HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What's wrong with this pipe!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:53 am

the rev wrote:
form follows function, ok

I like a big pipe that fits in my hand rather than some dainty thing that I hold with my fingers. This "feel" enhances my experience. So even this supposedly objective function centered approach is in fact subjective.

rev

Agreed. It's either this or all of us that like the pipe are "cootish, obscure, odd". Well, I may be all three of those things, but I STILL like my big 70s Danish pipes. Here's a thought, just an opinion mind you, I was 10 - 15 years old when these pipes were at the height of their popularity, the men I knew who were pipe smokers that I really admired smoked some of these style of pipes. Perhaps I just feel a bit of nostalgia and connection to those men that I loved to be around when I was a kid. I also loved the time period. Life was still making sense to me back then.

I find it odd that Danish freehand smokers have to "defend" themselves like they were pipe smoking albatross... I have never studied the history of pipes, but I bet the design of freehands goes way back. I could be wrong, just guessing... and also, all of these "vogue" fashionable classic pipes (that I also love) are from different eras in history too. What makes a pipe shape designed in the 1930s acceptable while a pipe designed in the 1960s or 70s unacceptable?

Well, "cootish, obscure, odd", whatever I may be, I like them and, (I know this is impossible in some folks mind), I get good relaxing long smokes from mine with no problems whatsoever.

When you see me smoking one in public, just look the other way and forgive me of my ignorance. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 am

Some very enjoyable replies offered here, some less engaging than others of course but this is always the way of things.

For my own part, I really couldn't care less any more what anyone thinks of my Alpha Bridge, I filled her up with some of Jim's homebrew last night and enjoyed a very relaxing 1 1/2 hour smoke. I love that this pipe is so clunky and 'in ya face', I love it even more now that I know it gets on snobby twinks nerves, I'd love to be able to attend one of those snooty pipe meetings where everyone's a plank Dunhill lover and fill my Alpha up with Commonwealth and really get on their nerves.

I really appreciate the negative remarks from some of you chaps, it's always good to know where some folk are coming from, if you guys hadn't slated my pipe so I wouldn't have fallen back in love with it, thanks guys, I owe you one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:37 am

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Some very enjoyable replies offered here, some less engaging than others of course but this is always the way of things.

For my own part, I really couldn't care less any more what anyone thinks of my Alpha Bridge, I filled her up with some of Jim's homebrew last night and enjoyed a very relaxing 1 1/2 hour smoke. I love that this pipe is so clunky and 'in ya face', I love it even more now that I know it gets on snobby twinks nerves, I'd love to be able to attend one of those snooty pipe meetings where everyone's a plank Dunhill lover and fill my Alpha up with Commonwealth and really get on their nerves.

I really appreciate the negative remarks from some of you chaps, it's always good to know where some folk are coming from, if you guys hadn't slated my pipe so I wouldn't have fallen back in love with it, thanks guys, I owe you one.

Very Happy

Glad you made peace with her. May she give you many years of pipe smoking bliss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:44 am

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
I love it even more now that I know it gets on snobby twinks nerves, I'd love to be able to attend one of those snooty pipe meetings where everyone's a plank Dunhill lover and fill my Alpha up with Commonwealth and really get on their nerves.

You asked a question and when you got one opinion from someone in reply that you didn't like you get all butthurt and defensive?

I'll offer some advice. One, when you ask for opinions on a web forum, expect to get them. Two, you shouldn't give a damn what anyone else thinks about your pipe. You're the one that has to smoke the pipe. Smoke what you like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 am

sisyphus wrote:
Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
I love it even more now that I know it gets on snobby twinks nerves, I'd love to be able to attend one of those snooty pipe meetings where everyone's a plank Dunhill lover and fill my Alpha up with Commonwealth and really get on their nerves.

You asked a question and when you got one opinion from someone in reply that you didn't like you get all butthurt and defensive?

I'll offer some advice. One, when you ask for opinions on a web forum, expect to get them. Two, you shouldn't give a damn what anyone else thinks about your pipe. You're the one that has to smoke the pipe. Smoke what you like.

Wow, easy there chap, to be honest I thought some of what you said to be worthy of note, I see nothing wrong in my liking that some folk hate my pipe, and I was serious, I am pleased you don't like it, your comments have genuinely made me like my pipe anew, that's a good thing, right!?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 am

lets take sides and defend our positions to the death!!! There are few things in the world that matter as much as what kind of pipe people like.

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 am

It's a peculiar quirk of female psychology to automatically assume that everything that happens must be about them, personally. Not always, but, summing up 64 years of interacting with them, the tendency's pronounced.

As in, one day the crew at work was killing some down time watching a television set in the office (long story). One of the group was a fashionably slender young woman who fancied herself quite the sexy package. There was some wispy-looking "fashion" model on the screen and, with habitual lack of anything resembling tact, I launched into a screed about the fashion industry being dominated by homosexuals whose ideal of sexual attractiveness was twelve year-old boys.

She has hated the very fact that I even exist ever since.

In her mind, I was "putting HER down."

So it goes when people project themselves into what's intended impersonally.

American pipe buyers in the 1970s, as now, responded viscerally to pretty, straight-grained briar. And the bigger it was, the better.

The Danes, back then, were phenomenally good at sourcing large blocks of it and buying it cheaply in bulk. In that situation it didn't take guys like Preben Holm long to realise they could hire semi-skilled labor to drill these and turn them into improvisational "free form" pipes that would sell like hotcakes (and they did). I had one myself -- with a flat, vulcanite platform it sat on, letting it double as a paper weight. Ended up giving it (after it had set, unsmoked for 30 years) (although it smoked well -- they knew what they were doing) to an older Danish friend who appreciated it as nosthalgia.

Provided you like nicely figured briar, and you're OK with large, conical chambers, they're a lot of bang for the buck. You're just writing off a lot of elements that, to many, go into making a fine pipe what it is.

De gustibus non disputandem. Cool

But by the same token, "Love me, love my dog" is not a viable demand.

cat What a Face study
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 pm

[quote="Kirk Fitzgerald"

I did think this was a particularly nice pipe myself but folk showing so little interest in it has led me to wonder if I am simply one of those folk with awful taste in pipes, I really did think it was a good pipe, now I am wondering if I've lost the plot.

What do folk here think to this pipe, is it really that crap!?[/quote]

After re=reading your question and the replies here I have to ask you a question, WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHAT OTHERS THINK? Who do you smoke and enjoy a pipe for? Someone or someones miles away on the internet? If so, you might want to rethink this whole pipe thing. If a pipe satisfies any requirements you have for it what does it matter what others think? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 pm

I wonder if my statement was taken wrong by a couple of readers. I was not "defending my position", only offering a bit of reason why I am drawn to these style of pipes. I am completely fine with people having differing views in all areas and aspects of life. Varietas delectat..., for you, Yak. Wink

I do have a hard time with people making hypercritical, broad statements that offer no other opinion or option though. As if their opinion were the only right opinion and all others were null and void.

ADDED:
Yak wrote:
It's a peculiar quirk of female psychology to automatically assume that everything that happens must be about them, personally. Not always, but, summing up 64 years of interacting with them, the tendency's pronounced.

As in, one day the crew at work was killing some down time watching a television set in the office (long story). One of the group was a fashionably slender young woman who fancied herself quite the sexy package. There was some wispy-looking "fashion" model on the screen and, with habitual lack of anything resembling tact, I launched into a screed about the fashion industry being dominated by homosexuals whose ideal of sexual attractiveness was twelve year-old boys.

Heck! Now I am wondering if you are calling me a female! Laughing What a Face

Just kidding.

Last edited by Simple Man on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:04 pm

I regret if my response offended any of the Bros, which was not my intent. I was careful NOT to impugn anyone's taste, preferences or person. I stuck to two points.

This exaggerated style is now unpopular with pipesters. And I offered a plausible theory as to why this is so.

Heck, I own two Saabs, three if you turn back the clock a little bit. "Quirky," is the descriptive phrase applying to such a one. But, honestly, I'm not looking for praise or correction in my car preferences. I just subjectively enjoy the solid feel and ergonomics of the way a Saab goes about its job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:08 pm

KevinM wrote:
I regret if my response offended any of the Bros, which was not my intent. I was careful NOT to impugn anyone's taste, preferences or person. I stuck to two points.

This exaggerated style is now unpopular with pipesters. And I offered a plausible theory as to why this is so.

Heck, I own two Saabs, three if you turn back the clock a little bit. "Quirky," is the descriptive phrase applying to such a one. But, honestly, I'm not looking for praise or correction in my car preferences. I just subjectively enjoy the solid feel and ergonomics of the way a Saab goes about its job.

No problems here, Kevin. Very Happy

It's the internet. Laughing

Owner of a 2003 Kia Rio that has been wrecked twice! Still drives though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Yak wrote:

This had me cramping in laughter. The truth of the matter is just that. You should have heard the reasoning-versus-taking-it-personally arguments Z had with his mother when he was mending at his parents' place. Eventually, it became about her, even though her son was the one with broken appendages. It became funny after a while--though we dare not show it. Smile

I'm glad these same fashion queens are not in charge of the pipe world. Who knows what shapes our lips would be considering. *snerk* Laughing

Yak wrote:
American pipe buyers in the 1970s, as now, responded viscerally to pretty, straight-grained briar. And the bigger it was, the better.

The Danes, back then, were phenomenally good at sourcing large blocks of it and buying it cheaply in bulk. In that situation it didn't take guys like Preben Holm long to realise they could hire semi-skilled labor to drill these and turn them into improvisational "free form" pipes that would sell like hotcakes (and they did). I had one myself -- with a flat, vulcanite platform it sat on, letting it double as a paper weight. Ended up giving it (after it had set, unsmoked for 30 years) (although it smoked well -- they knew what they were doing) to an older Danish friend who appreciated it as nosthalgia.

Provided you like nicely figured briar, and you're OK with large, conical chambers, they're a lot of bang for the buck. You're just writing off a lot of elements that, to many, go into making a fine pipe what it is.

De gustibus non disputandem. Cool

But by the same token, "Love me, love my dog" is not a viable demand.

I do have to say the large, conical chambers have won me over in a Wiley pipe that I started to detest (and furthermore, the pricetag) because I couldn't figure it out. Suddenly, Squadron Leader showed me the magic of that design. So, I have a couple of these pipes, freehand-esque that handle special jobs...

...Kirk, if anything, you tossed a lady out on her butt for no fault of her own, took it on the chin, took the gawking and criticizing of a few fellas to make you realize it's still love. Cool. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:58 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:

I did think this was a particularly nice pipe myself but folk showing so little interest in it has led me to wonder if I am simply one of those folk with awful taste in pipes, I really did think it was a good pipe, now I am wondering if I've lost the plot.

What do folk here think to this pipe, is it really that crap!?

After re=reading your question and the replies here I have to ask you a question, WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHAT OTHERS THINK? Who do you smoke and enjoy a pipe for? Someone or someones miles away on the internet? If so, you might want to rethink this whole pipe thing. If a pipe satisfies any requirements you have for it what does it matter what others think? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yes, perfectly valid point there, well, you know how you look at buying a new phone or a new pair of boots or the like, you take your new pride and joy with you down to the pub to see the lads, a part of you wants ya mates to like your new toy innit. I fell into that trap, I had a failing of self where I felt the need to have approval for my pipe from some like minded brethren, but it has led me to a far far better place, it has led me to a place where I once again bvroke free from needing validation from others, I loves me Alpha and that's all that matters again.

It took some rebuke of me Alpha for me to remember why I fell in love with it when Jimmy sent it to me, ah, a love I shall not so easily lose sight of again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...Kirk, if anything, you tossed a lady out on her butt for no fault of her own, took it on the chin, took the gawking and criticizing of a few fellas to make you realize it's still love. Cool. Cool

That's the one baby, and love it is, good and proper. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:05 pm

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

That's the one baby, and love it is, good and proper. Smile

wait, I think you were right in the first place. You fell out of love with that gal, and you shouldn't let other people manipulate you into a relationship that was over...

I think you should just send her to me

Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Rev, you cruel bastard. lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Maybe today's takeaway is that "How do you like my pipe?" (or car or smart phone, or . . .) is the guy equivalent of "Honey, does this outfit make me look fat?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:01 pm

"form follows function"? Yeah, but are there more than one function?

I think anyone who would say there is no simply visual, aesthetic pleasure to pipes is not being completely honest.

One of the things I enjoy about pipes is how it looks in my hand, because I tend to keep a pipe in my hand when I smoke. If I smoke while reading, I might be more interested in the balance of the pipe in my hand, but if I'm just sitting and smoking, I might be looking at it, savouring how it looks, how it's form compliments the form of a human hand.

I'm on the fence with the said Danish free hands. Some I find astonishing, some not so much, but as I have small hands and a rather delicate jaw - and taste for strong tobacco apparently - I might not be the first one to purchase a very big, heavy pipe.

Seriously, not first time I've noticed this weird obsession with protestant pipe aesthetic on this forum! Almost like some flashiness was a sin in the Holy Brotherhood. Laughing

Me? Don't care what others think of my pipes. I just enjoy them. EVEN if my genes must scream against it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:25 pm

beetlejazz wrote:

I think anyone who would say there is no simply visual, aesthetic pleasure to pipes is not being completely honest.

One of the things I enjoy about pipes is how it looks in my hand, because I tend to keep a pipe in my hand when I smoke. If I smoke while reading, I might be more interested in the balance of the pipe in my hand, but if I'm just sitting and smoking, I might be looking at it,Laughing

The original post was framed as a simple Q -- "I like my pipe. Not many people agree. What's up with that?" My response conceded that the "I like" (or not) is common experience. And I agree with those who say that they have a right to their "I likes" and "I don't likes." But then I took a step back to ask -- since the original poster was asking about the opinions of others -- What might lie behind the changing likes/dislikes of groups, including those who don't share his like for large freehands. "Form follows function" is a familiar concept that underlies many aesthetic explanations of our experience. I have no idea whether or not this theory has anything to do with Protestant beliefs, anti-flashiness or a holy brotherhood. But I'm thinking it's just you. To which you're entitled, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 pm

nope, not just her

rev
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 pm

KevinM wrote:
beetlejazz wrote:

One of the things I enjoy about pipes is how it looks in my hand, because I tend to keep a pipe in my hand when I smoke. If I smoke while reading, I might be more interested in the balance of the pipe in my hand, but if I'm just sitting and smoking, I might be looking at it,Laughing

The original post was framed as a simple Q -- "I like my pipe. Not many people agree. What's up with that?" My response conceded that the "I like" (or not) is common experience. And I agree with those who say that they have a right to their "I likes" and "I don't likes." But then I took a step back to ask -- since the original poster was asking about the opinions of others -- What might lie behind the changing likes/dislikes of groups, including those who don't share his like for large freehands. "Form follows function" is a familiar concept that underlies many aesthetic explanations of our experience. I have no idea whether or not this theory has anything to do with Protestant beliefs, anti-flashiness or a holy brotherhood. But I'm thinking it's just you. To which you're entitled, of course.

Oh, absolutely was not trying to draw a connection between beliefs and pipes and I'm sorry if it sounded like that - I wonder if the idea of "protestant aesthetic" is not as widely entertained as I thought.

And what I meant to convey was that "functionality" is perhaps not as a simple thing as it's referred to as here, and tried to make that point by using an example. But perhaps again I was unclear.

Didn't mean to pick on you anyone personally, sorry if it sounded like that. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:05 pm

My fault, entirely, madam. I started my first response in this thread by saying something like, "I'm Going to Regret This but . . ." I know some fine day someone will be chiseling that on a piece of marble just for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Eeeeeeeeeer, how has this one pipe suddenly become my focal taste in pipes, I'll have ye know I much prefer straight Billiards as it happens, I'm also quite partial to Zulu's and Canadians as it goes, although I don't own a Zulu sadly and have just the one Canadian, I just so also happen to rather like this particular pipe as well, so there. Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:34 pm

the rev wrote:
wait, I think you were right in the first place. You fell out of love with that gal, and you shouldn't let other people manipulate you into a relationship that was over...

Smile

rev

Oh goodness, now I feel weird keeping it, well, okay then, if you'd truly give it a better home then I will send it to you, PM me your addy and I'll send it to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
the rev wrote:

Smile

rev

Oh goodness, now I feel weird keeping it, well, okay then, if you'd truly give it a better home then I will send it to you, PM me your addy and I'll send it to you.

not a chance homeboy

enjoy your re found love, I would never stop a reunion Smile

rev
Back to top Go down

What's wrong with this pipe!?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: