HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

First time snuffing

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: First time snuffing   Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:18 pm

just tried snuff for the first time. i was at a local tobacconist to grab a 'cob and noticed they had two brands of snuff. one was silver dollar, and they had a bunch of flavors. i grabbed original to check it out. got home and waited for my nose to stop running and went for it.

it has one of those dispenser things on it. i let it fall out on the little pocket behind my thumb. it seemed like a lot. i pinched about half of it off to the side and went for a sniff. not much went anywhere except on my lap Laughing

so i went for the second half. gentle sniff at first, got a little menthol smell going on, but nothing went up. so i sniffed a little harder. and got some in my nose. "alright, this isn't too bad! just a little bit harder of a sniff and i'll be set!"

well, my throat is now mentholated! hah! it wasn't all that bad, probably because it was just a little bit, but it wasn't pleasant. i'll keep trying until i get it! definitely has a nice wake you up nic hit. not enough for issues, just enough for a wake up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:22 pm

I haven't done any snuff for quite some time. A while back a friend of mine returned from Germany with some Poschl products. An Apricot snuff which was really enjoyable, and a small bottle of this snuff

It's a Poschl bottle and it was filled with some seriously evil snuff. One small little snus and my hands would almost immediately begin sweating. It got to the point where it became a Pavlovian like nicotine reaction with this stuff for me, and I never got over it. Snus, Sweat, Snus Sweat. Needless to say I soon gave up any ambition I had for pursuing snuff products. However I did really enjoy the mellower Poschl Gawith Apricot snuff which I quickly ran out of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 am

I treat snuff like I treat pipe tobacco and I try them all. You'll run across a couple you really like, but why stop when there could be something even more perfect. Just my train of thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:12 am

kaiser83 wrote:
I treat snuff like I treat pipe tobacco and I try them all. You'll run across a couple you really like, but why stop when there could be something even more perfect. Just my train of thought.

yeah i wish there was more at the local B&Ms. oh well. i'll see what i get from brewdude and go from there. i do have to say that some of your posts are the reason i tried it. so thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Alright, my shipment from Brewdude arrived. Thanks, Brewdude! In it are:
Mendo Mulcher Snuff Bullet (which is really cool. Iím going to buy a few more. Helps for when I want to snuff at work)
Wilson of Sharrow one each cinnamon, spearment plus and menthol plus
Abraxas cafť 11 and premium fin
De Kralingse chocosnuff Virginia and latakia AO 1860

Iíve tried the cafť 11 in the bullet. It was really nice. Like coffee candy or something. Lasted a really long time, and was very easy to take. Also just tried the spearmint. Itís a high quality snuff for sure. The mint is nice as it fades away. The nic was a good shot. Not a lot but enough to feel it. the menthol in it is nice, it kind of wakes you up and makes you feel refreshed. I think Iíll try the latakia today and check it out. I like this whole snuff thing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 am

somedumbjerk wrote:
...the menthol in it is nice, it kind of wakes you up and makes you feel refreshed.

Sometimes when I wake up with a stuffy nose I like to take a pinch of menthol right before getting in the shower. Clears the sinuses right out, after blowing some horrible brown snot rockets against the wall. I'm a bachelor; we get to do stuff like that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:55 am

George Kaplan wrote:
somedumbjerk wrote:
...the menthol in it is nice, it kind of wakes you up and makes you feel refreshed.

Sometimes when I wake up with a stuffy nose I like to take a pinch of menthol right before getting in the shower. Clears the sinuses right out, after blowing some horrible brown snot rockets against the wall. I'm a bachelor; we get to do stuff like that. Very Happy

In the shower, not on the bathroom wall, right? Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:04 am

gravel wrote:
In the shower, not on the bathroom wall, right? Suspect

Umm.........yeaahhh....
Yeah, that's what I do... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm

that menthol plus was crazy! it was like the first time trying to take a shot of whiskey. i might back off of that one for a while and come back to it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 pm

somedumbjerk wrote:
that menthol plus was crazy! it was like the first time trying to take a shot of whiskey. i might back off of that one for a while and come back to it...

This is actually what I was going to suggest...

I think so much of the snuff thing, is what you start out on. I think my first was a "Scotch" snuff made by Wilson's (?) it was horrid! I was not prepared. Not so much the amount of nic, but just the sensation in general. To me, heavy menthol snuffs aren't the best place to start.

Try French Carotte if you can.

I'm sure GK could recommend a few others
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 pm

just tried the Abraxas Premium Fin. it's very nice. like a fruity, chocolate coffee dessert. not an all day thing i don't think. really nice with a cup of coffee though. i think i'll give the cinnamon a go next. and please, suggest away! i'm hoping to have a nice paycheck here soon and be able to put in a snuff order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 pm

So is Mr. Snuff the only online source for snuff nowadays?

This thread has peaked my interest in trying a couple beginner snuffs. I did enjoy the Gawith Apricot quite a bit. Maybe I just need some weak sauce as a starter. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

This thread has peaked my interest in trying a couple beginner snuffs. I did enjoy the Gawith Apricot quite a bit. Maybe I just need some weak sauce as a starter. Wink

Mac's in Palo Alto has the silver dollar snuffs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
There's also snuffstore, and you can order directly from Toque. For anyone who hasn't read Kaiser's "noob" thread below, it's a great place to start. Plenty of suggestions in there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Good info. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:35 pm

De Kralingse choco snuff! wow! that is some good stuff. slight burn in a good way and a very rich chocolate taste that i'm loving. it's like dutch cocoa of something. drums&beer, if you're in PA on a weekend or weeknight, hit me up and you can try any of the snuff i have. if you have some little jars or something i can give you a small sampling of what i've got. brewdude was incredibly generous to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 pm

somedumbjerk wrote:
De Kralingse choco snuff! wow! that is some good stuff. slight burn in a good way and a very rich chocolate taste that i'm loving. it's like dutch cocoa of something. drums&beer, if you're in PA on a weekend or weeknight, hit me up and you can try any of the snuff i have. if you have some little jars or something i can give you a small sampling of what i've got. brewdude was incredibly generous to me.

Awesome, thanks for the offer. Hopefully I can make it down that way soon. I be happy to reciprocate as
I just placed a snuff order on Mr. Snuff. I have no idea what I just purchased but I stuck with one I tried a log while ago and others that I have heard of. Royal Air Mail was really reasonable too.

Here's what I ordered

F&T French Carotte 25g (Shane's Suggestion)
F&T Morlaix 25g (Kaiser's suggestion)
Poschl Gawith Apricot 10g - This is one I tried a long while ago and enjoyed. Slightly mentholated if I remember right
WOS - Crumbs of Comfort 10g

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:39 am

Hey drums and beer, what did you think of those two f&t snuffs you mentioned above. I'm curious about them and would love to hear your opinion as you're a newer snuff guy and I'm considering becoming one. How strong are they?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Morlaix is awesome
CoC is a darn good snuff too.
I haven't gotten around the the French Carotte yet, but have heard good things. I'll open some when I get home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:04 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Hey drums and beer, what did you think of those two f&t snuffs you mentioned above. I'm curious about them and would love to hear your opinion as you're a newer snuff guy and I'm considering becoming one. How strong are they?

They are both great. Be forewarned however Morlaix is very perfumey, to the point of being an acquired taste. I like Morlaix quite a bit, but it's not an every day kind of snuff for me.

French Carotte is also on the perfumey side but the overall flavor profile is less flowery than Morlaix, presenting more of a mid range citrus blossom/spice/honey & wood kind of scent. FC is gentle as is Morlaix. Both will burn if you get them into the back of your throat, but that's the case with most snuffs. Both scents are strong side, but nicotine IMHO is not especially after venturing forth into the Fubars & Vikings, and various toasts of the snuff world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks d&b, that's just what I was looking for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Thanks d&b, that's just what I was looking for.

You bet.

Of the handful of orders I have placed and from samples that have been given to me, my favorites so far are

Poschl Gawith Apricot - Not at all like S Gawith Apricot. This one is dried apricot and strong menthol. My all time fav.
F&T - French Carotte
Toque Honey & Whiskey
Toque Natural Toast
Wilson's Ice Licorice
Wilson's Crumbs of Comfort
Viking Dark

Happy Snuff Hunting! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greasemunki85

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:30 pm

I just starting my snuff hobby yesterday as well. I went to a Tinderbox, and found some silverdollar Spearmint. It was all they had, so I tried it, and figured out I liked it, and put in an order on Mister Snuff.
1 x Rockit Fuel Mint Tin 5g (for the wife)
1 x Poschl Schmalzler SF Sudfrucht 25g (banana Bomb..heard this stuff was really good and quiet moist)
1 x Tiger Cola 10g
1 x Toque Blueberry 10g (really looking forward to this)

hopefully it will get here soon, and ill post something or a video update.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:05 pm

I too just tried snuff for the first time today, thanks to this thread! Twisted Evil

I picked up Silverdollar cherry and wintergreen from my local B&M, and I am in love. The wintergreen cleared my sinuses ENTIRELY out. The cherry leaves a very nice smell in my nose and taste in my mouth.

I'll have to get some things from Mr.Snuff next paycheck for sure. Any suggestions gents?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: First time snuffing   Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Draagha wrote:
Any suggestions gents?

Lots of spot on suggestions in Kaiser's thread - http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t18200-my-snuff-stash-retitled-thread

Dependent upon what flavors you enjoy, if I were to make my first big purchase all over again, and considering the time it takes a Mr. Snuff order to arrive, I would start with a handful of the classics like McCrystal's Original & Genuine or WoS Crumbs of Comfort, both of these are great but I love mentholated snuffs, albeit Crumbs is spearmint rather than menthol. My two favorite mentholated snuffs are Poschl Gawith Apricot & WoS Ice Licorice. With Poschl if you like the menthol but don't care for the apricot their Ozona Presidente is nice.

I would also grab at least one or two toasts. Lot's of folks recommend F&T High Dry Toast, but I prefer Toque Natural. For a flavored snuff that's on the dry side Toque Honey & Whiskey is awesome but does require careful application. I love latakia and found Viking Dark to be flat out amazing. Anyway I could rattle off a bunch - F&T French Carotte, Toque Lime Toast, WoS Rose of Sharrow, Abraxas Cafe 11... There are so many flavors, some are wild, some are great and some out there are just nasty but a great snuff is an amazing thing and can be quite invigorating.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

First time snuffing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next