HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Making Pipe Rack Divit's

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

Making Pipe Rack Divit's  Empty
PostSubject: Making Pipe Rack Divit's    Making Pipe Rack Divit's  EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Any brothers out there that can help me. I was on this site about a year ago & found a link explaining how to make pipe rack divit's symetrical. Now that i've got around to getting some decent wood for the project i'd like to make one out of spruce first so that i don't @#@# it up. Any one know the link or post, searched the other day for an hour & never found it. One bonus about not getting the rack done yet was my wife got tired of so many pipe's laying around & had her uncle build me a nice pipe box for my brithday. (other one i picked up in Mexico was full).
Back to top Go down
Steveaux

Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Making Pipe Rack Divit's    Making Pipe Rack Divit's  EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 pm

If you mean "divots" ...

Check this thread
Back to top Go down
pipesbyjake

pipesbyjake

Registration date : 2012-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Making Pipe Rack Divit's    Making Pipe Rack Divit's  EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 12:56 am

Very helpful. I've been struggling with the same thing. Now to see if I can get these out of my drill-press turned router table!
Back to top Go down
http://www.etsy.com/shop/pipesbyjake
BriarBrad

Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Making Pipe Rack Divit's    Making Pipe Rack Divit's  EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:14 pm

It is called a core box bit. Available at woodcraft and other sites or fine cabinet shops. A 3/4 x 1/4 shaft is about 30 bucks. Cut a jig clamp to piece and apply router.

Done.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Making Pipe Rack Divit's    Making Pipe Rack Divit's  EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 pm

I draw a few circles with a nice compass...laid out to suit the shape of the wood...then using one of several (or perhaps several) carving gouges...

Making Pipe Rack Divit's  58d0303s1

...and my handy dandy carver's mallet (looks somewhat like this one)...

Making Pipe Rack Divit's  27e0501s1

It really takes about 5 minutes. And the ONE THING I would advise you to take into consideration is to measure how close together some of the commercials packs put the divots...and make yours AT LEAST 1 1/2 times farther apart...or more. I have a lot of those 6 hole racks and not only will my stems not fit into their cut hole (diameter too small...I like slots better) I literally can't fit more than 5 pipes in there securely. Give yourself ROOM for a good sized pipe...that's all.

Making Pipe Rack Divit's  D6bddf10Making Pipe Rack Divit's  29400910Making Pipe Rack Divit's  114e6110Making Pipe Rack Divit's  Ddb39b10Making Pipe Rack Divit's  Cf77ce10Making Pipe Rack Divit's  Dd692012Making Pipe Rack Divit's  Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Making Pipe Rack Divit's    Making Pipe Rack Divit's  EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I draw a few circles with a nice compass...laid out to suit the shape of the wood...then using one of several (or perhaps several) carving gouges...

Making Pipe Rack Divit's  58d0303s1

...and my handy dandy carver's mallet (looks somewhat like this one)...

Making Pipe Rack Divit's  27e0501s1

It really takes about 5 minutes. And the ONE THING I would advise you to take into consideration is to measure how close together some of the commercials packs put the divots...and make yours AT LEAST 1 1/2 times farther apart...or more. I have a lot of those 6 hole racks and not only will my stems not fit into their cut hole (diameter too small...I like slots better) I literally can't fit more than 5 pipes in there securely. Give yourself ROOM for a good sized pipe...that's all.

Interesting. I'll have to give this a try on some scrap pine of something to see if I can do it. Thanks for the tip, BH.
Back to top Go down

Making Pipe Rack Divit's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: