HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Cutting the grooves in a bulldog

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm considering trying out making a version (my own) of a bulldog style pipe. As far as cutting the grooves around the pipe, how do you masters do it? Do you use a lathe to cut them, coping saw, some other tool? I don't have a lathe, so I was wondering the best way to make sure that the groove(s) turn out good, straight, and even.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Ooooh boy. Most guys use a lathe to cut them. If you feel like spending a lot of time, you could try files. I might suggest trying a coping saw and just make sure you get the same depth all the way around. Never cut them myself, so I'm not of a lot of help in this department. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Bobostro61

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Never hurts to try! I have some wood (not briar) here that I bought to make some pipes. Jobillo and some Zebrawood (to be delivered soon) that I can practice making one with. Before I ruin a good piece of briar. If I wreck this other wood, I won't be so upset.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:37 pm

I have an idea!!!

when they tried to get a perfect line around my arms for my tattoos they used a rubber band. Then then rotated it around until it was perfectly straight all the way around. Then they drew it on, then ofcourse they inked it in. Perhaps if you get it shaped really well, then put a rubber band around it, you can get a straight line drawn...

the rest will be very very careful work though

I may try that myself, I want a nice little Rhodesian nose warmer for my shop pipe

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:50 pm

A lathe is the easiest way, however, for those without such a luxury, it can be done by hand. A rubber band doesn't usually work. I've tried it. The way a traditional bulldog is shaped it just could get a good grip without flying off. I used masking tape to wrap around the bowl as a guideline. Next draw the line around it with a pen or pencil. The rest can be done very carefully with needle files. Don't expect it to be perfect, but it does work.

Here's one I did a while back:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:39 pm

The old time carpenters had a tool that would work for that. It's basically an adjustable L shape with a sharp point to scribe the line you want marked. Just lay it on top of the bowl and twist. Hope it's of some help.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Could you use one of those tubing cutters for small pipes? The ones with the circle shaped cutter with the rollers on the other side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 am

Looking at the tobacco tin and the pipe, to mark the pipe for the line I would get a tin like that of the appropriate depth, put the pipe (bowl down) into it, then inscribe a line (sharpie?) . Sharpie on the edge of the tin, touching the bowl, then turn the bowl. Should get a straight and continuous line on the bowl. Alternate thought..clamp the tin down, insert pipe, coping saw blade touching and parallel to the rim..slowly use the saw while slowly turning the pipe. For depth control scribe a line on the saw blade. Just a thought..never did something like this to a pipe..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bobostro61

PostSubject: Re: Cutting the grooves in a bulldog   Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 am

All very good ideas. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Cutting the grooves in a bulldog
Page 1 of 1