HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What's wrong with this pipe!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 am

Maybe I can get some feedback from folk here on this mystery of mine, I have this Alpha Bridge pipe that I had put up for trade on my own site and SF but have received virtually no interest in it. I had one guy show interest but I forgot who that was and he chose not to come forward when I stated I couldn't remember who he was. I had a guy on SF show interest but he was in America and with the trade he offered against the costs of shipping and packaging I would have virtually have been giving the pipe away.

I did think this was a particularly nice pipe myself but folk showing so little interest in it has led me to wonder if I am simply one of those folk with awful taste in pipes, I really did think it was a good pipe, now I am wondering if I've lost the plot.

What do folk here think to this pipe, is it really that crap!?!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rusty Mouse

Registration date : 2012-01-10

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:17 am

I don't think it's crap at all, hell, I'd buy it.

Sometimes you just can't predict the pipe market. The pipe you'd least expect to sell is gone in a split second, and a pipe you think's gorgeous could hang around forever, without reason. I see it happen all the time, in fact I just looked to see if a pipe I'm wanting to buy was still on the site, thinking it would surely be gone, but it's still there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 am

Bridge pipes are wicked cool IMO. I don't think it is ugly at all, just not a classic shape like some people collect. You have fine taste Kirk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:22 am

I think interest in 70s era Danish freehands and pipes inspired by that style is at an all time low. Obviously the Danish school didn't falter, all you have to do is look at all the Americans and Russians copying it. It's the predominant school today. It's just that the big, unfinished look of the old Danish freehands is not really what people are looking for.

On top of that, these pipes tend to be huge. What are you going to smoke in them besides Burley? I can smoke a Va flake in a group 3 lovat for 2 hours. That's about all my attention span can handle. I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Big, heavy pipes are out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:52 am

sisyphus wrote:
I think interest in 70s era Danish freehands and pipes inspired by that style is at an all time low. Obviously the Danish school didn't falter, all you have to do is look at all the Americans and Russians copying it. It's the predominant school today. It's just that the big, unfinished look of the old Danish freehands is not really what people are looking for.

On top of that, these pipes tend to be huge. What are you going to smoke in them besides Burley? I can smoke a Va flake in a group 3 lovat for 2 hours. That's about all my attention span can handle. I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Big, heavy pipes are out.

Humans have been smoking pipes for thousands of years, how is it that a small group of people are getting hung up on the 1970's.

Countless brand spanking new pipes are modelled on the style, I guess it's true to say that you don't like them, but should you really be speaking for the entire World!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 am

Rusty Mouse wrote:
I don't think it's crap at all, hell, I'd buy it.

Sometimes you just can't predict the pipe market. The pipe you'd least expect to sell is gone in a split second, and a pipe you think's gorgeous could hang around forever, without reason. I see it happen all the time, in fact I just looked to see if a pipe I'm wanting to buy was still on the site, thinking it would surely be gone, but it's still there!

I probably should have advertised it for trade here then, thanks for the kind words, you're a Gent'. Smile

kaiser83 wrote:
Bridge pipes are wicked cool IMO. I don't think it is ugly at all, just not a classic shape like some people collect. You have fine taste Kirk.

Appreciate your comment, you're a gentleman, thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:04 am

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:

Countless brand spanking new pipes are modelled on the style

what, cheap Nording freehands and Randy Wileys? No one wants those either Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:00 am

I love the old Danish styles from the 70's. Just wait till some pipe guy everybody adores starts talking about the merits and marvelousness of those big clunky pipes that people make fun of right now, and everybody will be paying top price for them and be talking about how they ALWAYS loved them.

Personally, I'm not one to follow fashion or care much about what is popular. I love my big old Danish freehands and get great smokes from them. I know, impossible!, right? Laughing

And I really like your bridge pipe. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm

I seriously love that pipe, it is amazing to me. The first pipe I made was a "bridge" pipe, I like big, hold in your hand pipes. I am spending all of my money on wood and tools right now, but if I was spending money on pipes this is one I would consider.

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:39 pm

There is nothing wrong with that pipe, but that style of really large "Danish Freehand" was seen a lot more often back in the 70s as has been mentioned before and is maybe not "the " style of "freehand" as is desired today. I was not a big fan of the style even back in the 70s and the most "freehand" style of pipes I own are three Charatans which are far more restrained in style than the Danish. I would also think that the size of the bowl might also have something to do with it, that's a BIG deep bowl and not everyone want's or can smoke that much 'bac at one sitting Razz None of this makes it a "bad" pipe, just some of my imppresions from the photos you provided. JMHO Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Simple Man wrote:
I love the old Danish styles from the 70's. Just wait till some pipe guy everybody adores starts talking about the merits and marvelousness of those big clunky pipes that people make fun of right now, and everybody will be paying top price for them and be talking about how they ALWAYS loved them.

Personally, I'm not one to follow fashion or care much about what is popular. I love my big old Danish freehands and get great smokes from them. I know, impossible!, right?

And I really like your bridge pipe.

To be honest, I would have thought that being 'victims to fashion' was not something one would attribute to pipe smokers, seems I am mistaken with 'some' pipe smokers, I am much like yourself, I like what I like because it appeals to 'me' and not because some misplaced sense of fashion is dictating my preferences.

the rev wrote:
I seriously love that pipe, it is amazing to me. The first pipe I made was a "bridge" pipe, I like big, hold in your hand pipes. I am spending all of my money on wood and tools right now, but if I was spending money on pipes this is one I would consider.

rev

I like yourself simply adore this pipe, it is a beauty and smokes incredibly well, I am one who enjoys a long stout smoke, this pipe certainly delivers on the long part.

monbla256 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with that pipe, but that style of really large "Danish Freehand" was seen a lot more often back in the 70s as has been mentioned before and is maybe not "the " style of "freehand" as is desired today. I was not a big fan of the style even back in the 70s and the most "freehand" style of pipes I own are three Charatans which are far more restrained in style than the Danish. I would also think that the size of the bowl might also have something to do with it, that's a BIG deep bowl and not everyone want's or can smoke that much 'bac at one sitting Razz None of this makes it a "bad" pipe, just some of my imppresions from the photos you provided. JMHO Twisted Evil

Gotta give you this much, it is indeed a 'deep bowl', certainly not for the faint hearted folk who can't tolerate a long smoke, I enjoy a 'strong smoke' that lasts a good long while. I am well aware there are some folk who just don't like this type of pipe, but I really wanted views on this pipe itself as opposed to the style in general. I wondered if the pipe itself were simply too ghastly, having virtually no interest shown in it kind of made me feel uncomfortable with myself to be honest for loving this pipe as much as I do. I only put it up for trade out of sheer desperation. Having recently'ish losing a goodly sum of money and then giving half my smokes to a dear friend who was to repay the debt who recently passed away kind of put me in the old dire straights really, ah well, such is life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:22 pm

My dear friend Kirk...

...considering I'm one of those few that can take a small to modest size bowlful of tobacco and make it last two hours, that pipe, I do have to say, would take me at least half a day to finish. Laughing That's my qualm with it. As far as looks? I tell you what, I'm not a fan of the cheapy, mass-produced freehands. This not being one of those, it had a lot of care, consideration for the grain and creativity put into it. In fact, of the freehands I do like (which aren't many) they MUST meet that criteria strongly--care, consideration and creativity. This one is right on the money. Often the reason why I don't go for freehands besides look is as mentioned--bowl capacity. Too much for me. They're also a little harder to lug around in certain configurations...this one would be tough to squeeze into a case with other pipes.

So true, in twenty years, when all of this switches over and back 'round again, here you'll have the pipe that sells for $3,000 on eBay because it's the pinnacle of "pipeness." Laughing

Just a matter of time, the right person needs to be found, but with a unique piece like this, you just need a broader audience.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I agree with sisyphus on this one. The pipe you have there is a great example that was wildly popular in the 70s. The market has grown and evolved since then and these pipes are simply not in as high a demand as they used to be. This doesn't mean that some pipe smokers are slaves to vogue. We all are. All people are, whether you'd like to believe otherwise or not. In fact, a portion of every community has it's group of people who are "rebels" and don't go with the grain, so to speak. They're following a societal trend when they participate in rebelling against societal trends.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this pipe because it appears to me to be unbalanced, lacks flow or comprehension, and has a cheap looking stem in it. If you like it and if others like it, that's great! However, as you experienced, there seem to be a majority who either weren't interested in paying what you were asking or simply don't agree with you about this pipe. That does not make them, or you, wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 pm

I gotta say, I think that's a really cool looking pipe.

However, I am holding out for one with 4 holes that can double as a set of brass (briar) knuckes. Twisted Evil

Seriously though, very cool pipe, and an interesting design. You don't see bridge pipes everyday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

However, I am holding out for one with 4 holes that can double as a set of brass (briar) knuckes. Twisted Evil

Heh. Badass. Twisted Evil Very Happy cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:02 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
This doesn't mean that some pipe smokers are slaves to vogue. We all are. All people are, whether you'd like to believe otherwise or not. In fact, a portion of every community has it's group of people who are "rebels" and don't go with the grain, so to speak. They're following a societal trend when they participate in rebelling against societal trends.

scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I guess I'm weird. I've never been a slave to vogues or anti-vogues, just keying in on what suits my actual smoking. Do I get crap for bringing a bunch of cobs to the pipe parties? Yes. Do I care? Not so much. I'm too busy enjoying the smoke. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:17 pm

I smoked my little medico at the pipe show, cause like a honey badger...

I just don't

well

care

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:20 pm

I love doing things like that. Smoking some uncouth pipe in the presence of "men of taste." It means I don't have to waste time mincing words with them.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm

it wasn't so much that, as I don't have any pipes. I can either make pipes or buy them. I don't have the money for both. Especially this year, daughters wedding and a big tax bill. So... I make do with the cheap medico, and dr. Grabow, and my own carved monstrosity. When these commisions are done I will probably make myself a nice little bent nose warmer Smile

I don't try to impress or thumb my nose at others. Growing up in the punk rock scene... I did that already. Now, I just wear what I like, I will smoke in this case what I have, and will not care what anyone else thinks about it.

just call me reverend honey badger Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Well, of course not. Putting effort into joining or nose-thumbing just doesn't make sense. It also doesn't mean we have to ignore enjoyment out of not having to play that game, either. Circumstantial, but advantageous. Smile

I've hung out with the DGAF crew. They're alright, provided that isn't their version of status, too.

One of my cobs is ambassadorial in a sense, because it's developing a neat, tobacco-darkened band around the middle. I call it a "war stripe," because the attitude at my local Tinder Box is "cobs are disposable." I like to go on about how they aren't, the history, intricacies and true toughness of the little things. Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Wish I had a dollar for every time I impulsively blundered into this conversation.

The well-known, admirably democratic response is, "There's no accounting for taste." Okay, but if there were, what would it be? It seems to me that the best summary is, "Form follows function." A thing should look like what it is intended for. It's form should enhance its purpose. Using a thing as intended should not require work arounds. Using a thing as intended should be a pleasure. So how might that apply to pipes?

They should immediately look like something to smoke. Loading and lighting and smoking tobacco should be pleasant and relaxing. They should be easily portable for the smoker's convenience. It's preferable that they should speak to the mood of the smoker, whether it be serious, sporty, thoughtful, jaunty, active, sedantary . . .

The reason this kind of pipe has become anachronistic, I'd say, is that the design doesn't enhance use; instead, it obstructs it and calls attention to itself. In doing so, it makes the smoker seem cootish, obscure, odd.

FWIW, I was recently invited to cease applying this theory on a site for automobile fanciers. I had made no personal references to other posters, but my overall approach was deemed unwelcome by the moderators. Their mantra was that a car isn't an appliance. Perhaps not, I responded, but it is manifestly a machine and machines have a purpose. A true automobile enthusiast, they said, delighted in cars that looked like service pods to a space ship and required backup cameras to see out of. They saw this as ground-breaking progress, turning the page to a whole new chapter etc etc. My slavish support of functionality was offensive to the cognisenti (sp) they replied and my posting privileges were no more.

Well, I hope pipers are more tolerant than car geeks Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 pm

I don't like it, but I wouldn't give you any grief if your brought it to my house and smoked it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:07 am

form follows function, ok

I like a big pipe that fits in my hand rather than some dainty thing that I hold with my fingers. This "feel" enhances my experience. So even this supposedly objective function centered approach is in fact subjective.

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:15 am

Kevin, that's a good point. Mayhaps a suggestion to load up your pipe and use it for the intended purpose of relaxation. Laughing Then you'll be a step ahead of whatever forum from whence you were scorned--never a bad thing.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What's wrong with this pipe!?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next