HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Humble Beginnings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CigarKen

Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Humble Beginnings   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:30 pm

No plans to remodel at this time other than a small heater. A nice little place to enjoy some Tunes and tobacco.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Let's see - enclosed, laptop, radio, lighting, and a chair.

You're going to add a small heater so a small Fridge to the list and you're good to go!

Absolutely nothing wrong there - before I bought this house I did something similar with a small shed in the backyard. It didn't have windows, so I added one of those solar powered attic fans from Lowes. (I removed the Solar Panel and powered it with a homemade 12v power supply so it would run anytime I wanted it to) It moved just enough air to keep it from getting too smokey inside with the door closed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Very cool, that will make an awesome smoking den, worth looking out for an old leather armchair or something similar at garage sales and such, might as well be comfy in your man-cave eh. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:38 am

We all have to have our own little kingdom where no one bothers you and you can contemplate the whichness of why and other deep subjects. And all BS aside, having your own personal place is very important to your mental health!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm

A man's spot is his spot. At times, sometimes even temporary. Like a cat choosing a place for her kittens, it has to be special, and only the person with the pipe can really tell. Smile

I am a bit nomadic at times with my work, and I have become a master at finding these kinds of spots that do quite well. I have a folding Coleman camp armchair with a small table that folds out from the side, a pad for my rear (they get a bit uncomfortable after an hour), headphones, and my laptop, or a good book. So long as the wind and precipitation aren't driving, I'm good to go.

Ideally, I'd have some kind of semi-enclosed porch that kept me from the wind, as I really prefer to be outside when I smoke. A indoor library or smoking den of sorts would be okay, but I'd find myself outside 9 times out of 10.

If it's your spot, then it's your spot. I think it's swell. A big-screen for ball games might be a nice upgrade. Twisted Evil Yeah, and a 'fridge. That'd be awesome.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
A man's spot is his spot. At times, sometimes even temporary. Like a cat choosing a place for her kittens, it has to be special, and only the person with the pipe can really tell. Smile

Cool

I will not be baited; everything
doesn't have to be a cat thread. Wink
cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Hermit wrote:

I will not be baited; everything
doesn't have to be a cat thread. Wink
cat

I'm sorry, that wasn't to goad you further into/away from cathoardism. Laughing

I actually was watching an episode of Star Trek: TNG where Data's cat Spot was about to have kittens, found a place to have them, then everyone on board caught some virus that made them de-evolve into simpler forms of their respective species...

...weird. But that's why I thought of that. Not sure where to go with that next. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
keen smoke

Registration date : 2012-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Looks a treat. Life's simple pleasures...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:05 pm

I like it. Don't make it too comfortable, it will draw people.

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:01 pm

cat cat cat cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:21 am

sand18f wrote:
I like it. Don't make it too comfortable, it will draw people.

Bill

Another reason why I smoke outside and alone...the snivelers say "too hot, too cold, too windy..." peace is had. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:35 am

CigarKen wrote:
No plans to remodel at this time other than a small heater. A nice little place to enjoy some Tunes and tobacco.

It looks good brother! cheers cheers

Up until recent surgery, and the onset of winter, I smoked either outdoors or in my garage. Presently due to my disablement I'm smoking indoors in a lovely reclining chair with a large LED TV and central heating........

I think I preferred the garage. I was rarely interrupted out there, whereas at present I'm frequently having to stop smoking as other members of the family drift into our living area. I found it much better to have a 'designated smoking area' or 'individual space' such as Kyle was describing.

Time spent alone in reflective thought is all I need to enjoy smoking a pipe (a good book and an iPad also help)...........and a climate warmer than Baltic!

BTW my beer fridge is located in our garage directly adjacent to my chair......

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CigarKen

Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks guys.

I have heard over the years guys saying that good company makes a good cigar better but I always enjoyed them more when I was alone and could really pay attention to the tobacco.
I am finding it the same with pipes.
I am afraid to put a comfy chair out there because that is where I would be all the time and my wife would either invade my sanctuary or just make me live out there.
I quit drinking 19 years ago so the fridge would do me no good but I do take a large glass of sweet tea with me so some plumbing might be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonarman

Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 pm

CigarKen wrote:
Thanks guys.

I have heard over the years guys saying that good company makes a good cigar better but I always enjoyed them more when I was alone and could really pay attention to the tobacco.
I am finding it the same with pipes.
I am afraid to put a comfy chair out there because that is where I would be all the time and my wife would either invade my sanctuary or just make me live out there.
I quit drinking 19 years ago so the fridge would do me no good but I do take a large glass of sweet tea with me so some plumbing might be a good idea.

Yes, I'm quite nomadic as well and find that my cigars and pipes put on the best show when it's just me and them. I currently have a rubbermaid shed that my wife very graciously lined the bottom with indoor/outdoor carpet. It could fit 2 maybe 3 but agian works best with one. I have my laptop a lamp and an electric heater. I gladly lose 1 to 2 hours of sleep most nights to come out here and enjoy my pipe or a cigar to forget about the day. It keeps me sane, recharges my batteries and the wife most importantly approves. Congrats on 19 years, I'm working on 5 myself cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 pm

My friend that runs our poker game has those chairs in his garage, as well. They are very, very comfy.

Ya got a roof, tunes, and a 'puter.

Works for me !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 am

Jers wrote:

It looks good brother! cheers cheers

Up until recent surgery, and the onset of winter, I smoked either outdoors or in my garage. Presently due to my disablement I'm smoking indoors in a lovely reclining chair with a large LED TV and central heating........

I think I preferred the garage. I was rarely interrupted out there, whereas at present I'm frequently having to stop smoking as other members of the family drift into our living area. I found it much better to have a 'designated smoking area' or 'individual space' such as Kyle was describing.

Time spent alone in reflective thought is all I need to enjoy smoking a pipe (a good book and an iPad also help)...........and a climate warmer than Baltic!

BTW my beer fridge is located in our garage directly adjacent to my chair......

Every guy needs his space, whether that be "where he is at the moment" or a designated area... I try and instil this in every new couple that wants to try their hand at nesting or moving in. Many women and better halves et al seem to have this notion that everything is shared (or theirs equally by proxy) and its the most confluent relationships that have the, at best, unspoken understanding of what "space" means, and when it is necessary. It can be at any time, and any place. If they get to cry, bitch, pout or whine at the drop of a hat, a man gets to choose his time and place to be alone. It's just the way of things. Laughing It takes time to balance out, but meh--I want my cake and to eat it, too...

...however that works out, a pipe is the best company, time and space, spent alone.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Humble Beginnings   Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:16 am

CigarKen wrote:

I wish I had one of those!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Humble Beginnings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1