HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Year end...post your favorite project photo.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Empty
PostSubject: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:25 am

So, being retired, my job is playing in the shop while smoking my pipes. I know, it's tough, but I earned it.

Anyway, my focus for each day is to make things that "speak to me" as they say. Well they must say that somewhere. What makes something special for me is that it's an item that is extremely beautiful, made of the finest materials (which are sometimes things that I find along a beach or a dusty back road) but above all is ideally suited to it's intended purpose. And if a little humor or playfullness exists within the theme or the design...all the better.

With that as a set-up, I think it would be cool for others (as well as myself) to post a photo or two of their favorite projects from the past year...their own of course...with a little description of course, just to remind us of any specifics re: materials, application, etc. And most important, what it is about it that is special to you...WHY is it your favorite?

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of shots of two knives. Both knives are designed for whittling or carving. One has an EnZo O1 Blade from Finland with a carved Extreme Curely Birch handle...bolster and spacers of nickel silver and ivory paper micarta. It's a handfull and capable of some heavy work, but the blade is very fine and holds an extremely sharp edge. The butt forms a stylized seal head with sterling silver eyes and nostrils. The other employs another Finnish blade...made by Rosseli and from their propriatary Ultra High Carbon line. It will take a scary sharp edge and hold it seemingy all day. The handle is a fine piece of Snakewood with bolster, buttcap and spacers from brass and black paper micarta. Notice that the neck of the handle is very narrow...ideal for holding with thumb, index and middle finger...doing the kind of fine work that the blade is capable of...but with a long and heavy butt that also allows a full grip for extreme leverage.

These two knives represent the essence of what a fine knife should be (to me)...form following function...incredible materials directed toward a specific task...great beauty in balance and theme...excellence in the craft of fabricating them...to the best of MY level of ability at least.

Year end...post your favorite project photo.  DSCN1601

Year end...post your favorite project photo.  DSCN1600

Okay - now it's somebody else's turn.

Year end...post your favorite project photo.  D6bddf10Year end...post your favorite project photo.  29400910Year end...post your favorite project photo.  114e6110Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Ddb39b10Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Cf77ce10Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Dd692012Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 4:18 am

Those are beauts BH. Wish I could say I made something this year, but other than one really ugly pipe I really didn't make anything. Definitely have to change that this coming year, even if it is just working on vehicle lift or anything.
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 9:00 am

WOW! Shocked

I love those knives! You are really doing some incredible work! Very beautiful. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: DIY Year end ...post your favorite project photo   Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 am

Nice knives, that top one would work excellent for caping deer heads.

Here's a pic of the traditional arm guard i built for my wife using 10 oz wicket & Craig leather & sting ray for the arrow head inlay w/deer horn buttons. [img]https://i.servimg.com/u[url=https://servimg.com/view/17604841/15]Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Stingr11/f40/17/60/48/41/stingr10.jpg[/img][/url]
Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Stingr12
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 11:44 am

OMG! That's fantastic! I don't think I've ever seen a pierced design on traditional leatherwork before. And with the black ray behind it, it really works well. I'll bet she gets a lot of comments on that one!

Year end...post your favorite project photo.  D6bddf10Year end...post your favorite project photo.  29400910Year end...post your favorite project photo.  114e6110Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Ddb39b10Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Cf77ce10Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Dd692012Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
the rev

the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Besides the pipes I have made this year, eleven so far, I think my favorite project was completing the paintings for my art show. These are bad photos, and unfortunately there were no photos taken that were that good. If anyone is interested in some abstract minimal art though...

Smile

artshow

rev
Back to top Go down
http://revspipes.com
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Those are sweet little carving knives!

What would you charge for one of those little beauties?

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Materials alone ran between $75 - $95...the Rosseli blade being $55 alone. I would usually add $100 to the material costs for labor.

Back to top Go down
Kelhammer

Kelhammer

Registration date : 2012-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:02 pm

This is almost done.

Year end...post your favorite project photo.  Image-4

Andy
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Beautiful work on that arm guard!
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Real art guys, amazing work.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Pistol barrel? What caliber? If not, then what?

Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Does home renovations count? I'm in the middle of a bath room renovation.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 11:48 pm

If your contractor is named Art.

Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Pistol barrel? What caliber? If not, then what?
Still-Target or black poweder barrell?
Back to top Go down
Kelhammer

Kelhammer

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 7:58 am

Yes it is a barrel for a black powder flintlock.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 8:09 am

OK. Flintlock.

Pistol or long gun?

Caliber...what, about a 50?

Style...Kentucky?...Hawkin?

Stock from what? Maybe Fiddleback?

Help us out a little bit here!

Back to top Go down
Kelhammer

Kelhammer

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 8:31 am

It is a .50 smooth bore. Pistol of no particular style. Just aspects I like, or can manage. The wood I want to use is curly maple, but it is going to be a tight fit. This is my first attempt at such a thing.

Andy
Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 8:58 am

Blackhorse wrote:
If your contractor is named Art.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 10:27 am

Sounds like an ambitious project to me. I did a CVA Hawken kit years ago which actually turned out pretty well...and very accurate to my way of thinking. Standing with a leaning rest it would put round after round into an inch and a half at 75 yards, using Pyrodex. It always just seemed odd to pull that second trigger and then stand around, maybe have a smoke, chat with the guys up at the range, tryin' to maintain that good target picture til the load finally caught. Good lesson in patience though.

Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Kelhammer Flintlock Pistol   Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 12:02 pm

You'll have to post a picture of that flintlock when it's finished. Sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Well, out of paintings of this years I'm oddly impartial to this one, called "April". It's very unlike what I usually do, but that's what I kinda like about it most - like one idea more to explore later, perhaps when the spring months roll in. Also, it's one of my first acrylic paintings, making it a bit of a milestone painting.

Year end...post your favorite project photo.  5dnjir
Back to top Go down
denholrl

denholrl

Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: How do I post photos   Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Can anybody tell me how to post photos on this forum?

Thanks,

Rob Denholtz
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Year end...post your favorite project photo.    Year end...post your favorite project photo.  EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 2:23 pm

This comes up often with members who are under 30 posts and/or 30 days membership. We just had a changeover to a newer kind of OS Beta here, so it might be disallowing those who have not met the 30/30 requirements yet. 

But generally you need to open the image box at the top of the reply screen. On my tablet it's in the second row down on the left side. Looks like a TV screen. There's both a place in which to paste the copied URL of your image and if you want to re-size it, you can enter new dimensions but normally you can just leave those blank. 

Once you've put the URL in you just click 'insert' and it's done. 

Note: if you just have photos on your computer that doesn't work. They need to be on the Web, like Photobucket, etc. Or they can be images from other websites. 

Note: if you use Photobucket, it provides an 'image' thing among its list of copyable options under each photo in your album. Since this provides the correct format you can bypass using the editor thing on our page I think and just paste in that copied URL. (you should see something like the bracketed code for image at the start and end of your pasted URL, like this... [img]. I think the one at the end has a backslash preceeding the "img". 

If you do it correctly your image will immediately be shown in the text box thing you've been writing your post in. 

Note: there are some sites that do not allow you to copy images and you can't get those to work. But if you have an image from another site you want to post you can usually get the proper address by either 1. right clicking on the image to get the "properties" which will have the address you can copy, or 2. clicking on the image so that you get an option box that includes opening the image in a new tab. Once you have the image in its new tab, copy the text from the address box and paste it into the image editor mentioned above. 

Once you've done it a few times the whole thing takes less that 30 seconds, start to finish. 

I'm sure there are other tricks, but those are the basics.

Back to top Go down

Year end...post your favorite project photo.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: