HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Geocaching

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Geocaching   Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:42 am

For those of you who don't know what it is run on over to the website and take a look.
www.geocaching.com
Or watch the video.

The first time it was explained to me I thought it sounded really dorky, but I have to admit that it is one of the most fun things and I love it about as much as I do smoking a pipe...they actually lend themselves to each other VERY well for those long beautiful walks. If by chance any of y'all already do it feel free to send me a friend request or post your username up here. Mine of course is Kaiser83. I hope there are some fellow brothers here who take it up or are already doing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Geocaching   Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 am

The wife and I are planning on trying it. We frequent REI (outdoor recreational store) and one of the sales people there told us all about it. Sounds like it is a blast.

I really like to try orienteering as well. Considering we will be empty nesters next year - I don't think time is going to be an issue!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: Geocaching   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:15 am

REI is awesome. I am a rewards member with them too. Geocaching is fun as heck. I actually made it up and found the very first one last year which was too cool having grown up on the East coast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Geocaching   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:46 am

Me, my wife, and daughter all had a good time during the fall Geocaching - before it got cold.

As soon as it warms up a little, we're definitely going again. My 9-year old daughter had a blast and can't wait to go again, she really got hooked!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Geocaching   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 am

kaiser83 wrote:
I actually made it up and found the very first one last year.

Question what do you mean?

I'm thinking about giving it a try, looks like a fun way of getting out and hiking about. Some of them are pretty creative.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=oSmGHrGFLS0#/watch?feature=relmfu&v=oSmGHrGFLS0

kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: Geocaching   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am

The very first one is in Oregon City. Geocaching was started in Oregon by a guy named Dave Ulmer. I went and found the very first one he placed which started the whole..hobby...activity....whatever. Some of them are crazy creative. A lot of the urban caches are insanely tricky. The rural ones are generally easy once you get to them. I did one where you carried a small boat(kayak) 400yards, launched, paddled a mile and a half, had to climb onto a tiny island to find a darn cache, and then go in reverse. Big boats can't get there due to shallow water...but it was fun as heck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Geocaching   Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:29 pm

I enjoy Geocaching (placed a couple myself), but don't go nearly as much as I would like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Geocaching   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:12 pm

When I'm doing field work I come across geocaches once in a while. I usually add a note saying "Hello, just a visitor" leave my email, and some weather-resistant trinket if I have one. One guy from Alaska was apparently hunting in the area fall 2011 and emailed me, and we talk once in a while.

I think I'll start leaving corn cob pipes in them if I come across them again. cheers

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Geocaching
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: