HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem Empty
PostSubject: Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem   Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 pm

I purchased several premade vulcanite round saddle stems. It seems to me that the tenons on them are a bit too big for my liking. Not having a lathe, I was wondering if there's a neanderthal way anyone knows of to slim down the tenon to a smaller size without compromising the roundness.

I can here it now... "Yeah Right!" I'm guessing there's sand paper and a caliper in my future....

Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem Img_0727
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem   Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 am

I cut the head off a nail, gently shoved the end in the tenon-end of one stem (the nail fit just snug enough) and put the nail in a drill chuck, mounted the drill with C-clamps to a work surface, and used files as it spun to grind down the width. Suggested, recommended or ideal? No. Rednecktastic and ghettofabulous workaround? But of course.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem   Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:23 am

Steel wool works great if you need to take it down very carefully.

I use pencil lead for a dry lubricant, as the graphite works really well. If the stem still fits too tightly, I will take it down by carefully wrapping a piece of steel wool around the tenon, and twisting back and forth until I get it down to just the right fit.

If you have recently cleaned your shank, it could still be swelled from the moisture it's taken on. I find sometimes it can take a week, for my shanks to dry completely after a thorough cleaning.
Back to top Go down
somedumbjerk

somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem   Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 2:12 pm

i would just grab some delrin off amazon and use that. it feels really nice in the pipe and you can always have a 5/16" or whatever size you need. just drill it, score it and epoxy it in there. it's like $10 shipped for a 36" rod of black 5/16". it's at least a good back up plan if rounding it by hand doesn't work out. i'm saving up for a lathe right now so that's my work around.
Back to top Go down
Bobostro61

Bobostro61

PostSubject: Re: Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem   Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 8:49 am

OK, so I ordered some delrin rod. Is epoxy strong enough to keep it from twisting out of the stem when removing the stem? Or can I use the glue that you use to glue PVC pipe?
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem   Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 9:05 am

Bobostro61 wrote:
OK, so I ordered some delrin rod. Is epoxy strong enough to keep it from twisting out of the stem when removing the stem? Or can I use the glue that you use to glue PVC pipe?

5-min epoxy is what you want.

1. Once you remove the preform tenon and drill out a hole for the delrin, scratch up the sides of the delrin on the end you will insert into the stem and scratch up the walls of the hole in the stem.
2. Mix your epoxy and apply to the scratched up part of the delrin.
3. Insert the delrin into the stem.
4. Make sure the delrin is fully seated by taking the stem in your hand and pounding the delrin into the stem using a flat surface. Imagine pounding the table with your fist, only with the stem in your hand.
5. Allow the epoxy to cure for a few minutes until it is no longer gooey, but not rock hard.
6. There will be a ring of epoxy that squeezed out when you pounded the tenon into the stem. Gently scrape up the ring of epoxy with a match or something else that is small but not sharp. If you do it right, the epoxy should peal right off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
Bobostro61

Bobostro61

PostSubject: Re: Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem   Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 am

Sounds like a plan! Thanks UberHuberMan!
Back to top Go down

Slim down the tenon on a premade vulcanite stem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: