HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Letters from Father Christmas!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thistleoak

Number of posts: 329
Tobacco: I'm just getting into smoking a pipe, I found I really like Butter Rum, Sugar Lips and Navy Flake. I also love smoking OTC like Carter Hall and Captain Black Cherry ( smell reminds me of my Grandpa...... Great comfort smell)
Pipe: I have a couple cob pipes, a church warden and a very nice briar.... Would love to get more but gotta have enough money to keep a roof over my wife and sons head.
Registration date: 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Letters from Father Christmas!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 pm

As everyone on here who has gotten to know me has figured out, I am a huge Tolkien fan. My favorite of his published works is "Letters from Father Christmas" Every December the Tolkien children would receive a letter post marked from the North Pole from Santa and all the letters were published in this book. I thought that this was a fantastic tradition I wanted to do for my son every year, and every year starting from his first Christmas I have typed out a letter from Santa addressed to my son and signed it "Yours Most Sincerely, Santa". My son is now at the ripe old age of 8 going on 88 and I was traumatized to learn from him that the other kids at school were talking about how Santa wasn't real ( Kaplan don't freak out buddy I promise you he is!!!!) I asked him what he thought of this and "I'm not really sure" was the answer I received.... I was devastated... I know that he is becoming a young man and that he cant stay my little boy forever, but dammit It just wasn't fair... I love to see the light in his eyes on Christmas morning and feel the magic that the holiday fills our house with every year. I started racking my brain on what to do to save Christmas for just one more year and to tell the truth I was stumped, I mean Aidyn knows my hand writing now and he is a sharp kid all around. I was helping Brother Zach move into his new home and we were in the process of unpacking his pipes and tobaccos when he handed me a Thank-you card and said read this. It was a thank-you card that Ocelot55 had sent him when they had done a transaction. It was hand written in a calligraphy Old English style, it oozed tradition and class pure and simple, I was amazed! And then it hit me " Hey Zach do you think Ocelot would hand write a letter from Santa to Aidyn??? He would totally love it . " Zach said I don't see why not, Jesse is a great person, shoot him a pm and ask" When I got home I got on BoB and sent Ocelot a PM asking if he would take a letter I wrote and write it in script on parchment and send it to Aidyn. He said he would be more than happy to do it. Aidyn received a hand written letter in beautiful script on the perfect paper for an "Old Fashioned" letter from Santa today, it was even sealed with red wax. His eyes lit up, and after he read it he said " I knew it! I knew those boys were just being stupid!" You couldn't have knocked the smile off that kids face with a 2x4. I got a knot in my throat . I got the best Christmas gift I could have asked for... A son that believed in Santa for one more year. I have to square with the fact that he will one day find out, and he will grow up no matter how much I want him to stay little, but I have one last "Santa" Christmas worth of memories to cherish and remember. Jesse took the time and care to put my words on parchment for my son, he helped me finish a Father/son tradition in style! Jesse you absolutely MADE Aidyns Christmas, and in the process you made mine too! I owe you big. Sorry to ramble brothers, but I just wanted to let everyone know what a great guy Ocelot is! Thank you again Brother, I will always remember what you did to save Christmas for just one more year and I will always be indebted to you!

Alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steveaux

Number of posts: 716
Tobacco: Va.'s, VaPers, Burleys.

I'm borderline Latakia intolerant.
Pipe:
Yes, please.
Registration date: 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 pm

cheers cheers cheers

santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Number of posts: 1884
Tobacco: Everything but Burley...that stuff feels like lava on my tongue. Too bad.
Pipe: Traditional English and Danish Neo-Classical shapes
Registration date: 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:01 am

It was a pleasure to write that letter. I had a lot of fun doing it and knowing that I made Aidyn's Christmas is the biggest reward.

I also think the world of Alex. It is obvious that his son is the most important thing in the world to him, and in a society where dads are often not present or poor examples to their children we need more dads like him.

Ho, Ho, Ho! santa rendeer rendeer rendeer

Yours most sincerely,

Santa Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Briar Spirit

Number of posts: 2898
Tobacco: Va's & Va/Per's
Pipe: Peterson's because of my Da'.
Registration date: 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:07 am

That is VERY cool Ocelot, kudos to you. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://briarspiritfellowship.gi9.co/forum.php Online
Hermit

Number of posts: 3807
Tobacco: Exhausted Rooster
Pipe: Rad Davis Golden Blast Apple
Registration date: 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:34 am

santa cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Number of posts: 1120
Tobacco: I'm always looking to expand my experience, so far my favourites include Nosferatu, Hobbit's Weed, Boswell's No Bite, CC's Circus spun, CC's Elizabethan mix, Plumb cake, Halflings leaf, Warrior plug, Bagpipers dream
Pipe: Tinsky, Askwith Morta, Peterson 80s Harp, Don Carlos, Dr Grabow, Mari Grandi, Missouri Meerschaum cobbs
Registration date: 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:57 am

Ah superb job guys, and nicely done Ocelot. Tis the season to be awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Number of posts: 2330
Tobacco: Blackwoods Flake, OGS, Lagonda
Pipe: My DSH Pipes of course!
Registration date: 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 am

Dude... this is awesome. Nicely done, Jessie!

When I was about the same age, my father (who studied classical antiquities in college, including calligraphy) did a hand written letter much like you describe addressed to me from Santa for Christmas. Even though I eventually discovered that Santa is a beautiful and magical fantasy, I still have that letter and it makes me smile every time I look at it. I hold that memory very dear because, looking back now as an adult, the letter doesn't speak to me of deception. It speaks to me of a man who loved me enough to go out of his way to make me feel incredibly special.

Even though your son will grow up and learn, as we all do, that Santa is a fantasy he will look back on this Christmas when he pulls out this old handwritten Christmas card and be reminded of how loved he was and is. You're a great dad, Thistleoak. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Ocelot55

Number of posts: 1884
Tobacco: Everything but Burley...that stuff feels like lava on my tongue. Too bad.
Pipe: Traditional English and Danish Neo-Classical shapes
Registration date: 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:42 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Even though your son will grow up and learn, as we all do, that Santa is a fantasy...

Don't tell Kaplan! silent

It'd break his heart! Poor soul. He still believes in unicorns too...of course so does the government of North Korea. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
sand18f

Number of posts: 622
Tobacco: Old tobacco
Pipe: Old pipes
Registration date: 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:38 pm

cheers cheers cheers santa

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Number of posts: 2702
Tobacco: I'll usually finish the tin as a matter of principle.
Registration date: 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Letters from Father Christmas!   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
Even though your son will grow up and learn, as we all do, that Santa is a fantasy...

Don't tell Kaplan! silent

It'd break his heart! Poor soul. He still believes in unicorns too...of course so does the government of North Korea. Razz

Nah. I already know that unicorns, eskimos, and the word "irregardless" are all fake. You can't fool me about Santa, though! My grip on reality isn't that weak. santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Letters from Father Christmas!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1