HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My first attempt at carving a pipe!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nismo270r

nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

My first attempt at carving a pipe! Empty
PostSubject: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Here's my first attempt at making a pipe:

After first rough shaping:
My first attempt at carving a pipe! Firstpipe-001

Second rough shaping:
My first attempt at carving a pipe! Firstpipe-002
My first attempt at carving a pipe! Firstpipe-003

After more shaping and bending the stem:
My first attempt at carving a pipe! Firstpipe-004
My first attempt at carving a pipe! Firstpipe-005

And the final product:
My first attempt at carving a pipe! Firstpipe-006
My first attempt at carving a pipe! Firstpipe-007
My first attempt at carving a pipe! Firstpipe-008

Definitely no masterpiece, but it can only get better from here right? Smile this was from a pre-drilled kit from Mark Tinsky. My buddy has been helping me along my journey into pipe making, and its been a blast! I also picked up a piece of plateau and some lucite rod stock from Tim West at the Columbus show to work on for my mext endeavor. I also signed up for the 2013 CPCC Pipe Show pipe making workshop, and I can't wait!
Back to top Go down
nogbert

nogbert

Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:23 pm

great job on that pipe brother! BEAUTIFUL stain/grain!

To me it looks like it should be a straight pipe, but to each their own!

Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:35 pm

nogbert wrote:
great job on that pipe brother! BEAUTIFUL stain/grain!

To me it looks like it should be a straight pipe, but to each their own!

Keep it up!

Agreed on all counts. Cool
Back to top Go down
bosun1

bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 5:25 pm

I think that bend makes the pipe!
Back to top Go down
nismo270r

nismo270r

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the comments! I went back and forth with the bend in the stem. I remember seeing a Dunhill prince that had a similar bend so I figured why not give it a go with this one. Also, with the way the tobacco chamber is drilled, the angle of the bend makes the tobacco chamber sit straight when it's in the mouth. It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to start acquiring my own tools and getting started on another!
Back to top Go down
Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 3:49 pm

nismo270r wrote:
Thanks for all the comments! I went back and forth with the bend in the stem. I remember seeing a Dunhill prince that had a similar bend so I figured why not give it a go with this one. Also, with the way the tobacco chamber is drilled, the angle of the bend makes the tobacco chamber sit straight when it's in the mouth. It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to start acquiring my own tools and getting started on another!

Yep, you've got the bug now! You won't want to stop making pipes now!
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am

That is one lovely piece of wood. And you're starting with a lathe? You are certainly beginning with a leg up!

Now go make another. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
nismo270r

nismo270r

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am

UberHuberMan wrote:
That is one lovely piece of wood. And you're starting with a lathe? You are certainly beginning with a leg up!

Well, my friend that has the equipment made his first pre-drilled kit completely with a dremel and said "never again" haha. I don't know how many bits he chewed through. He got the min lathe and an end mill from a friend of his who had them for awhile, but never used them. Both of us need to get in touch with some of the more established carvers around the Indy area to meet up and really get schooled!

And I will definitely be making another as soon as I can. I have a piece of plateau and lucite rod stock that I picked up at the NASPC show this past August that I need to get cracking on!
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Very interesting take on the Prince shape, job very well done, I look forward to seeing more from you soon. Wink
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 12:30 pm

nismo270r wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:

Well, my friend that has the equipment made his first pre-drilled kit completely with a dremel and said "never again" haha. I don't know how many bits he chewed through. He got the min lathe and an end mill from a friend of his who had them for awhile, but never used them. Both of us need to get in touch with some of the more established carvers around the Indy area to meet up and really get schooled!

And I will definitely be making another as soon as I can. I have a piece of plateau and lucite rod stock that I picked up at the NASPC show this past August that I need to get cracking on!

Try contacting Nate King or Wayne Teipen. These are the first guys I'd recommend getting in touch with if you want some schoolin'. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
nismo270r

nismo270r

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 3:01 am

Thanks for the info Uber!
Back to top Go down
Jeffry Don

Jeffry Don

Registration date : 2013-06-28

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Very nice. I think you have made me want to try my hand at making one! If mine comes out half as good as yours I will be very happy:D 
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Great job looking forward to seeing more pipes from you sir.
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Damn! Very nice first attempt. Looks like a winner to me!

cyclops 

Cheers,

RR

My first attempt at carving a pipe! Purple11x 3My first attempt at carving a pipe! Bombx10My first attempt at carving a pipe! Bombx10  My first attempt at carving a pipe! D6bddf10 My first attempt at carving a pipe! 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d My first attempt at carving a pipe! Cowboy13My first attempt at carving a pipe! 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 am

It is disgusting; all this talent and none of it rubbing off.
Back to top Go down
nismo270r

nismo270r

PostSubject: Re: My first attempt at carving a pipe!   My first attempt at carving a pipe! EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Lol, I can highly recommend getting to the Chicago Pipe Show Pipe Making Seminar if you can.  Here was my second pipe from the seminar this past May, although this one I had a LOT of help from the following makers: Rex Poggenpohl, Brian Ruthenberg, Andy Petersen (Quad City Pipes), Mike Butera, Rad Davis, & Lee Erck

My first attempt at carving a pipe! 2---Seminar--007

My first attempt at carving a pipe! 2---Seminar--010
Back to top Go down

My first attempt at carving a pipe!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: