HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:32 pm

I have...

I'm sitting out here reading BOB posts, in 75 degree weather, with the crickets and frogs singing away, accompanied by the occasional sound of the pecans dropping, and I guess it's put me in story telling mood. So here goes.

Several years back when I lived in Colorado Springs, I'd have the guys over for an occasional energetic game of risk. We'd get all the important snacks around, pizza flavored Combos, Chips and Salsa, and of course a 1lb carton of the cookies that have a chocolate top, vanilla bottom and creme filling, kind of like a cheap Oreo. And a good game of Risk just wasn't the same without a variety of cigars and pipes, and an ale or two.

We played in the heat of summer or dead cold of winter, but always in the garage, so we could smoke all we wanted. This particular event occurred in the winter. We pulled out the cars, set up the snacks and the Risk game, and we got the garage warming up with my neighbor's space heater. We got our cigars and pipes lit, chose our areas for attack and got the dice rolling.

Now, any good game of Risk can go at least 3 hours, so we were locked and loaded and headed for world domination. About an hour into the game, the garage got nice and warm, to the point where we ended up comfortably playing away in short sleeved t-shirts. I can't remember how the game was going, or who was winning (probably my brother-in-law), but I was having a particularly hard time getting my Colibri lighter to work, not really abnormal for a Colibri at hight altitude, or any altitude. So, the matches came out and the game went on. After we had all finished a round or better of cigars or pipes, I suggested we open the garage door real quick to let out some smoke. So we did, but got it down quickly to avoid loosing too much of our heat.

Anyone see where this is going yet?

Once the garage door was back down and the game was back on, I proceeded to light up a new cigar...or pipe (can't remember), when I noticed that my lighter was working again! Score! It wasn't long however until she petered out again and I had to resort back to matches.

Well, I didn't put the connection together then, probably because I was in the process of killing myself, but it was oddly curious that every time I opened my garage door up to get the smoke out, my lighter would start working again.

See, the space heater we were using was one of those jet engine style kerosene heaters that threw out a nice blue flame, and it was literally burning up all of or oxygen. We were slowly running out of oxygen in the garage, and every time we opened the door back up, my lighter would work again, because oxygen came back in.

Needless to say, by the end of that night we were feeling extremely sick and were probably pretty close to needing a ride to the hospital.

So the moral of the story? If you're playing 5 hour risk games in a closed room with a space heater taking up all of your oxygen, remember to use matches and not a lighter....

Wait, is that the right moral?? I swear I used to be smarter before that night. Very Happy

I'm sure there are plenty of better pipe stories out there that will top this one. Any one want to chime in with yours?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Growley wrote:

So the moral of the story? If you're playing 5 hour risk games in a closed room with a space heater taking up all of your oxygen, remember to use matches and not a lighter....

Wait, is that the right moral?? I swear I used to be smarter before that night.
Very Happy

lol!

Great story there, Brian. I wouldn't have to worry... I always use matches! Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:44 pm

If anything, pipe smoking saved your life... Or tried to.

I miss Growley. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:16 am

Awesome story brother, and boy do I love me a game of Risk. This is exactly why I will have my own little smoking room in my house.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Nice little incident there Growley, congratulations for remaining among the living. I also am a keen risk player, have several collector sets including LOTR and Original Trilogy Star Wars Risk. They are all surprisingly good to play!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Call it self-preservation, or the fact I heard tales of more than one camper/vagrant suffocating in a tent with a propane heater blastin' away... Laughing ...I would have been the spoilsport that pointed that out. That's an interesting Risk tactical variant, though...

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:05 pm

You guys must've been stumbling around when you got up! Shocked

I've almost killed myself fussing with my pipe in the car a few times. That's just plain stupidity on my part though. My dad would say I'm killing myself every time I light the pipe up, too. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:27 pm

MisterE wrote:
You guys must've been stumbling around when you got up! Shocked

We were. In fact, my brother-in-law who had ridden over on his motorcycle (yes, in the middle of winter) couldn't ride home. I had him take my car.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Happy to hear we didn't lose a talented pipe carver and an all around stand up guy to a Darwin Award like demise. Razz

Scary. Seriously. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?   Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Happy to hear we didn't lose a talented pipe carver and an all around stand up guy to a Darwin Award like demise. Razz

Scary. Seriously. affraid

I laughed when I read the part about the Darwin Awards.
Back to top Go down

Ever almost killed yourself smoking a pipe?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: