HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bowl Coating

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:26 pm

the rev wrote:
sorry, I just thought when you said, "ALL" you meant all Smile

rev

I pretty much thought that when I typed it, then this conversation made me go look and I saw a few guys who I figured wouldn't have used coatings who did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Does a coated bowl improve the taste of a pipe ?

Only if it's made of mis-handled or improperly seasoned briar.

So why do it at all if it doesn't ?

The one reason that survives rational examination is that it provides a thermal cushion that can (but not necessarily will) keep some idiot from smoking it so hot for so long that he burns it out, and then wanting a refund because the briar was "defective" while he goes around badmouthing the maker to anyone who'll listen to him.

Same reason why mass-produced violins have always been made with overly thick tops. Spruce splits easily when subjected to abrupt changes in temperature & humidity. Thick tops make for excruciatingly treble-sounding fiddles, but they cut down on complaints/returns.

When LL was still here, he posted a box of six ultra-high end estates that somebody sent him for re-furbing. The interiors were horribly charred and cracked. Most of them were beyond salvaging. Some clown has spent maybe $2,000 each on them, ruined them, and then dumped them on somebody optomistic enough to assume that the kind of idiots haven't been born yet who would abuse nice pipes like that.

But they have been. And they're out there ! Twisted Evil

If that's the reason, then fine.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 am

Crap, my second viola was a thick-top, and the nasal-like resonance that would come from playing third-position on the C/A strings was enough to make my teeth feel like they were quaking in the bone-sockets. Ugh. I ended up sanding the finish off, spray-painting it and making it an electric viola. Sounded okay, especially when plugged into effects pedals. Twisted Evil

I dunno, though. Bowl coatings as insurance against burnouts seems to me to be akin to putting a car cover over a porsche parked street-side in a dodgy neighborhood. If something's gonna happen to it, it's going to happen to it. Placement and practice are everything. People do stupid sh*t about every sixth of a second.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:10 am

Not even sure why you have an opinion on this Yak, you don't believe new pipes are worth a damn anyways.

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 am

the rev wrote:
Not even sure why you have an opinion on this Yak, you don't believe new pipes are worth a damn anyways.

rev

DO NOT question Yak! He's the resident expert about ALL aspects of pipes and smoking here . Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 am

Well when it comes to pipes I will trust Todd Johnson, my pipes will never be old enough or cheap enough, or traditional enough for Yak to buy them anyways

rev
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 am

50 years ago, when enough of the world I'm familiar with had its head on straight enough to function without "professional intervention," what follows was still true, but not to the extent it is today :

New pipes and new violins make their way, initially, on the impression their looks creates. After the sale though, there's a lot of time and effort that goes into separating the gold from the stones in the pan of use.

Taking up with a woman today, from what I've seen around me, is damned near akin to raising a child. Whether that's worth the effort is a moot point.

Same with pipes.

Same with violins.

The fact remains though that their best years are ahead for some of all three.

None of them are "All that. And a bag of chips. And an 8-ball" right out of the box. Disabusing them of the notion "society' has implanted in them that they are is step one.

What a Face

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

Quote :
DO NOT question Yak! He's the resident expert about ALL aspects of pipes and smoking here Twisted Evil

William Blake wrote:
Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you.
(Songs of Innocence and Experience.)

What a Face
Back to top Go down
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:09 pm

I know a lot of people that speak their minds with conviction that are total morons, I hold very little value in speaking your mind on the interwebs. Having a well reasoned and lived out conviction is something else entirely, it is strength. Of course what I consider well reasoned and thought out you may consider idiotic. It may well be. But screaming something loudly with conviction means nothing if its not true. One need only look at our politicians to see this fact.

On this subject it seems there are two camps. I am going to follow my mentors. But I will not force my opinion upon my customers. My only strong objection is the declarative statement that coatings are made to cover up bad briar or flaws. I will accept that it is often done, but not always, and it will not be done in my case

rev
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 pm

If the boring parts aren't boring, then the exciting parts aren't exciting, because there's nothing they contrast with. Same with silly & serious & the rest of it.

"Controversy" included.

If a group-hug circle jerk is your idea of the right environment, then Smokers Forums is your kind of place. Laughing

But you know this. And you're here. That tells me something.

