HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Not a great day...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Not a great day...   Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:30 pm

So, yesterday was kind of a rough day for me, not compared to someone like those in Mobile who lost their houses to tornados, but compared to a normal day. I was out in the garage making a pipe and having a great time, when my bandsaw blade broke with only two small cuts left to make. Briar doesn't cut easily, so I decided to save time by not trying to cut it by hand, and just biting the bullet and making the dreaded trip to Lowes. When I got there, they didn't have the right blade, but they had one that I though might work, so I picked it up and headed home.

On my way home, my wife calls me and says she has some bad news. (Backstory) - I do have a non pipe-making job, so I just make pipes on the side. So when I'm working on a pipe on a "work" day, I typically take my laptop out to the garage and set it on the garbage can so I can check on things about every 15 minutes or so. Well, apparently my daughter needed to take out the trash, and thought she could do it without removing the laptop. She couldn't. It slid off the top of the almost 4" tall garbage can and on to my cement floor.

I LOVE technology, and I have a huge bias towards Apple products (But I won't make this an Apple thread), so the laptop she dumped was my $1,800 Macbook Pro, which is only a few years old. I know, I know...I could buy 3 laptops for that. But I didn't, I bought a MBP.

Well, when my wife told me what happened, I went silent for a while on the phone. I believe that "stuff" is just stuff, and try to keep that in perspective, but I still needed some time to process what had happened, so I took it. Meanwhile, my daughter is torn up inside. She feels awful. Remember breaking any of your dad's stuff as a kid?

I'm very much a "don't cry over spilled milk, or laptops kind of guy, so after I collected myself I called my daughter and told her that I knew it was a mistake, the laptop is just stuff, and that I loved her a whole lot more than stuff. That was all she needed to hear. All that said, we've had a few educational discussions about really thinking through things before doing them. Very Happy

So, I got home and looked at my laptop, and it could have definitely been worse. It works fine,... but it's kind of like having a brand new car and getting into a fender bender with it. I'll never get rid of the dents or scratches....well at least not with Apples call in service Mad I could buy a lot of things for what they want to charge.

After I came to grips with it, I got back to work on my pipe and made some great progress. In fact, it was looking good. Well, in the process of fitting the stem, I cracked the shank, which I haven't done in a LONG time, rendering all that work completely useless, save for a little practical experience. What a day...

Well, today my wife asks me what I think about getting a new laptop??? Shocked I've had an easier conversation about getting new technology, so I'm considering it. Her thought is that I have to be on the thing all day long, so it might be worth it. So, I'm thinking about making someone a really good deal on a scratch and dent 2.5ghz duo core Macbook Pro. But this thread is about telling a story, and not about selling a computer, so if you're interested, don't reply in the thread, just PM me.

Thanks for listening.

Any stories of your own about breaking your dad's stuff as a kid, or your kids breaking your stuff? Misery loves company Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Trust me, Brother, if I had the extra funds right now I'd be the first to PM you about it.

Sorry about the BAD day, we've all had days like that at one time or another...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:23 pm

I've been in you daughters position before.

I wrecked my dad's truck. Not bad. affraid But just to be safe I camped out for about a week until I was sure it was relatively safe to come home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 pm

sorry you had such a rough day brother

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Dang Brian!!

Sounds like you need to sell some pipes!

I don't recall ever breaking anything my parents had, but we didn't have a whole lot when I was growing up.

on second thought I do remember dropping one of my dad's sockets from his prized socket set down the sewer drain when I was little and helping him with a project. Boy was he mad!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:56 pm

A Park Ranger buddy says "sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you". It sounds like you did well by your daughter. Long after your laptop is a discarded, out-of-date hunk of plastic, your daughter will remember the way you reacted to her mistake. The memory she'll carry the rest of her life will be worth a thousand laptops.

My worst feeling of damaging something belonging to a loved one was when I was 12 years old. We frequently stayed with my Aunt and Uncle in PA who had a lake house, boat, etc. In fact, I spent most of my childhood summers at the lake house. One day, while he was at work, I went down to the dock to finish with my cousins. I reared back to make a monster cast and caught a treble hook on the canvas top of my Uncle's new boat. I put a 3" tear in it. When he came home, I took him down the to the dock to show him the damage. He tussled my hair and said don't worry about it. Thinking back, I'm not sure he ever told my father (who probably should have paid for a new top and/or repair) about it. My Uncle went thru some tough times in the next 40 years (lost my Aunt, two children) and became somewhat of a hermit. He doesn't have a phone and I'd try to find him once or twice a year, mostly without luck. The lake house, dock and boat were all in shambles on my last visit with him nowhere to be found. The repaired tear was still on the tattered boat roof, and I remembered the day I did it like it was yesterday. A few weeks ago, I googled his name and found he had passed away in the summer. I've never forgotten how he reacted to my mistake and try to remember that incident when accidents happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:11 am

