HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bowl Coating

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Now that Kyle has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, let the games begin ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Well I have found that the best concoction to use is very old motor oil, mixed with ez light charcoal ground to powder. It not only is a beautiful black, but helps keep your tobacco lit

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:42 pm

...see, and I figured used aquarium filtration, particularly ground-up activated charcoal, mixed with a little cheap gin would have been ideal... shows what I know. Twisted Evil

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:50 pm

In Canada we coat our bowls with gunpowder, whether they've been pre-coated or not. We're tough up here, and the acrid smell once it's lit helps dull the malodorous scent of the Mixture #79 that we all smoke up here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Buttermilk seems to be popular solvent.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:09 am

Most of my pipes are Boswells, and he coats them. The others I have are a Yak, the L'Anatra (no coats), and two Petes (coated) and I once had a Northern Briars that was coated as well.

Of the 7 Boswells, one of them tasted 'funny'. Too sweet, in an off putting way, and didn't fit with the Latakia blends I was smoking in it. It's the largest bowl I have, so maybe it's just total surface area that caused it. I sanded down the inside (after a couple of months of frustration, and probably a couple dozen smokes) and it immediately improved. One of my Pete's was kinda similar, with a funky taste, so I sanded that one down, too.

To my thinking, it had to be the coatings. Funny, though, the rest of the coated bowls smoked fine..a bit sweet first couple of bowls, but then what I'd call "normal" thereafter.

The two virgin bowls smoked great from the start.

My summation: I'd prefer uncoated over coated, based on experience. I don't care how the inside of the bowl looks...after some tobak through it, she'll be nice and dark. I do understand how, from a marketer's perspective, that the completed look of a coated bowl can be desirable.

Bottom line: I'll buy based on the pipe and the maker...if it's coated so be it. If it's funky after a few smokes, I'm sanding to the wood.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Yak wrote:
Buttermilk seems to be popular solvent.

What a Face

Suspect Suspect Suspect

...seriously? Laughing Or are you being cheeky?

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Seriously.

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=pipe+coating+buttermilk&oq=pipe+coating+buttermilk&gs_l=firefox-hp.3...1990.6803.0.8355.23.13.0.10.3.0.90.1082.13.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.dePwISCrPyM

What a Face
Back to top Go down
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm

just for the sake of fanning the flames... just saw an eltang with bowl coating

and yes buttermilk is one of the ingredients in some recipes

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:29 am

Yak wrote:
Seriously.

the rev wrote:
and yes buttermilk is one of the ingredients in some recipes

...that's...really gross. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 pm

I'd like to think Greg gets ALL his inspiration from the Genius of BoB. cheers

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/bowl-coatings-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-part-i/

Part II will undoubtedly interest me, as I've always been curious at the different takes on types of bowl coatings, their recipes, etc.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:34 pm

They stink and I hate 'em ! Twisted Evil

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 am

I don't like 'em either, but they can be dealt with.

Pipe smokers + panties + bowl coating discussion = lots of wadding.

Laughing

:trollbait:

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:30 am

Kyle only does vegan bowl coatings
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Sure. Laughing Uh huh.

My preferred bowl coating is applied with about 30 rounds of good pipe smoking.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm looking forward to part two!

For the record, I prefer uncoated bowls, but I wouldn't let the presence of a coating deter me from buying a pipe I liked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

One thing I love about my Moretti's, is that Marco doesn't coat the bowls. Cool

I must admit, that I would prefer that a pipe have zero coating of any type. However, my common sense tells me that if certain names in the industry are using them, they have found a way to coat those bowls with zero effect on the flavor of the tobacco.

I'm fairly certain, that the bowl coatings that present a problem, are usually the cheaper mass produced pipes, which the bowl coating is there in the best interest of the manufacturer, not the consumer.

