HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4 Christmas Bent Billiards

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

4 Christmas Bent Billiards Empty
PostSubject: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:44 am

Well after a lot of headaches and hard work here are the first four pipes I produced on my new lathe. Bent billiards all. Some aren't as good as others. Let me know what you guys think.

4 Christmas Bent Billiards 102_0484

4 Christmas Bent Billiards 102_0485

4 Christmas Bent Billiards 102_0487

4 Christmas Bent Billiards 102_0488

4 Christmas Bent Billiards 102_0489
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
leftover421

leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 am

Ocelot55 wrote:
Well after a lot of headaches and hard work here are the first four pipes I produced on my new lathe. Bent billiards all. Some aren't as good as others. Let me know what you guys think.

All of them are great but these two stole my heart Shocked . Fantastic work cheers

4 Christmas Bent Billiards 102_0485

4 Christmas Bent Billiards 102_0489
Back to top Go down
Steveaux

Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:16 am

What do I think ?

I think you're aggravating the hell outta my PAD !!!

Green stain and a Cumberland stem !?!?! WANT !!!!

Fine work, Brother.
Back to top Go down
Frozenthunderbolt

Frozenthunderbolt

Registration date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:11 am

Awesome!

The blue one looks as if it is carved from lapis lasuli, but I too like the green ones best cheers
Back to top Go down
Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 am

They all look great to me! Did you turn the stems too?
Back to top Go down
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 am

I don't typically care for colored pipes, but I do really like that muted one (on top of the X-mas Cheer in the group photo, second single photo). That's a sharp looking pipe.

It wouldn't happen to be for sale....would it? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:00 am

4 Christmas Bent Billiards Pipe10

Nice work. Really digging this one brother! Smoking them yourself or selling?
Back to top Go down
Greyson

Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am

Great staining bro, very festive! I like those a lot!
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 11:09 am

All these pipes are part of one order, so none are for sale. Sorry guys.

To be honest I am sick of doing strange colored pipes. I couldn't help thinking, "Gee this would look great with a light brown contrast stain, but no...blue....."
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 11:16 am

Ocelot55 wrote:
All these pipes are part of one order, so none are for sale. Sorry guys.

To be honest I am sick of doing strange colored pipes. I couldn't help thinking, "Gee this would look great with a light brown contrast stain, but no...blue....."

LOL Tease! Razz I'm not much into colored stains either, but those are great looking pipes regardless.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Provided they have a stone-like look to them, I like 'em. I'm with Dave, the slate-colored one was best. I recall Vito posting a "bleached" almost limestone-looking briar not too long ago, and that The Rev is experimenting with various color for his briars. So far, they're lookin' pretty nice. Tie-dye pipes aren't something I'm likely to go for, but if it looks like a rock, well, that'd be a good luck charm in the field for me. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Bobostro61 wrote:
They all look great to me! Did you turn the stems too?

The stems are completely hand cut, except I use delrin for the tenon. I really like the feel of delrin, plus its a guaranteed tight fit every time.

Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:57 am

That second green one is just sexy. Congrats brother, those are awesome.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 10:05 am

Ocelot - well, you might be tired of doing colors, but I see so few that they really stand out. Sure, take the unique color away and you still have a fine item there (I think standard shapes might be the hardest to do well...and those do look well done). But to me that green is trophy level.

Opinion other than that? Well, since it was an order, it might have gone like...''Gimme four...two greens, a blue and one medium Grey. '' So not a lot of potential for your creativity to come in. But if I could do it (and I can't) I'd want to make the color a part of the overall design statement...like without the color it just wouldn't work. Some of Downie's pipes come off that way...to me, especially the one's with copper fittings which really add to their 'steampunkness' or whatever. Or maybe more obviously his creature pipes...like green is perfect for a slug, or ghoul or something.

But then, fun is fun and those surely are...and of course the craftsmanship certainly appears to be there, which is important.

4 Christmas Bent Billiards D6bddf104 Christmas Bent Billiards 294009104 Christmas Bent Billiards 114e61104 Christmas Bent Billiards Ddb39b104 Christmas Bent Billiards Cf77ce104 Christmas Bent Billiards Dd6920124 Christmas Bent Billiards Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 10:09 am

I'm not a fan of colored stain pipes, but you sure nailed the bent billiard shape and stem, nicely done!
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks BH and riff raff!

I really like the way the green stain turned out too. One thing I am interested to see is if the color oxidizes over time. The green pipes that Peterson makes turn a golden yellow after a while and that process is accelerated by sunlight. I don't know if that is a peculiarity of Peterson's finish or if it is something common with green dyes on briar in general. I suppose only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: 4 Christmas Bent Billiards   4 Christmas Bent Billiards EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Damn! Now I'm going havta git me some Blue dye.
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/

4 Christmas Bent Billiards
Page 1 of 1