Gutted you had such a trying day, it's good that your daughter felt so bad, my elder daughter tore the diaphragm on my late Bro's 250 speakers a year ago, I wasn't mad as such, very upset but not angry, so I said to her "I know you didn't do it just to be nasty and I know you're really sorry", to this she said "I'm not sorry Dad, I was bored", kids huh, wish my daughter was a soulful as yours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:30 am

When the first bad thing happens to me in a day, I can be assured that it's just the first in a long procession of things throughout the day... or so it seems. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. Glad you were able to keep your cool with the daughter. You just gave her another reason to love her Daddy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soylentgreen

Registration date : 2012-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:09 am

I'm sorry about your day. But I gotta say that's an inspiring story about parenting (I've got 2 kiddos). riff raff's story too. As a parent, its tough to *always* remember that your kids will potentially take away a life-long memory and lesson from what you say or do... such a responsibility. It's stuff like this that makes me glad I had kids when I was a little older and mellower.

You done good, Brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:42 am

Brian,

Having two little one I can totally relate to this story. Our oldest is very accident prone, lots of scrapes, bumps, bruises, and she even suffered a broken arm at school when she was four. In her very formative years she was quite capable of tripping on thin air and in the process breaking small tables, candle holders, fine china, mom's favorite knick knacks and last but not least knocking over and completely destroying a beautiful stained glass lamp shade. Shocked At one point we literally had to strip the house of anything of value, put anything nice away. That was several years ago prior to her being diagnosed with severe ADD/ADHD and sensory processing disorder, (but that's another story entirely)

From my own childhood, I have always had a keen interest in cooking. I taught myself the basics from a little book on French cooking, I would bake breads, make preserves, sauces, I started brewing beer, etc. When I first met my wife I was still living with my parents and I would often make dinner for her and my mom and dad. My father made wines and had a nicely stocked cellar with some really nice bottles.

Anyway he and my mother were away on travel and I went down into his cellar to find a Bordeaux to go with the dinner I was making especially for my significant other. I told my dad I was having company and mentioned that I was opening a bottle of wine for the occasion, he was totally cool with it. During our dinner the phone rang and I couldn't help but thinking how absolutely fantastic the wine I opened was. My father was on the other end of the line, "Ah, with the Bordeaux's please don't open such, and such a bottle, it's quite expensive and rare and I have been saving it for a special occasion." He had a good two hundred bottles of wine down there and of all the bottles I could have opened, I pulled the cork on "that" bottle. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your day Brian, I can certainly sympathise. I'm not talking pleasure in it, but for me sometimes its nice to hear other people are having similar problems to my own. Too often I think people only show you the highlights, which kind of leaves me thinking "what the hell am I doing wrong then?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey Growley, does it still work? I also have a MBP and one of my kids also knocked it off a table and dented it. It still worked fine. Then, a month later, while I was away on business, he got hold of it and something happened (he doesn't remember) and the screen cracked. All of that was more than a year ago. I still use the thing. It still works fine. There are a couple of cracks in the screen but it doesn't really bother me. I don't really feel any burning urge to replace it as long as it still is functional. All of which is to say, if you are using it in your shop anyway, then maybe just keep using it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Reminds me of my next door neighbors across the street when I was growing up.

The kid was my age, and his dad was a holy terror. I remember when I would go over to their house and ring the door bell, his dad would answer the door holding a .357 magnum in plain sight. He had his son so stressed out, that the kid kept his fingernails bit to the point of bleeding.

Fast forward to when we were around 13. The kid had found a wasp nest had been built on the side of his dads barn, which corner to corner was only about 40 feet from the house. Kid decides to get some gasoline, and douse the wasp nest, before setting fire to it with a match. Needless to say, he was lucky he didn't set himself on fire or burn the house to the ground as well. The entire neighborhood watched while the barn burned to the ground, and the kids dad was highly pissed and paced back and forth ranting and raving in front of everyone.

A few years prior to this, the kids dad had opened a small business called Jerry's Odds and Ends. It had all kinds of stuff at discounted prices. After a year, he decided to close it, and all the leftover inventory had been stashed in the upper level of the barn. The entire contents of the barn were a loss, since the old man was away from home when his kid started the fire.

The belief that if you spare the rod, you spoil the child, was definitely the old mans creed. He even went so far on some occasions, that he thought it was his right to punish all the children in the neighborhood if he saw fit.

To this day, I will never forget one time the old man laughed and called me a lard ass in front of a few of the neighbors. I think that statement, and how he handled the fire in the barn, are the two main things I remember most about him.

Brian, I think it shows a lot of wisdom, handling the situation the way you did, since all the kids in your neighborhood will remember this kind of thing as long as they live. Kids can tell when an adult really cares about them, and when they are insecure control freaks with over blown egos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Not a great day...   Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:24 pm

I echo what Dutch says.

My motto has always been: don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things

My brother and I did enough crap as kids, and I saw my Dad handle what we did with such coolness and grace, that it's just hard for me to get mad at one of my kids with a straight face
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Not a great day...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1