As discerning and particular as some of the top artisans and collectors are, I highly doubt that all bowl coatings are created equal. Having said that, bowl coating disadvantages, in my estimation, are more dependent on the individual carving the pipe, than any other factor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: An Apology for Bowl Coatings (as circumstantial application)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:55 pm

The recent article by Pease regarding the debate over bowl coatings got me thinking. While I am not a big fan of coated bowls, and will generally remove them from a new pipe before breaking it in, there is at least one instance where I have found them to be extremely useful. Namely, in the case of a pipe which displays the dreaded grey charred or soft spots which could, if left unattended long enough, result in the continued degradation of the chamber and eventual burn out. Many such pipes have passed through my hands.

Finding the oft-touted cigar ash “pipe mud” insufficiently smooth, strong, and easy to work with in fine applications such as treating, say, a small area of grey char in a chamber, I have found the following bowl coating method to work very well. I have used it with great success in pipes whose damaged chambers gave cause to worry.

The bowl coating itself is a paste made by mixing a small amount of full-fat yogurt or sour cream with the contents of fine black charcoal capsules (available at any health food store). Start with a very small amount of yogurt or sour cream and continue mixing in charcoal powder until it becomes jet black, then mix in some more charcoal, and even a little bit more for good measure. The goal is to produce a think, smooth paste in which as much charcoal particles are suspended as possible, without it being grainy. I typically let the mixture sit covered in the refrigerator overnight, then drain off any excess water and mix again. The paste should be very thick, yet very smooth.

Application is done with a small, flat glue/flux brush (available at any hardware store, usually in bags of ten or twenty; very inexpensive). Apply a very thin, consistent layer and allow to dry. When sufficiently dry, wipe out the bowl and then apply another very thin layer. I will typically repeat this process a number of times, with the goal being to fill-in the soft or low spots, cracks, or fissures so that the entire bowl surface is even. With careful smoking, the resulting coating left behind after the application/wiping process is then covered with a veneer of true cake, and voila, worry abated.

I have used this recipe numerous times with great success. The coating is innocuous, strong, and takes a natural cake very well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:31 pm

gravel wrote:
I'm looking forward to part two!

For the record, I prefer uncoated bowls, but I wouldn't let the presence of a coating deter me from buying a pipe I liked.

Inteligent thought. Not found much these days Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:54 pm

I just finished doing 3 hours of sanding to remove the coating from a Peterson. I wouldn't do it again unless I truly loved the pipe, and I wouldn't feel good about leaving it there, either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Cotton balls & Everclear (?)

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Peterson bowl coatings are more robust than the black paint they use on the outside of some of their pipes. pale

I gave up on trying to remove Pete coatings. Even getting most of it out with sandpaper, I could still taste it. It haughtily resisted alcohol as a solvent, too. Only smoking the pipe "removed" the coating.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Neil

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Peterson bowl coatings are more robust than the black paint they use on the outside of some of their pipes. pale

I gave up on trying to remove Pete coatings. Even getting most of it out with sandpaper, I could still taste it. It haughtily resisted alcohol as a solvent, too. Only smoking the pipe "removed" the coating.

I have to agree with you about removing the coating from a Peterson Pipe. I cannot say anything about trying to remove the coating before smoking, as I never tried. However, I have noticed that the two Peterson Pipes I have no longer have a coating in the heal of the bowl. So that tells me smoking and cleaning your pipe regularly will, in time, remove the Peterson coating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Pete coatings do morph into something other than their impervious inner-armor eventually as they are smoked, but I swear I taste sour cream in my newer Petes. Razz Thank goodness for my pre-Republic and my 1970s "Dinky" 80S.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coating   Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Pete coatings do morph into something other than their impervious inner-armor eventually as they are smoked, but I swear I taste sour cream in my newer Petes. Razz Thank goodness for my pre-Republic and my 1970s "Dinky" 80S.

Cool

I agree with this 100%. I have a new Peterson Barrel that I bought for VA flakes and everything tastes really off in it. I am certain it's the coating. My old K&P system smokes great however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bowl Coating
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next