HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:45 pm

So you might have seen the thread dealing with the re-rustication of the Boswell Giant Bulldawg.

During the time I was working on that one I had a side-by project with what seems to be an elder Cellini long stemmed bamboo warden thing. It was also broken when I got it, the stem beiing 'gone'...so another was chosen, which simply required the stem to be opened up a bit to allow it to fit, as it's a sort of military push stem. Note the cracks in the bamboo stem below...they are very 'on the surface' but do tell a tale of some age.

In addition (and the big thing) was the strummel. It was twice as tall as the photos show below, and a weird off center sort of free hand 'design' (and I do use the term design loosely). I named it the "Butt Ugly Bamboo" cause it really was. So I chopped off half the bowl height, normalized the contour of the bowl to being round on the top and squarish at the bottom...and then went sort of crazy. The re-shaping of the bowl had opened up a void...er, pit...er potential spelunking opportunity. So I did a little carving to mask it a bit. I did a Celtic ribbon that wraps around the bowl and terminates in a Celtic horse head on each side. At this point it could be done, but in order to mask the pit even more I might go into the incised ribbon and horse head areas with some black leather dye and have a really two-tone thing. We'll see.

Does it work? Well, it does for me. I really like the long bamboo stem and wanted to save 'old Butt Ugly' for that if nothing else. But the briar was sound and the draw is very, very good...and with a newly shaped strummel (that's a sitter too BTW) I'm pretty sure it will perform well.

Not the best photos, but you get the idea.

BTW: check out the one photo that shows the piece of "Tiger Iron" which is going into a new pipe stand/box that I'm playing with currently. It's a mineral that is a layering of Tiger Eye, Black or Silver Hematite and Jasper (usually red, this one is more gold). The stuff has a hardness of 7 and a number of geologists contend that it is fossilized 'Stromatolite' - dating it to nearly (now get this) THREE BILLION years old! Pretty amazing. I guess I figured the old bamboo re-furb needed an older rest, or something. In the light, the Tiger Eye sections really flash.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:02 pm

As a huge fan of bamboo I pronounce this project awesome! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:52 pm

As a huge fan of Finnish knives and steel, I pronounce your opinion much appreciated.

(although I've made a number of Pukkos I've never done a Sammi style knife, but it's planned for next year)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:25 pm

I really like the celtic carving you did. Nice job all the way around!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 am

That tiger iron is cool stuff . Really like the patina on the bamboo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:22 pm

The Tiger Iron is crazy awesome. The blond tiger eye part flashes in the light as you move it and the darn stuff is hard and tough, requiring diamond or at least carbarundum to work it, though some coated steels seem to work - but not well. The piece in the photo now sits upright at the head of a nice chunk of Black Walnut and has a 'U-shaped' groove cut in it (the groove took 3 days) onto which a pipe stem will rest. The remainder of the 'box stand' ' has a box with black micarta lid, Rosewood applications and Osage Orange accents. It might be kinda interesting when done. I'll post some pictures when I get it closer to being done.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Can't wait to see your pics . I'll have to get some pics up of my wood work, have a couple pieces of oak where vines had grown spiral around it and caused a cool growth pattern.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Slide wrote:
I really like the celtic carving you did. Nice job all the way around!

Hear, hear !!!

I can't imagine the ginormous fuglitude of a bowl twice that tall. I like the proportions as it sits, now.

Nice work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 am

Blackhorse wrote:
As a huge fan of Finnish knives and steel, I pronounce your opinion much appreciated.

(although I've made a number of Pukkos I've never done a Sammi style knife, but it's planned for next year)

Oh I remember your fine puukko! cheers I have never handled a saami-style knife (you mean possibly leuku?), but I often dream about owning a saami kuksa - a drinking cup carved of a birch burl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 am

My understanding of a Leuku is that it's a larger, wide-bladed knife with fairly typical handle design...like this short one I did this past year, shown below:

So...opposed to that is what I think of as the Saami design...with perhaps the same blade form, but often with a smaller, finer blade...but the distinctive swell on the butt of the handle (providing a good grip with gloves on) and the classic antler sheath form with scrim or carving:

And I felt it would be remiss for me not to include a photo for others to see what you were referring to.

A rather fine kuksa. If I had enough burl to do a cup like this, I would. Or perhaps I'd use it to make about 20 knife handles. They take a LARGE chunk of wood.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 am

By the way...check this out:

http://www.wondersofwood.net/

Look at all three of his forms...the open, closed and sculptural pieces. I'm such a sucker for a genius.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!   Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 pm

beetlejazz - you got me going with your comment about the kuksa. I went out to the shed and found a good piece of Paperbark Birch and cut it into sections. While not burl (which doesn't grow locally) this piece has been curing for two years and when I sawed the sections off I saw that it was well spalted inside. So I started making my own kuksa...or what will turn out to be a ladel I think. I cut from one end that was full of checking and went down to what I thought was solid wood...but there was still some checking in it. So I'm considering it a practice piece.

I left a circle of the white bark around the outside (maybe I'll take it off later). The pieces are a bit over 4" in diameter and I have two left that are totally solid. I reviewed several tutorials dealing with how to make a kuksa and will follow most of what they said. The first one, however, since it's not burl, is oriented with the depth of the bowl along the line of the branch so that the rings form circles both inside and outside the tapered walls. I used a side branch (I almost always leave an inch of any major branch in place as they can usually be incorporated into a design of some kind...on my walking sticks they most often form the nose of a character I carve as the top.) In this item the branch piece forms the base of a handle, which will be inserted into a copper tube that's like a collar, about 2 1/2" long. Then if it continues to be a ladel a Cherry or Walnut dowel will go into the other end to form the long handle.

At this point, the inside of the bowl is nearly complete, except for some final stock removal and smoothing, and the bottom is nicely rounded. I'd like to make the bowl thinner that it is, but don't dare as even the slight checking would likely cause one section to break apart. I'm unsure as the whether I'll use Tung Oil to impregnate the wood and harden the slight checks or use some other material like a glue of some sort. Once I'm done I'll post some photos.

And to think I had another project about 90% done...and now it sits. lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile

And another reclaimation project - bamboo warden!
Page 1 of 1