HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:16 pm

The description of this looks nice. Yet the reviews on the review site seem to make it sound like it's bland.

I don't live and die by the review site btw, but thought a better idea would be to ask the brothers here on BoB what their experience was. Here's the info-

Bulk No.5120 Fragrant Virginia Ribb
Brand: McClelland
Blender: McClelland Tobacco Company
Tin Description: It is rich and smooth and balanced in flavor and aroma. Stoved Virginia cake tobaccos bring depth to the rubbed out red matured Virginias in this pleasantly fruity, naturally spicy, fragrant all Virginia mixture.
Country of Origin: US
Curing Group: Flue Cured
Contents:
Virginia
Cut: Ribbon
Packaging: Bulk

I like ginnys and stoved. So what's the reality?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:13 am

A couple years ago I bought 5120 to try after finding I liked 2000 fragrant cake. The ribbon cut makes it easy to pack and light, but it tasted flat and kind of ho-hum. I smoked it on and off over a weeks time to give it a chance using three different pipes with the same results. I lit up some 2000 in the same pipes to compare. In my opinion the 2000 is far superior in flavor, sweeter and a much fuller experience.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:37 pm

mark wrote:
A couple years ago I bought 5120 to try after finding I liked 2000 fragrant cake. The ribbon cut makes it easy to pack and light, but it tasted flat and kind of ho-hum. I smoked it on and off over a weeks time to give it a chance using three different pipes with the same results. I lit up some 2000 in the same pipes to compare. In my opinion the 2000 is far superior in flavor, sweeter and a much fuller experience.

This confirms my suspicions Mark. Thanks for the candid assessment.

I'll be getting in some 2000 soon, and am looking forward to trying that. After all the hoopla monbla has been posting about it I figured it was pipeworthy.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Brewdude wrote:
mark wrote:

I'll be getting in some 2000 soon, and am looking forward to trying that. After all the hoopla monbla has been posting about it I figured it was pipeworthy.

Cheers,

RR

It's EVERYTHING Mark says and MORE! It has that smooth, sweet tang of Red Va's that I LOVE !! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
mark wrote:

Cheers,

RR

It's EVERYTHING Mark says and MORE! It has that smooth, sweet tang of Red Va's that I LOVE !! Razz

Its an awesome tasting baccy. I could send you a sample if you want to try it Brewdude. PM me if interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 pm

gravel wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
mark wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Its an awesome tasting baccy. I could send you a sample if you want to try it Brewdude. PM me if interested.

Appreciate your kind offer gravel but I have some on the way.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 am

Brewdude wrote:
gravel wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
mark wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Appreciate your kind offer gravel but I have some on the way.

Cheers,

RR

You bet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Actually, I like them both, (2000 and 5120), but I find myself loading the 5120 more often............

Just sayin'............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Being the McC's ketchup aficionado that I am I have tried 5120 before but felt it was a lighter, softer less nuanced version of 5100 RC which I like almost as much as my fave FM 2000. Another Va in ribbon cut form which I like for it's change of pace from the sweetness in Red Vas is McC's 2010 Classic Virginia a nice mixture of lemon, orange and orange -red Vas which is more nuanced than 5120 IMHO. But they ALL are BETTER than much of the other Va's on the market today !! I will admit to being a bit more in favor of FM 2000 but I like those broken flake Red Vas !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:53 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Being the McC's ketchup aficionado that I am I have tried 5120 before but felt it was a lighter, softer less nuanced version of 5100 RC which I like almost as much as my fave FM 2000. Another Va in ribbon cut form which I like for it's change of pace from the sweetness in Red Vas is McC's 2010 Classic Virginia a nice mixture of lemon, orange and orange -red Vas which is more nuanced than 5120 IMHO. But they ALL are BETTER than much of the other Va's on the market today !! I will admit to being a bit more in favor of FM 2000 but I like those broken flake Red Vas !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

The broken flakes are quite yummy, for sure......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:57 pm

I like the 2000 a lot, especially when my taste buds are tapped out by overindulgence in heavier stuff. But my new love is Pease's Laurel Heights. It's a red, mostly. Just sayin'--I happen to be smoking it right now. Smells scrumptious in the tin, also, if that means anything. Check it out:

Rich, ripe, red leaf forms the base of this wonderful Virginia blend. The flavors are deep and round with a smooth, natural sweetness and subtle notes of orange peel, roasted oats, leather and peat. The smoke develops richness as it progresses delivering a long, clean finish that is never cloying or syrupy, with hints of malt and grapefruit. For lovers of darker, natural, unstoved Virginias.

The "leather," of course, is Corinthian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
I like the 2000 a lot, especially when my taste buds are tapped out by overindulgence in heavier stuff. But my new love is Pease's Laurel Heights. It's a red, mostly. Just sayin'--I happen to be smoking it right now. Smells scrumptious in the tin, also, if that means anything. Check it out:

Rich, ripe, red leaf forms the base of this wonderful Virginia blend. The flavors are deep and round with a smooth, natural sweetness and subtle notes of orange peel, roasted oats, leather and peat. The smoke develops richness as it progresses delivering a long, clean finish that is never cloying or syrupy, with hints of malt and grapefruit. For lovers of darker, natural, unstoved Virginias.

The "leather," of course, is Corinthian.

Laurel Hieghts is nice but it's not a straight Va, it has Latakia in it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:39 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Laurel Hieghts is nice but it's not a straight Va, it has Latakia in it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

As much as McClelland has tomato sauce? Man, if it does, it's light--which is A-OK with this here conosewer. Whatever--Mr. Pease knows what he's doing. Proof is in the puffing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:42 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

As much as McClelland has tomato sauce? Man, if it does, it's light--which is A-OK with this here conosewer. Whatever--Mr. Pease knows what he's doing. Proof is in the puffing.

I thought dude was asking about a straight Va! BTW Mike Neil knows as much if not more than Mr. Pease  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:08 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I thought dude was asking about a straight Va!  BTW Mike Neil knows as much if not more than Mr. Pease  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

To proceed with this hijacking: I've been a McClelland fan for decades. They were the first domestic class act in many B&Ms around the U.S. in the late '70s and I purchased accordingly. But what is a straight Virginia, in the sense of being pure? The only way one could convince me that the bulk 2000 does not have a topping applied would be for me to observe the manufacturing process from field to shipping dock. (Yes, we all know that virtually all tobacco is "cased.")
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:49 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
I thought dude was asking about a straight Va!  BTW Mike Neil knows as much if not more than Mr. Pease  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

To proceed with this hijacking: I've been a McClelland fan for decades. They were the first domestic class act in many B&Ms around the U.S. in the late '70s and I purchased accordingly. But what is a straight Virginia, in the sense of being pure? The only way one could convince me that the bulk 2000 does not have a topping applied would be for me to observe the manufacturing process from field to shipping dock. (Yes, we all know that virtually all tobacco is "cased.")

I concede and you have the last word !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Anyone tried McC bulk 5120 Fragrant Virginia?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1