HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Prebored Plateaux drilled off center

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 pm

I purchased some prebored briar plateaux not long ago. A couple of them are obviously drilled off center.
What would you guys do in a case where the drilling looks like this for the airway?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 pm

If they are not as extreme as the picture you can rotate the pipe around and change the bowl making it a bit bigger matching it to the air hole. If it is as exteme as you picture, you may ask the maker to take it back. I had some of mine that weren't perfect, and I didn't worry about it much. It won't effect the smoke and you are just learning to carve right now anyways. But if it really bothers you... then have them fix it

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
PreppyHippy

Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 pm

I say that's plateau briar--greatest cut on the burl. Send it back. You don't want to feel insulted that the biz is unloading that stuff on you hoping you won't be informed enough to notice. You bought the plateau because you wanted it's grade of burl and look, not to have to adapt your cutting because of their poor drilling. You don't pay someone to reduce your pipe shaping/envisioning options. If they think it's still fantastic briar and is sure to make wonderful pipes, let THEM make those pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bobostro61

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Yeah, this is the second time I've bought from them and received plateaux with poor drilling of the airway. They had the lowest cost for predrilled so I went with them. I guess you get what you pay for. I'll just order undrilled blocks from now on. If they're off center it will be all my fault.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Bobostro61 wrote:
Yeah, this is the second time I've bought from them and received plateaux with poor drilling of the airway. They had the lowest cost for predrilled so I went with them. I guess you get what you pay for. I'll just order undrilled blocks from now on. If they're off center it will be all my fault.

Good idea. You could also order from Mark Tinsky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Bobostro61

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Interestingly enough, that's where I got them. Nothing against him, but that Danish style freehand I made had the same problem. Just don't look straight down the stem to the bowl.

Last edited by Bobostro61 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Bobostro61 wrote:
Interestingly enough, that's where I got them. Nothing against him, but that Danish style freehand I made had the same problem. Just don't look straight down the stem to the bowl.

Shocked That's all I'm sayin'.

Perhaps drilling your own would be the best course, then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm pretty sure Mark wouldn't mind exchanging it for you if you asked him.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Mark is really easy to deal with and super cool. I would let him know, and I am sure he would be happy to replace it.

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Bobostro61

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:53 pm

No, I don't think I'll return it. I have faith that I can make something of it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 pm

What is the turn around from him between preferring and it being delivered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Prebored Plateaux drilled off center   Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Bobostro61 wrote:
No, I don't think I'll return it. I have faith that I can make something of it!

That's the spirit. Smile Might help to continually draw the exact whereabouts of the draft hole on the top of the pipe as you carve it so you don't risk getting too close to it. Easily done with a straight somethingerother that you put in the bowl, follow with a ruler on the top, and pencil in.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Prebored Plateaux drilled off center
Page 1 of 1