An occasional spit-ball is a great antidote to an excess of "classroom polite" behavior. Cool

What a Face
Back to top Go down
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 pm

I don't mind a fight, believe me. What I was simply pointing out is that speaking your mind isn't really a virtue if you are an idiot. The bible says, "better to be silent and thought a fool that to open your mouth and remove all doubt". If you loudly declare idiotic statements you are still an idiot, just more people know it. I also think many stupid men will grab Blake's quote and use it to justify themselves, when the fact is people are avoiding them because of "pearls before swine" rather than fear of their strength.

None of this has to do with you, or this conversation. I just don't like the quote you posted, as I see it as illogical.

rev
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 pm

But you know what ?

It works in practice. Very Happy

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Well, it's why I'm here, anyway, other forums are effin' boring. Contrast in all forms makes life...well, more like real life... Laughing I'm with ya, What a Face .

Meanwhile, Rev, follow your mentors, and of course, abide by customer request: you found the right formula already. Very Happy

BoB is less "Internet" than the rest of the Internets. Probably why we have the crew we do.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:25 pm

My experience is bare briar breaks in just fine. I don't know why it should be messed with. As there is no clear indication that the coating is needed, I would think that the best course would be to do nothing. The coating is an extra step.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:03 pm

and that is a very valid opinion not shared by many

rev
Back to top Go down
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm

another page of posts and coated bowls still suck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:37 pm

great summary!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:01 pm

sisyphus wrote:

lol!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:34 pm

sisyphus wrote:

An OPINION, not a FACT Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 pm

There are no absolute truths in pipe smoking. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Of course it is an opinion, based on experience. They're all opinions. So far Todd Johnson is the only argument anyone has made for coatings. I don't have a mancrush on Todd so I remain unswayed. It was funny for a minute, now we'll all go back to what we were doing, and I'll still feel that uncoated bowls have a greater likelihood of smoking sweet to neutral than coated bowls, which in my experience have a greater likelihood of smoking dark. Meet you guys back here in a couple months for the exact same discussion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
There are no absolute truths in pipe smoking. tongue

You must ignite the tobacco to smoke it. No way around that as far as I can see. IMHO, naturally. Razz

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Larry Roush, a pipe artisan I really respect uses a bowl coating. When GLP reviewed one of Larry's pipes, here is what he said:

"But, wait! This bowl IS coated! After all my ranting and raving about how much I hate bowl coatings, about how the best of them are acceptable at best, I was quite surprised by the transparency of Roush's. What distinguishes this coating from the others is its complete absence of coloration to the taste of the tobacco. I asked Larry about it, about what it was, about why he uses it, explaining to him my usual prejudice against the stuff.

He doesn't use it to disguise flaws in the bowl, as some makers seem to, nor does he use it to "protect" the bowl from abusive smokers. It's raison d'Ítre is simple. Because of his curing process, Roush's bowls are extremely porous. When he stains them, the stain sometimes soaks through the wood, into the bowl, leaving a mottled appearance. "It just doesn't look right," Larry told me, "so I developed the coating. It is 100% edible, and really only serves to improve the aesthetic appearance of the inside of the bowl."

I'd have to agree. It certainly does nothing to detract from the excellent smoking qualities of the pipe. And, obviously that porous nature of his wood plays a very definite role in the excellent smoking characteristics of the pipe. The wood coupled with excellent engineering, a wonderful, open draw, and perfect construction delivers to the smoker an extraordinary experience. From the first bowl, the tobacco has smoldered cleanly, effortlessly, right to the bottom, leaving only a dry ash, and the desire to smoke the pipe again right away. In fact, I did just that. Three times the first day. Each bowl was even better than the last. Break-in? What's break-in?"

See http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Reviews/Roush.php

So maybe it depends on the coating?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 pm

I would just like to go on record as saying that I do have a man crush on Todd Johnson

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Since bowl coating has been noted as not being a "standard" thing in and of itself, some people's recipe may help, may hinder or simply do nothing. This crapshoot has led me to believe it either needs not to exist in a pipe, or needs to be removed if possible. Greg ain't gonna lie--which is why I like him. He'll call an ace an ace.

Now, if someone would chime in on what a good bowl coating is and should be, and why, that'd be worth discussing more than steadfast opinions and heel-digging about it all. At least to me. I haven't concluded that bowl coatings are broken clocks right twice a day, but there's likely 100 reasons why they're used, unscrupulously or purposefully.

Some of us simply don't like to take the chance. Furthermore, if someone has a formula and application that makes it work, well...that's a different matter. Many of us aren't rich enough to try each and every maker's approach for a realistic evaluation.

:raisesglass: Here's to four more pages. Four more pages! Four more pages! lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bowl Coating
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next