HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

'Tis the Season !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: 'Tis the Season !   Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 pm

So, why do people bring Pine trees into their houses at the Winter Solstice, placing brightly colored (Red and White) packages under their boughs, as gifts to show their love for each other ? Underneath the Pine bough is the exact location where one would find this ‘Most Sacred’Substance, the Amanita muscaria, in the wild.”–James Arthur, “Mushrooms and Mankind”

The Amanita muscaria is the red and white magic mushroom that grows almost exclusively beneath Pine trees. Their main psychoactive ingredient is ‘muscimol,’ as well as trace amounts of DMT, an entheogen naturally produced in the brain’s pineal gland. The pinecone-shaped pine-al gland is an organ that produces the same DMT found in this pine tree fungus. Under this tree is where those who are deemed good find their reward in the form of a present.

Green, red, and white as Christmas colors comes from the evergreen tree and the red and white mushrooms underneath. The word Christmas originally comes from the Egyptian KRST (oiled/anointed one) and Mes, the sacred cakes annually made/ingested by the Egyptians. This Eucharist was originally made from Amanita muscaria or was the mushroom itself. The tradition existed all over the ancient world, but most of the iconography / symbology recognized today comes from pre-Christian Northern Europe.

To this day Siberian shamans dress in ceremonial red and white fur-trimmed jackets to gather the magic mushrooms. First they pick and place the mushrooms to partially dry on nearby pine boughs which prepares them for ingestion and makes the load lighter. This is why we decorate our Christmas trees with ornaments and bulbs, because the gatherers would always adorn trees with drying mushrooms. Next the shaman collects his red and white presents in a sack and proceeds to travel from house to house delivering them. During Siberian winters, the snow piles up past the doors of their yurts (huts), so the red and white clad shaman must climb down the smoke-hole (chimney) to deliver the presents in his sack. Finally the appreciative villagers string the mushrooms up or put them in stockings hung affront the fire to dry. The amanita mushroom needs to be dried before being consumed; the drying process reduces the mushroom’s toxicity while increasing its potency. This tradition is echoed in the modern stringing of popcorn and other items.

Reindeer were the sacred animals of these semi-nomadic people, as the reindeer provided food, shelter, clothing and other necessities. Reindeer are also fond of eating the amanita mushrooms; they will seek them out, and then prance about while under their influence.

The effects of the amanita mushroom usually include sensations of size distortion and flying. The feeling of flying could account for the legends of flying reindeer, and legends of shamanic journeys included stories of winged reindeer, transporting their riders up to the highest branches of the World Tree.

One of the side effects of eating amanita mushrooms is that the skin and facial features takeon a flushed, ruddy glow (Santa is always shown with glowing red cheeks and nose). Even Santa’s jolly ‘Ho, ho, ho!’ is the euphoric laugh of one who has indulged in the magic fungus.

The Weihnachtsmann (St. Nick) was an amalgamation of older Germanic/Norse gods such as Thor, Donner, Odin and Wotan. What’s missing here is just as Santa flies through the skies in his sleigh, Odin (as well as the rest) rode through the sky in his chariot, which is depicted in the stars by ‘The Big Dipper’. The Big Dipper is the chariot of Odin & Wotan, Thor, King Arthur, and even Osiris (of Egypt). The chariot that circles the North Star in a 24 hour period is thus also known as the sleigh of Santa Claus because it circles his mythological home, the North Pole.

Probably the first Santa was Osiris in ancient Egypt who rode his flying chariot to/from the North Pole, was born on December 25th, and celebrated by putting presents underneath an evergreen tree.

"Santa," [is] an anagram for Satan . . . "Santa" keeps lists of children who are naughty and nice. If you have mischief, wickedness, or secrecy in you, then entheogens will take you down into the depths of your own hell. But if you have kindness, love, and truth within you, entheogens will raise you up into the heights of that heaven. When people of a poor disposition or in a negative mood eat magic mushrooms they usually have a “bad trip” and experience frightening or depressing hallucinations.

http://www.zengardner.com/santa-claus-and-the-magic-mushrooms/

cat What a Face study
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 pm

I like this explanation ok! Very Happy

The last chapter reminds me of Krampus - a Christmas demon known to the Alpine countries who stuffs the naughty children into his backpack and eats them on Christmas dinner.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 am

I have read a number of 'explanations' behind the origins of many customary festivals, this is an 'almost' believable example of the origins of Xmas, far more enjoyable read than the many modern church notions, well found and thanks for sharing. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:49 pm

It certainly doesn't "explain-away" Christmas. If it had been an attempt to, I wouldn't have posted it.

But it is a useful illustration of how conservative human beings are. They don't just dump one whole load of cultural traditions and start over from scratch (as the French Revolutionaries tried to make them do -- and in Russia as well, where the Bolsheviks are a mostly detested memory but the Orthodox Church they tried to exterminate is very alive and very well). Rather, they keep their ancestral patterns and "re-interpret" their purported "meaning" in terms of the newest overlay.

That's just how people do.

cat What a Face study
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 pm

beetlejazz wrote:
I like this explanation ok! Very Happy

The last chapter reminds me of Krampus - a Christmas demon known to the Alpine countries who stuffs the naughty children into his backpack and eats them on Christmas dinner.

Geez, from this perspective I'd be really happy getting a lump of coal!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:01 pm

I think I used to date his sister back in college?

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Natch wrote:
I think I used to date his sister back in college?

Natch

You too??? Small world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Great stuff, Yak. Thanks for posting that. Smile I also like your awareness not to explain away Christmas, because "Consumeristmas" is doing a great job of that as-is. I don't like the idea of forced cultural reset buttons...I'd rather read books before they're burned. It's dangerous to come to thoughtful conclusions, though. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 pm

I always idolized Krampus, by the way. Twisted Evil I could think of a few houses he could visit near me...

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:42 am

If you hadn't explained it, I'd have assumed that picture was an allegorical depiction of a Victorian-era girl's anticipation of her wedding night Laughing

cat What a Face study

Last edited by Yak on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:28 pm

I'll go with this one.

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm

I am very much in favour of parents fooling their kids with the Santa Claus story. The moment the kid learns and accepts the truth behind it, the first stone of the foundation for healthy scepticism has been set. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Yak wrote:
If you hadn't explained it, I'd have assumed that picture was an allegorical depiction of a Victorian-era girl's anticipation of her wedding night Laughing

cat What a Face study

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:40 pm

MisterE wrote:
Yak wrote:

cat What a Face study

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

This. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the Season !   Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Agree with posts above. Good one, Yak.

Natch
Back to top Go down