear that stoving VAs in the tin or loading a bowl and lighting it and putting the pipe down overnight produces aging. The heat from that first light might be said to start fermentation, or something like it; I don't know. I've tried this a half-dozen times with irregular results.

In the pipe world you mingle with many who are analytical and serious about sorting this from that. In my personal experience it becomes easy to over-think and perhaps become over-enthusiastic about pipe theory. I'm not saying that this is without benefit and I'm certainly not judging anyone. This is what I've done.

With pipes, if it feels good, do it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What makes the flavor change?   Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 pm

A guy could write a book. But consider this; the Gawith houses, and others, use steam to cook tobacco to achieve a certain effect to a blend. Smoking a pipe produces both heat and steam. Not so much pressure. But two important elements in the production of many blends.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What makes the flavor change?   Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Carlos FTW.

Also, some pipe/tobacco combos, I find, will have an "even" nature from start to finish. Sometimes this is good, sometimes not. If it's a mediocre blend, it won't get worse, but won't get better...and thus, stays mediocre. The rest can run the gamut.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What makes the flavor change?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1