HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:05 pm

And and all critique would be appreciated

this one a tried to mimic an eltang shape

and this one just seemed to come out as I carved it. The man I was making it for wanted a rugged, big, thick walled pipe. The grain is really nice and shows up better in real life.

thanks brothers and sisters

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 pm

The top one is "dog ugly"... you better just go ahead and send it to me. Wink Very Happy

The freehand is great, too... only thing with it is I'm not in love with the stem, seems a bit too tiny, at least for my taste. But the rest of the pipe is perfect.

You're really getting good at pipe making, Rev!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 pm

I am not really happy with the stem either... I tried a longer stem and it made the pipe really long, as the shank is pretty darned long. Originally I had a military stem which made the pipe atleast 11 inches long Maybe I should go a bit longer, thanks

rev
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:16 pm

the rev wrote:
I am not really happy with the stem either... I tried a longer stem and it made the pipe really long, as the shank is pretty darned long. Originally I had a military stem which made the pipe atleast 11 inches long Maybe I should go a bit longer, thanks

rev

I was thinking just a more decorative, wider freehand type stem. I'll see if I can find a picture to show what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:23 pm

Maybe something like this, Rev.

EDIT: Actually, maybe something more simple like this...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Both are nice pieces of work. The "Eltang" inspired one is more "complete" IMHO. The freehand just doesn't look as "complete" with the stem that's on it. But both would be nice either way. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Yeah the first picture is what I had on there originally and it was just too long. Or atleast I though so, I will post a picture with that in it. The second picture may work, but I will have to see if I can make that

rev
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 pm

the rev wrote:
Yeah the first picture is what I had on there originally and it was just too long. Or atleast I though so, I will post a picture with that in it. The second picture may work, but I will have to see if I can make that

rev

Ah, you can do it. Wink Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:59 pm

I can do it technically... just not sure if I have the right materials right now.

I literally cannot buy a single thing. I have about 15 blocks, 100 preformed stems, sand paper, was and compound. This is all I get until maybe I can talk my wife into letting my use by Christmas bonus for some rod stock and a few tools. But that isn't looking good. She is a mean mean woman, with gorgeous blue eyes, punky cropped white hair and wonderful curves

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

what were we talking about?

rev
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Darn, well, you better just give that pipe to me and start another one with a proper stem for the other guy. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:32 pm

pipe nazi says

"NO PIPE FOR YOU"

rev
Back to top Go down
Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Both are beautiful. Someday I hope to
reach that level of excellence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 pm

the rev wrote:
pipe nazi says

"NO PIPE FOR YOU"

rev

Well, I knew I was pushing it when I asked for the bread. lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Bobostro61 wrote:
Both are beautiful. Someday I hope to
reach that level of excellence.

brother... for all intensive purposes you and I are on the same level. Raw beginners with no tools, just doing the best we can. We can get better together. Just keep working, get better each pipe, thats all we can do.

rev
Back to top Go down
Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Well at least I know my stems will fit better if and when my Pimo stem turning tool ever arrives!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm a dropout, but I'm not a rube: "...intents and purpose," (et al) rev. Razz Intensive porpoise wants a fish. Laughing

That bent brandy is an effing gem. Real class-act, that one.

The freehand needs a little chin-scratching. One thing that I noticed right away was the shank and even the flair on said shank is a bit unbalanced for the nature of the pipe. Thinner would beget longer, but wider would accept wider, in that department...you seemed to try to mix the two.

Wonderful work overall. Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Damn fine bent brandy Rev!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boulderandbriar.com
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:12 pm

The first one is damn gorgeous. So classy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:13 pm

The first one has great flow and balance. Great looking pipe. The second one, like the others it comes down to the stem. Maybe a more substantial or beefier stem. Not necessarily longer. Still a great looking pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:38 pm

desertpiper wrote:
The first one has great flow and balance. Great looking pipe. The second one, like the others it comes down to the stem. Maybe a more substantial or beefier stem. Not necessarily longer. Still a great looking pipe.

yup, the stem might actually be quite stiny but sturdy and in a free-hand way?

A bit like this:

Or a bit longer than that:

Sorry about messing with your pipe design, just an idea. Smile

Last edited by beetlejazz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Bah! Damn you, art! Damn you, artists! *shakefist*

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:51 pm

no apologies needed, that was awesome thanks

that is what I actually envisioned, but I don't have any rod stock, so I will have to try and manipulate a premolded stem

rev
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Well done rev! cheers

The only observation is that the stem on the Eltang model seems slightly over bent to my eye. Just a few degrees straighter and it might maintain the line a little more. Picky, I know....

Nice work on both. I hope you stick with it!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I like it beetlejazz! stubby, artsy, and to scale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin   Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:35 pm

with a new stem, can't see it that well, but it looks much better

rev
Back to top Go down

My two new pipes, bent brandy, and a plateaux dublin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: