HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:09 am

As a kid the holiday season that starts the day before Thanksgiving and goes until the day after New Years is magical. Not just because of the holidays themselves, or even because of the holiday break between Christmas and New Years, its just a festive time of year. Things slow down, everything is decorated, Christmas carols are always playing. Even the commercials get better (I'll admit that the Lexis jingle seems just as symbolic of the holiday as Bing Crosby Singing White Christmas). As a kid you learn quickly that this is the greatest time of year. Two huge meals (Thanksgiving and then again on Christmas) when the family gets together. It just couldn't get any better.

You learn quickly to dread this holiday season when you go off to college. They trick you with an even longer holiday break, but you quickly learn that December means final exams and term papers. You start to dread Thanksgiving because you know that means hell is about to begin. Then, for me at least, law school was exponentially worse. After graduating and getting my first job, I thought "great I can finally enjoy the holidays again". I quickly learned that in the real world the end of the year means deadlines and books that need to be closed, so work gets harder and longer. Lately I have come to know and even worse dread at the end of the year, the billable hour requirement. Watching day by day, week by week to make sure you have billed enough time to meet your yearly quota and qualify for that all important bonus. Even worse, you don't have the long break to look forward to when all is said and done.

The long and the short of it is, enjoy it while your young, because once you grow up, its all over.

santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
You learn quickly to dread this holiday season when you go off to college.

Yep, Thanksgiving is when papers start being due! rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Try to enjoy it period. Not every kid enjoys this time of year. Been there, done that. Now it's about food and togetherness, and of course, taking the road less traveled while the morons are waking up at all hours of the night to stand in line to save $20 on a flat screen TV and killing each other over toys. Laughing I'd find it funny if it weren't so perverse. It's winter. Get fat, be warm, contemplate. *shrug*

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
It's winter. Get fat, be warm, contemplate.

Now, THAT is a strategy I can live with.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:13 pm

I love Thanksgiving. It's all about having a good meal and spending time with my aging parents. I cherish each year like it's the last.

That said, Christmas is corrupt to me. My least favorite time of the year. It's fun to see my kids enjoy the tree and their gifts, but so many aspects of the holiday are so incredibly wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:33 pm

The Christmas season is still my favorite time of the year. Maybe it's because I don't stress out and get caught up in the commercial aspect of the holiday. I did Secret Santa here this year, but I totally had a blast doing that. Now, for me it's just evenings spent at home enjoying beautiful music and reading. A few special Holiday snacks, some mulled wine, eggnog...

I feel bad for those of you who have to deal with added stress at this time of year. I hope you can find some time for some special moments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Simple Man wrote:
The Christmas season is still my favorite time of the year. Maybe it's because I don't stress out and get caught up in the commercial aspect of the holiday. I did Secret Santa here this year, but I totally had a blast doing that. Now, for me it's just evenings spent at home enjoying beautiful music and reading. A few special Holiday snacks, some mulled wine, eggnog...

I feel bad for those of you who have to deal with added stress at this time of year. I hope you can find some time for some special moments.

Hear hear. Smile BoB Secret Santa is AWESOME, too. cheers Made my year, last year.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Quote :
The long and the short of it is, enjoy it while your young, because once you grow up, its all over.

That settles it....I am never going to grow up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Growing up is this: A cloak of mediocre expectation that helps everyone else feel comfortable in predictable surroundings. One merely borrows adulthood fleetingly, for interviews, in front of the boss, maybe the in-laws or congregation of your church.

To live in that state constantly is to be bored.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.   Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Law school hell. You finish your JD and graduate, all those months of pure hell. It's spring, you're done, the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and then it's .......

Bar Exam!!! affraid affraid affraid

I watched so many poor bastards go from bliss to extreme anguish in a matter of hours Laughing

Thanksgiving and the impending holiday season.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1