HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Not the Popeye I used to know and love...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:09 am

Hey brothers. Good morning! I saw this on Google this morning, and it hit me so strangely I figured I'd post it. This will probably make a great avatar for some of you fans, but for me, it's just not the Popeye I used to know.

How does it hit you?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 am

I like it. I used it as an avatar on here for a little while a last year. It's definitely not good ol' Popeye, but I like the artist idea of a more human look of Popeye. I think it's kind of funny, then again, I'm kind of taken with bizarre images like that. Here is an odd image of Raggedy Andy cleaning fish, by artist Bryan Ballinger. I love it, kind of dark, but still interesting and funny.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Freaky man, really freaky. However, I do think it's a great rendition and obviously much more realized than any cartoon depiction could be. His ears remind me less grotesque version of the Ferengi's from Star Trek..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Growley wrote:
Hey brothers. Good morning! I saw this on Google this morning, and it hit me so strangely I figured I'd post it. This will probably make a great avatar for some of you fans, but for me, it's just not the Popeye I used to know.

How does it hit you?

More like Poopdeck Pappy than Popeye. . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 pm

That's not Popeye. That's just a creepy-looking old man in a saylors attire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:08 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Freaky man, really freaky. However, I do think it's a great rendition and obviously much more realized than any cartoon depiction could be. His ears remind me less grotesque version of the Ferengi's from Star Trek..

Respect the Grand Nagus! Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:03 pm

the rev wrote:

rev

When I worked in steel fabrication, one of my co-workers had arms more or less like this. No tats though. His nickname was, as you'd guess, Popeye!

Laughing

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:15 am

Here is the person who is said to have inspired Elzie Segar's creation of the Popeye character. His name is Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He lived in Chester Illinois, the Mississippi River town that Segar grew up in. Fiegel would have been about 61 years old when Popeye was created. Not a good photo, but its off my TV set.

Steve

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:34 am

Welcome to mortality. Its like watching Sophia Loren in one of her early movies versus now. I guess Popeye didn't have access to the medical facilities that Raquel Welch has. If you don't want to get old then die young!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Not the Popeye I used to know and love...   Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:06 pm

sstodvictory wrote:

Here is the person who is said to have inspired Elzie Segar's creation of the Popeye character. His name is Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He lived in Chester Illinois, the Mississippi River town that Segar grew up in. Fiegel would have been about 61 years old when Popeye was created. Not a good photo, but its off my TV set.

Steve

Sweet post..thank you. Inspiration, I find, is always inspiring; I'm eager to hear the "why's"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Not the Popeye I used to know and love...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1