HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Holdup at the Post Office

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm

...there, that get your attention? Laughing

Them holding me up, not the other way around.

So, apparently, first I've heard this, if you re-use a "Priority Mail" box from them, they have to send it that service level. Okay, I get that. How about if you cover up the logos? Re-wrap the box? Doesn't matter.

"We know just by the shape, and your total is $38.52 to send this to Finland, otherwise, if you use a different box, like a brown one for your other parcels here, it's $13.22."

Unless I had a particularly anal post office clerk, I've never had this happen before. The used to treat boxes just as boxes, unless you otherwise requested a certain service. I was always very good at covering up logos, just to prevent confusion--not be treated like I was "sneaking one past the guard." Sheesh. Now I have to wait until I get a brown box of the proper size.

Never screw with an organization that's only not shut down due to bankruptcy because of the backing of a pretty heavy parent company: the U.$. Government. Just a little colored cardboard and some policies to make everything perfectly complicated--or pay the price. Fascinating.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EC Outlaw

Registration date : 2011-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Kyle, it's been the rule since the onset of priority mail, but mostly not enforced. Until a bunch of people got the idea that they could get 'free boxes' for their shipments by wrapping the Priority mail boxes, or in several cases, turning them inside out. So the Inspector General started enforcing the rule at the insistence of Congressional committee. Several individuals and corporations have llitigated this up the Appellate Court level and lost, and had to pay big fines.

The clerk was actually saving you from a potential minor criminal act.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Yup, been there - done that Kyle. Around here they are just as anal about Priority Mail...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:30 pm

I once tried to reuse a fedex logo box and mail it usps, they refused, but they did give me some priority mail tape to cover up the logo, then they allowed it.

Walmart sells boxes for a couple bucks. Repack it and send it off, save a bunch.

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:54 pm

They also won't supply a piece of tape for a last-minute problem. I gave them a hard time about it but they wouldn't budge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:04 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
They also won't supply a piece of tape for a last-minute problem. I gave them a hard time about it but they wouldn't budge.

Yup.

The last word in their name should be changed to "SCAM". Check out what they charge for tape.

Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...there, that get your attention? Laughing

Them holding me up, not the other way around.
Good, I was worried we would have to come up with the bail. . . .pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 pm

DAMN!! And I thought you had finally gone "postal" on us Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm

Damn! Y'all have shitty Post Offices. Twisted Evil
At mine, they greet me by name. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:34 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:

I've never had this problem...the clerks up here are pretty helpful, in a pinch. Must be from the same stock as the folks down Hermit's way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 am

Hermit wrote:
Damn! Y'all have shitty Post Offices. Twisted Evil
At mine, they greet me by name. Laughing

Yea, mine too. Of course the "town" it is located in is just a spot in the road between Nothingsburg and Nowheresville.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am

idbowman wrote:
alfredo_buscatti wrote:

I've never had this problem...the clerks up here are pretty helpful, in a pinch. Must be from the same stock as the folks down Hermit's way.

Same here. They have always been helpful. I've not always liked the help, but I've never been denied a piece of tape or white label.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 am

DrT999 wrote:
Good, I was worried we would have to come up with the bail. . . .pirat

Bail out Kyle? Nah, let him sit there and think about what he did... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:39 am

gravel wrote:
idbowman wrote:
alfredo_buscatti wrote:

Same here. They have always been helpful. I've not always liked the help, but I've never been denied a piece of tape or white label.

There is a dramatic difference between the level of service I get at the post office near my home and the one near my office. Both are in Philly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 am

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
gravel wrote:
idbowman wrote:
alfredo_buscatti wrote:

There is a dramatic difference between the level of service I get at the post office near my home and the one near my office. Both are in Philly.

Same experience. My little branch PO in Snoqualmie is always very helpful with regards to last minute needs like extra tape or something. Yet drive into Issaquah 30 min away and it's another world.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:54 am

They will give me tape and bubble wrap at the two small ones I use. Huh guess that's a small town for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:08 pm

This post office is one of the good ones, it was just this one gal. She was nice, but just very letter-of-the-law. I won't get into opinions about "contracted companies" like the IRS and Post Office, but re-using a box being a crime pretty much says it all--red tape pays and controls. Gimme an effing break. Besmirch my squeaky clean record! Good heavens! Laughing

Just an eye opener for me. I'm no stranger to local, state and federal bureaucracy with me being in the mining industry, but I've never acquired a taste for taking their medicine.

I'll find a box eventually. I'm not going to Wal Mart. Ain't gonna happen. Especially this time of year. You all forget I have mental issues, or at least mistake which ones actually afflict me. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm

do you need every inch of the box? you can just make the box a bit smaller

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Yeah, the box was the perfect size. I would rather have a one-piece box rather than a hack'n'slash frankenbox, it has to make it to Finland and all... Neutral If I were still working at my battery warehouse I would have had boxes galore. But nooooo...I had to change careers again. Laughing

Remember, kids, stay at your job for what supplies you can...*ahem*...borrow temporarily. That's incentive.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Don't want to be on the people of walmart site kyle? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Too late, like most people, much of that is staged, anyway, and I've had my people of Wal-Mart cover shot. It's really easy, just be a shameless lout, wear some freaky getup at Wally World, and watch the camera phones not-so-sneakily (but they try) start whisking pictures off to your Internet 15 seconds of fame. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Too late, like most people, much of that is staged, anyway, and I've had my people of Wal-Mart cover shot. It's really easy, just be a shameless lout, wear some freaky getup at Wally World, and watch the camera phones not-so-sneakily (but they try) start whisking pictures off to your Internet 15 seconds of fame. Laughing

Cool

LINK! Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:34 pm

This was two years ago, I'll see if I can find it. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Holdup at the Post Office   Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Cool

LINK! Laughing

RESPECT!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Holdup at the Post Office
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1