HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:52 pm

This is a brapple, I am thinking I will sand it back to zero and start over with the stain however as I don't love the color.

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Nice looking pipe, Rev! The stain looks good to me, but I'm going by the photos. You would definitely know better. Anyway, looks like you did really good with this one. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:56 pm

This is the holy volcano (get it? church warden... volcano... get it? ah nevermind)

rev
Back to top Go down
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm

And this is my blowfish, I fixed the button a bit and bent the stem slightly. Think it makes a difference.

rev
Back to top Go down
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:10 pm

I like all of those!

I think the bending the stem on the blowfish added a nice touch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 pm

The flat-sided blowfish isn't my thing (and I'm a blowfish nut), but the execution looks acceptable, and now even more so with the stem bend. It's the first rusticated 'fish I've seen.

The Holy Volcano is neat, I appreciate the rounded bottom, but the fact it appears it can balance and "sit" as-is.

Nice stuff, Rev. Very Happy

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:47 pm

I just spent some time with the blowfish, and she says she may be square but at least she can count pass ten without using her toes.

Smile

thanks for looking brother

rev
Back to top Go down
Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:49 pm

I like the Brapple just as she sits.

I'm not a fan of the Blowfish genre, but that's a fine looking stem. Nice work.

Something a bout "Holy Volcano" summons images of ritual sacrifice. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

...are you sure she can count at all? Not that I'd trace her lineage back to the trailer park, but...

Laughing

Just teasin' you Rev...I'd expect the same in return. cheers

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:52 pm

you hang out in a much nicer trailer park than I my friend Smile

Does the scooped out bit not show very well? because they are not really that flat at all

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm sophistitrash nowadays, Rev, that means only high-class parks for me. Cool My pink flamingos are restored vintage n' stuff. Razz

Part of the reason why I personally don't like the teardrop shape or any that even allude to having "flat sides" is the right angles. They don't flow as nicely, and unless there's spectacular grain/birdseye to show off, sometimes they have a blocky, lost vibe to 'em. Then again, I see the same shape I am not partial to is offered by big-time carvers selling for $1,500+...so, what do I know? Laughing

About the only thing I could say is between the dark color and the rustication, some of the more subtle features are hidden (in pictures, anyhow).

It's art, and there are critics among fools. I could be either.

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:19 pm

brother, I appreciate the input. The bummer is the grain was stunning, but had a lot of pits. A friend said I should have just left it natural anyways and perhaps that is true. But I kinda like how weird it is. In person it is actually a dark blue with brown speckles. Being that it has a crack into the chamber this winds up being my pipe anyways.

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:31 pm

When we eventually talk about a pipe for me, Rev ('cause I like your style Twisted Evil ) you won't have to worry about finish: I think small pits are best left as "personality" for the pipe. Unless you have some killer rustication technique you've been dying to try. I'm sure you've seen "natural" pipes that had no stain applied to them; they color beautifully as they are smoked, and the rusticated ones seem to get even more vivid.

What I hate are bad fills. The kind that color unnaturally over time, when they were probably such minute blemishes the carver only made them worse by effin' around with 'em.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:52 pm

well it would be a great honor to make a pipe for you, a truly great honor

one which I will charge you handsomely for

Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Nice stuff Rev!! Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:14 am

the rev wrote:
... one which I will charge you handsomely for

Smile

rev

Ermmm ... I guess I don't need to inquire about a price on the Brapple.

Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:31 am

the rev wrote:
well it would be a great honor to make a pipe for you, a truly great honor

one which I will charge you handsomely for

Smile

rev

I would hope so... I've earned it, freely offering my random quips and all. Laughing The price goes up by each response. Twisted Evil

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Steveaux wrote:
the rev wrote:
... one which I will charge you handsomely for

Smile

rev

Ermmm ... I guess I don't need to inquire about a price on the Brapple.

Sad

all of the pipes I am doing right now are commissions I will be making pipes for sale after Christmas, but I would like to do as many commissions as possible, as I like the idea of making a pipe for a person, rather than making it for potential money.

but thanks for appreciating my pipe

rev
Back to top Go down
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Very nice surface treatment on that volcano! The smooth base contrasts nicely with the rustication, sort of amplifying both of the textures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 pm

wow thanks

rev
Back to top Go down
Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 am

Rev, that blowfish is just down right nasty brother! Just that nice bend you put to the stem has changed the whole perspective of the pipes image. It reminds me of a stingray in motion from the 1/4 angle photo. I like it! It amazes me, as I'm also a carver, how a subtle change of angle, linage or curvature, can change so much character and emotion in a pipe. From what I have seen of your work, you, like myself are an artist with sculptural abilities, and it all about expression. Not saying that making classical shapes is bad, or not artistic, or expressing yourself, but by sticking to the standards you may not be expressing yourself the way you want.
I also feel it closes a few doors to possibly discovering new design possibilities of shapes, and even engineering. Good job Rev! Keep up the good work brother! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boulderandbriar.com
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:37 am

I am now working on a conceptual treatment of classic shapes that will be very fun. I am going to do a post modern deconstruction of the classical shapes. I looked at a Frank Geary building and my mind just took off. There is so much you can do, the thing for me is, can I learn to do it well?

Thank you for your kind words. I was proud of that blowfish, and bummed I could not share it with someone else. Yet a part of me will enjoy smoking it myself Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 am

That Blowfish is extraordinary, I saw the shots of it prior to the rustication and colouring, I must say it did look rather fetching then but it also looked a little too much like a bone. How you've finished it is absolutely stunning, ignore Kyle, he's still sulking because he can't pull up his socks by himself yet, just kidding Kyle, or am I, mwahaha. I love the pipe Rev, job well done, smoke it in peace. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 pm

thanks brother

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish   Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
ignore Kyle, he's still sulking because he can't pull up his socks by himself yet, just kidding Kyle, or am I, mwahaha.

Oi! Shut ye trap, droogie! Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

two new pipes and an updated version of my blowfish
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next