HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I think I may be a biter.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:38 am

Its just possible that I may be a biter. Check out the close ups of my 80s Harp... they speak volumes.

I'd noticed the last few times I smoked my Peterson, the lip was feeling quite rough, or at least not as smooth as when I first started. This bothers me a bit, not because I care about selling or passing on my pipes in perfect condition, but because I don't want to damage or degrade them for myself and my own use. I was especially concerned that I don't mark up my pretty darn expensive Askwith pipe like I had my (starter) Peterson. If fact, I was being so ginger with my Askwith tonight that I was trying to clench it with just my lips, and if anyone had been watching me they would have seen the pipe dancing around in my mouth as I tried to keep it under control, eventually leading to it somersaulting out of my mouth and attempting ownericide on me by fire. When it eventually hit the patio after a furious bit of flailing on my part, it took a little dent right on the lip. Ironically, the first mark on the pipe was caused by me trying too hard not to mark it.

I know this has come up before, about how to protect stems from chewing without spoiling the feel and taste of the pipe in your mouth, but when I read that post many moons ago I had no idea what people were talking about, I think the general consensus was that bite protectors make your pipe taste like rubber, and there was some other kind of melt on solution that DIY type handy people understood how to apply... but I was lost. And now I cant find the thread again for reference. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a solution? I don't want to go Jaws on my good pipes!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:56 am

Heh, well... it'll buff out.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PreppyHippy

Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:39 am

Greyson my friend, I'd suggest the cheap softie bits. What a relief to the conscience when one uses them! I've been using them for a long time, and after a couple dozen smokes of a pipe need to replace them for all the small tooth abrasions they keep from landing on my stems. I really don't know about tasting rubber, because I don't taste them (or I've become inured to it), but what I do know about is how significantly more comfortable the stem is in my mouth and how I can put it there, rest it there, and have no worries. Also the pipe doesn't bob up and down as I adjust it in my mouth or try to find the right place for the stem in my teeth--the softie bit acts like a shock absorber in this way.

Try it out, I say to you and all brothers and sisters reading this. What do you have to lose? Maybe you'll hate a softie bit, I'm not asking you to love them, but in this great world you've got the chance to try them out and find out for yourself. I think they'll make smoking the Asquith a worry free pleasure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 am

Hey Grey, they were talking about heat shrink for electrical work. Stuffs pretty darn cheap and will get the job done for you. You might also try a bite protector just to draw your own opinions from it, for me I didn't get the rubber taste just was a tad more bulky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:41 am

How long did it take to develop those, Greyson? Usually takes me about 5 years
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm

If you are a "clencher" you will mark your stems more especially with softer vulcanite/ebonite bits. But yours don't look all that bad to my mind. No worse than mine I'd say. If it bothers you get some of those "softie" bit protectors. I tried 'em a few years ago and did not get any "rubber" taste but they made the bit way to thick for my comfort since I have full dentures and require a thinner bit. If you have access to a buffing wheel a few seconds will take those marks away till the next time you feel the need. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I shall look into the softie bits as you have mentioned and the electrical shrink stuff if they don't work.

@ DrT I only took up pipe smoking about 6 months ago,and my Peterson was my first pipe, so yeah 5 or 6 months of biting / clenching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Vinyl water tubing works well to protect the bit too. Not as soft as the Softies and a tad thicker perhaps. Tom (NWpipe Smoker) on youtube demonstrates how he does it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Hey Andy, if you want to try out some softie protectors I have a couple I can send you. I use them occasionally and they don't add any taste.

They protect the end real good but you have to get used to the bulky feeling. And I always remove them after smoking the pipe.

Anyhow, pm me if you'd like to check them out.

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:02 pm

That's very kind of you Brewdude, but I actually just ordered some about 30 mins before I saw your reply. Do you have to remove them after smoking every time?? That sounds annoying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Greyson wrote:
That's very kind of you Brewdude, but I actually just ordered some about 30 mins before I saw your reply. Do you have to remove them after smoking every time?? That sounds annoying.

I don't, but I do remove them when giving my pipes a thorough cleaning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Greyson wrote:

It's not a big deal Andy. I've read where leaving them on can cause oxidation under the area, so that's why I do it. They slip on and off pretty well anyway. Anyhow that's what I do FWIW.

Glad you got some coming to try.

Frankly I can't seem to get on with them, even though I'm a biter.

silent

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:39 am

You and me both brother! I keep the rubber bits in stock, all my pipes wear them and I have about 5 extras in backup. They are a bit big for my cobs though Crying or Very sad , going to try out the whole shrink tube thing for those this weekend. I like my pipe to sit right where my canine tooth can get a grip on it; it makes me shudder to imagine what my stems would look like if I didn't discover rubber bite bits right off the bat. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 am

I recently started using rubber bite covers - I find them ok on my pipes that have medium sized stems but when I tried them on any of my thicker stemmed pipes it actually brought on a gag reflex and an unpleasant hazy flashback of being choked with a mouthful of latex. Somebody must have been harsh when I was being fed a bottle as an infant.........or maybe it has something to do with that S&M club I used to visit..... Twisted Evil

Fraternally

Jers

Last edited by Jers on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:32 am

I've seen both black and clear bit protectors send like the clear ones would be made out of latex and not have that sulfur rubber taste.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:09 am

There are high grade bit protectors, and also the cheaper versions. Turns out, the cheaper versions work well on pipes that have extra wide bits, like a couple of my Mario Grandi pipes. The bits are so wide, it was impossible to get a high grade bit protector to slide onto them, even lubing them up a little. With the cheaper bits, you can stretch them over the bit easier, and once they are in place and tight, they work great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:44 am

I've only heard the brand name 'Softie' mentioned Dutch, and I wasn't even able to get them over here (I ordered what I think will be a generic set), but I'd be interested to know what people think are the higher grade versions - what brand or shop do you feel makes the best ones? And I've never seen a clear one as i.Keenum mentioned, would anyone have a shop link for those?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:10 am

I bought the clear bits from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130471734257?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

They took a while arriving but they seem fairly effective - I'm smoking my Pete 221 now which has a clear bit fitted and it works great.

I'll post over a couple for you to try.

BTW it was my Mario Grandi that almost made me hurl when I tried using the bit protector over the stem! YMMV as always.

Fraternally

Jers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:25 am

Ah, that'd be awesome Jers if you have any spare, don't let me rob you of your stock if you need em though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:39 am

Every time I read the thread title I think back to how much time my daughter spent in time out in preschool for being a biter Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: I think I may be a biter.   Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 am

Greyson wrote:
I've only heard the brand name 'Softie' mentioned Dutch, and I wasn't even able to get them over here (I ordered what I think will be a generic set), but I'd be interested to know what people think are the higher grade versions - what brand or shop do you feel makes the best ones? And I've never seen a clear one as i.Keenum mentioned, would anyone have a shop link for those?

Greyson, I'm not sure what brand name the higher grade bits are, as my local tobacconist has a huge bag of them for sale behind the counter, and sell them individually. If you want to PM me your mailing address, I can pick you up a few next time I go to the shop, and drop them in the mail to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I think I may be a biter.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: