HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Just arrived here from Florida

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Phantom309

Registration date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Just arrived here from Florida   Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey there Adam is the real name. I hope that you all will accept me here as I am not a pipe smoker. I was a cigarette smoke for 20+ years, and was actually wanting to get a pipe to smoke on in the evenings when I have my cup of coffee with my wife.

For Christmas this year my brother bought me an e-cigarette, and I've been smoke free for a little over a week now. However, I still want my pipe to smoke in the evenings. I don't want to ruin the fine craftsmanship that goes into a good quality pipe, and I can't afford one of the electronic pipes that are available to buy right now.

My only option is to make one...I have some pecan wood out back and that's what I'm making it out of. I hope that I can put forth the effort to make my own and share it here, anywhere else that maybe interested in seeing it.

I've seen some beautiful pipes that others have made here and that is what inspired me to join. I only hope that I can do as good the others I've seen here, and make it functional for how I need it to work.

Thank you and I look forward to learning from you all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Hello, Adam. Welcome aboard.
Congratulations on giving up cigarettes. I made the switch to the pipe twice myself.
What makes you think you'll ruin a pipe by smoking it? Do you have giant lobster claws for hands? (If so, pics please Razz ) Or are you just worried you'll burn it out while leaning proper technique? If so, why not start with a cob? Yes, they still make them. Yes, serious pipers smoke them. If you were on my front porch right now, I'd force you to take one. It's probably good that you're not, though; that guy never came back. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clay

Registration date : 2012-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Their is a mass of info here, somebody will have an answer for any questions you may have. I have a lot of respect for your quiting cigs, I will give that a go at the end of the year, I really want to quit. 25+ yrs for me, it"s time. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Phantom309

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Thank you George, giving up cigarettes is by and far the best thing I ever did, haven't felt this great in a long long time.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify that statement, I don't want ruin a good quality pipe by modifying to be an electronic pipe. One day I might try a tobacco pipe, but right now I'm kind of staying away from the real stuff while learning newer/safer habits.

Lol lobster claws...I like that one, no lobster claws here. I would post pics if I had hands like that though.

Corn cob pipes are so awesome! I'm going to make one eventually, I can see myself getting into pipe making.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Phantom309

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Thank you Clay... It has been so painless putting them down with the use of my electronic cigarette. Nicotine in itself isn't really bad for you from what I hear. It's the 3,999 other chemicals in it that make it bad.

The hardest part of quitting is changing your habits and routines. After the new year I'm going to start coming off of the nicotine, and be free of everything.

If you need any help or advice please let me know, it's tough but it can be done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Heya Adam, welcome to BoB and well done on quitting the cig's, nasty orrible things anyway mate, much better off without those yeuchy things, to get yourself a nice pipe, try buying a cob for now and then putting aside the money you would have spent on cig's in a jar each day, after a few weeks you'll be able to buy yourself a few low-end Briars, then you will be suffering the relentless illness we all suffer from here PAD, which of course will lead onto the secondary illness suffered by folk here TAD, it is inevitable, it's no use trying to fight it, go quietly and enjoy yourself, we'll be watching as your pipe collection grows and your baccy store amount, then you can look back and go "damn, they were right, I am not well". Twisted Evil Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Welcome to the BoB. Good to have you here. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:02 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Hello, Adam. Welcome aboard.
Congratulations on giving up cigarettes. I made the switch to the pipe twice myself.
What makes you think you'll ruin a pipe by smoking it? Do you have giant lobster claws for hands? (If so, pics please Razz ) Or are you just worried you'll burn it out while leaning proper technique? If so, why not start with a cob? Yes, they still make them. Yes, serious pipers smoke them. If you were on my front porch right now, I'd force you to take one. It's probably good that you're not, though; that guy never came back. scratch

This is the best advice you can get.

Welcome to the BoB.

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Welcome to BoB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:06 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:08 am

Florida huh? I could use some sun and warm at this point. Welcome to BoB from the frozen northern states.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soylentgreen

Registration date : 2012-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:54 am

Phantom309 wrote:

Lol lobster claws...I like that one, no lobster claws here. I would post pics if I had hands like that though.

How could someone with Lobster Claw hands take a picture and post them? Don't lobsters prefer water colors? jocolor

Anyway, welcome!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Just arrived here from Florida   Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Welcome, Adam! I hope you have fun here

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22