HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Snow.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 am

It is snowing in Boston. As well as most of the NE coastal area thanks to Athena.

It has been windy, wet and cold all day as well as heavily overcast. Is actually kind of nice. Feel somewhat bad for saying that given the difficulty it is surely causing elsewhere but I am enjoying the snow. I have a good scarf, and a good coat and my wits about me. The snow did not really start sticking until after sundown and since then we have accumulated nearly 2" in my neck of the city.

I have been pulling my pipes out more and more as I walk around the city. Tonight was no exception, sure it was a short walk, but I do like a pipe in snow. Just have to be careful of things getting to wet. Smoked some 3 noggins for the first time in my first pipe during the first snow in my new city. Just kind of works. 3 Noggins is a good tobacco as well, very tasty with lots of nice thick smoke for the wind to swirl around and carry off.

Hope the brothers experiencing the Athena weather are doing well and hopefully the storm will not add to any existing problems should you still be recovering from Sandy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:44 am

Be well, and stay warm, eastern Brothers.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:19 am

Sounds delightful, Kiev. I am so jealous of you northern guys... perhaps one day!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 am

Yeah, no snow here yet either. Some of you guys are lucky!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 am

I want snow darn it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Keep that snow up there in Boston! We don't want any here in Maryland until February or late March......
But, my 17 HP Ariens snow blower is ready to rock & roll if required. (new to me!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 pm

If the good Lord had intended us to live in frozen condensation we would not have been born buck nekkid Twisted Evil Twisted Evil We had some of that stuff last year for a couple of hours, TOO MUCH Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Love the snow. Peaceful, serene.

Must be nice. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 pm

I like the snow. But I prefer it to be somewhere useful. Like ski slopes..

Down here we get it once every 3 -5 years where it will stick. It's generally gone within a day or two when it gets back up to 70 degrees or so....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Snow is anything but peaceful and serene over the hill from you, D&B: we usually get 60MPH winds and a severe temperature drop, and then sideways blasting ice. Laughing It's rare we get that quiet, falling, magical snow. No, not Nevada.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:06 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Snow is anything but peaceful and serene over the hill from you, D&B: we usually get 60MPH winds and a severe temperature drop, and then sideways blasting ice. Laughing It's rare we get that quiet, falling, magical snow. No, not Nevada.

Cool

Edit - "I love the Tahoe Basin snow, peaceful, serene." Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:19 am

Still waiting for our first snow. Right now in that uncomfortable season..still have gas in the lawnmower and just filled up and ran the snow thrower. East coast has had an exceptionally unlucky fall!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 am

No thanks. Evil or Very Mad
I shoveled enough of that shit in my youth
and slid off the road a time or two.
We get a little taste of snow every
few years. That's enough for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:08 am

kaiser83 wrote:
I want snow darn it all.

Be careful what you wish for. After living in LA for 23 years and having only seen snow fall twice, I was hankering for some real "white Christmas" type stuff when I moved north. After one winter in Syracuse, NY, I was cured. Beautiful stuff, I'd just prefer it in smaller doses. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:10 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
kaiser83 wrote:
I want snow darn it all.

Be careful what you wish for. After living in LA for 23 years and having only seen snow fall twice, I was hankering for some real "white Christmas" type stuff when I moved north. After one winter in Syracuse, NY, I was cured. Beautiful stuff, I'd just prefer it in smaller doses. Razz

And for the opposite perspective: I grew up in and around NYC and I went to school up in Albany. After college I came down here to Philly. Its only about 140 miles south of the town I grew up in, but we get significantly less snow here. The real difference, though, is in the amount of time the snow spends on the ground. In NY, we would get snow from October through April, but we had snow on the ground from mid December through February. Here, even in the middle of January, the snow is gone and the ground is bare within a week of the storm.

I miss my New York winters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:47 pm

We are expecting our first major snow storm this weekend. 10 to 20 cm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:56 am

The snow that we had is all melted away except in those locations where it was piled together after shoveling). Only rain on the immediate horizon for the foreseeable future. Though this is Boston, I expect more snow to be here sooner than later.

Having lived in Idaho and spent much time in the mountains as well as the valley I am used to serious snow fall with great depth and ferocity as well as calm gentle snow fall that produces serenity and then again also scant snow fall. Snow does not bother me, the storms do not bother me. However, it does bother me when things do not work because of the snow. Be it the people who moved to Idaho from California and freak out in the rain let alone a light snow flurry or the break down in the public transportation system. The former bothered me a lot as I drove (and very well) in Idaho and the latter will bother me as I do not have a car. Ah well. I can be me and plan for these things and that will help. Better than just being POed at everybody else for there inability to do things... which may not fair but it sure it seems that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:50 pm

UberHuberMan, my wife grew up north of Watertown on the St. Lawrence. Most of the town shut down during the winter except for the bars!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:37 pm

4"- 8" expected in the Cascade upper elevations tonight. That includes the Snoqualmie pass at around 4K ft.

Too early for this kind of nonsense!

Evil or Very Mad

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 pm

bosun1 wrote:
UberHuberMan, my wife grew up north of Watertown on the St. Lawrence. Most of the town shut down during the winter except for the bars!

I ran a route up there for several years. Of course the bars and restaurants is where I had to deliver to. I've noticed that over the years that the St Lawrence area gets almost as much snow as Syracuse. Sometimes they get even more.

I Hate Snow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 am

dbreazeale wrote:
bosun1 wrote:

I ran a route up there for several years. Of course the bars and restaurants is where I had to deliver to. I've noticed that over the years that the St Lawrence area gets almost as much snow as Syracuse. Sometimes they get even more.

I Hate Snow!

My folks have a cabin up that way (on Three Mile Bay). Though, my buddy in Syracuse technically gets more snow - 114" vs. 115".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipesbyjake

Registration date : 2012-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 am

Woke up to white streets this morning in Minneapolis. Now we wait to see if it's like last year (didn't even count), or the year before (actually crushed hundreds of houses)... It's so much fun living in the North!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.etsy.com/shop/pipesbyjake
lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:58 pm

pipesbyjake wrote:
Woke up to white streets this morning in Minneapolis. Now we wait to see if it's like last year (didn't even count), or the year before (actually crushed hundreds of houses)... It's so much fun living in the North!

Sounds like you got most of the Colorado Low.

I for one am glad to see some substantial snow early on. Last January the underground (10 feet down a vertical culvert) line from our well pump froze because of lack of insulating snow over the well head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipesbyjake

Registration date : 2012-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Similar problem here, except it was mostly dead young trees in the city. Although we mostly notice the couple of recent years with huge piles of snow, the ones with none are just as abnormal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.etsy.com/shop/pipesbyjake
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Snow.   Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:23 pm

The little snow we had a week or two ago is just a memory now. Sad I would really enjoy some snow, it's so damn dark already and snow helps with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Snow.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next