HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How often to you refinish your pipes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:40 pm

I've noticed with the pipes I've made that I've smoked that after a couple weeks that the finish seems to dull. No big deal to slap on a layer of carnuba wax. Just wondering how often you spruce up your pipes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm

If I ever rebuff, it's normally hand buffing with a rag that I've loaded with carnuba. I probably give the collection a new shine once a year or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 pm

"Back in the day" of the corner tobacconist, at those that I went to who had the equiptment and knew what they were doing, I'd get my a few pipes shined up weekly when I went by their shop. These days, unless I'm sending in a pipe to be repaired, all mine get is a wipe down with an old flannel cloth that has years of carnuba wax build -up on it from polishing my pipes by hand. A good steady use of clnrs, a periodic cake reaming and a hand polish with my cloth is all they get these days. Mine don't "shine" as much as have "that patina" of loving use Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 pm

Pretty much whenever hell freezes over--or the need to slick 'em up for a photo shoot for eBay or whatever. Sandblasts don't need it and smooth pipes won't keep the shine unless you don't handle or smoke them, so what's the point? If I know they're going to be sitting in my rack for a while without being smoked, then that's another story. I'll take patina over a slick look any day, although when the two merge...well, that's esthetic bliss to this here pipester.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Never.

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Well, those last two posts were obviously from uncultured savages.

My kinda guys. Very Happy

The only time I remember polishing mine is if I'm taking a photo of them, or if I accidently dropped it into my pint of ale.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Once a month I tenbd to give my pipes a thorough cleaning, just to show 'em I loves 'em I gives 'em a quick lick on the buffer, apart from that, they just look all down to earth and raggedy, my kind of pipe really. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Once every six months. I have a buffing wheel for my hand drill, which gets C-clamped onto the desk. Trashy, but functional. Also at that time, with reaming the shank a little, I give the stems some attention (my mouth discolors them fast), and that about covers it.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Aside from keeping up with the interiors & the old vulcanite stems, an affectionate rub with a soft flannel shirt, and that's it.

Carnuba wax finishes will last 50 years ++

Maybe forever.

cat What a Face study
Back to top Go down
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:34 am

I give the pipes that I have in rotation a good cleaning about once a month. As I look at my rack(s), if I get that craving to have them all shining and beautiful again, I'll grab a handful, go out to the garage, and give them a quick buff with white diamond, then a coat of carnauba, and a final buff. It brings out the beauty of the wood so well! Just don't over do it as I don't want to destroy any markings, not that I have any 'valuable' pipes in a monetary sense, just valuable to me..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:08 am

Mostly hand wax with Halycon/Paragon. Occasionally I'll take one out to the buffer for a very light coat of carnuba. Most of my stems are vulcanite, so they require the most attention. (8000/12000 micromesh/buff with plastic polish)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:56 am

I wax mine up about ever few smokes. But, being a pipe maker I have good tools so it's not difficult. I got into pipe making partially because I love how beautiful the wood is. I do my best to keep 'em as pretty as I can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How often to you refinish your pipes?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:22 pm

I don't spare the pipe cleaners following each smoke. I use a doubled cleaner to remove the little tobacco and burnt bits from the inside of the bowl. The vulcanite bits get the most time (and they're still a little green in places). The bowls do fine with a little hand polishing with a cloth that's impregnated with carnuba. Now and then I use a little spit and soft cloth to remove the burnt residue from the bowl's rim. I use a jeweler's cloth on pipes with sterling silver bits. I'm a chipper / sandpaperer rather than a reamer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How often to you refinish your pipes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: