HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Excessive Drooling

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CigarKen

Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Excessive Drooling   Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:52 pm

I have seen people spit a good deal when smoking spicy cigars but I never had that issue.
When smoking a pipe I was surprised that I did not have to have something to drink the whole time.

Yesterday I picked up some Savinelli Tobac Noir and as soon as I fired it up I was drooling like a mad dog. I thought it would fill the bowl if I kept the pipe in my mouth.
The tobacco was pretty mild and little flavor so I did not understand why this tobacco and not the others?
Anybody else experience this?

Ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Drooling   Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 pm

You're probably looking for people to relate this response to specific tobaccos, so what I say will be "off topic" (tangental).

But there are old farts in the pipe world (Marty Pulvers, for one) who have found that putting the stem further into your mouth reduces droolage into the pipe stem -- as does hand-smoking, with the stem at a downward angle.

Not your usual approach, but it works very well for those of us who, despite care & attention, were always either going through cleaners like potato chips or keeping a kleenex handy to periodically blot up the moisture that accumulated at the bit.

FWIW

What a Face
Back to top Go down
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Drooling   Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:48 am

I don't know what that tobac is made of, but a little bit too much perique gives me the drools. Didn't have the problem in my 'youth' but now is another matter..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Drooling   Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:05 pm

I have noticed a similar effect on some of my smokes, I never put it down to a particular tobacco though, I just figured I was being a little slack jawed during that smoke. Its entirely possible that it was the blend though... I've not had problems with saliva going in the stem, I'm sure I'd have detected that, mostly it seems to be an external and fairly cosmetic problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Drooling   Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:33 pm

What Yak said.

Also, when I first started out, I was a lot wetter-mouthed for some reason, and that has since cleared up...might have been a body reaction to something it wasn't familiar with. Having beverages with a pipe, especially when I'm working, on BoB, reading or otherwise "clenching" with my head more downward and the pipe resulting as the neck of the funnel--that helps, too. Most of the time, people also have a beverage while smoking for the same reason--to keep the palate clean, or the need to spit diluted enough to tolerate the concentrated flavors enough to just let them be by swallowing the lot. Sounds gross, but, it happens.

I think getting used to a tobacco (or tobacco in general) does help, but there's some mixtures that still taste great but make me wet-mouth a little. Hell, sometimes anticipation of a really good bowlful has me salivating! Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Excessive Drooling
Page 1 of 1