HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Did these adverts work on you?
Yes, I now want to try St Bruno
47%
 47% [ 9 ]
No, these ads are painful!
16%
 16% [ 3 ]
Yes, but now I want a St. Bernard
37%
 37% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Please view all three adverts, then decide if they have made you any more likely to try St Bruno Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I'll always want to have some St Bruno around. Maybe you should try some of the 'condor moment' ads, they were a bit more clever
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:29 pm

They do it for me! sunny

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm

I love the condor ads, but I couldn't find many of them. I remember the submarine one with great fondness! Plus I thought these were a little bizarre. Like what on earth was supposed to be going on in the ski one? Is he stealing that guys woman? Why is his pipe drilled so badly off centre, was that by design? So many questions...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:02 pm

St. Bernard pups need diapers for their muzzles. Laughing :droolmachines:

I have never seen a pipe tele-advert until now. cheers

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm kinda digging the music in the first one. pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Don't be distracted as its not St Bruno, but this is probably my favourite advert of all time. I remember this influencing me when I was little; but I never could find a store that sold anything radio controlled with explosive munitions. Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Clever ad!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 pm

These are effing brilliant, keep 'em comin', lads. lol! The mocked stereotypes and cartoonish microplots and conclusions are hilarious.

Most of these are telling me that pipe smoking has always been kind of a "solo relaxation sport" and it's the graceful challenge of keeping it that way. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Greyson wrote:
Don't be distracted as its not St Bruno, but this is probably my favourite advert of all time. I remember this influencing me when I was little; but I never could find a store that sold anything radio controlled with explosive munitions.

Wonderful find, Greyson!

I forwarded this to my Dad, a fellow pipe smoker & RC enthusiast, and he loved it too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

I see we are in danger of losing the tobacco campaign to the St. Bernard faction... time for a few more ads!

First a couple of classics from B&H

This one is pretty cringeworthy, but it makes me laugh for sheer transparency... you were in trouble for smoking a pipe, but now she knows its Benson & Hedges there's probably sex in the offering! That's how the world works I'm told.

I also found one American pipe Ad, I don't know the guy, but I'm guessing he was a celebrity coach of some kind

An entry from Gold Block:

It was the 80s, it didn't have to make sense.

an unusual and nice Stanwell ad

Finally... I don't know what this is. A three and a half min Mac Baren music video?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 pm

I don't think I've ever seen the dictator one before. I always thought the golf club/gold block was v funny, and just liked seeing Penelope Keith in the b&h bridge party.

there is also this one:
Back to top Go down
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Wow, there have been very few posts, if any, that I have enjoyed more than this one. Just good stuff here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Just saw these. Really interesting. I'd never seen a pipe tobacco commercial before. Remember tons of ciggie commercials in the 60s but never one for pipers.

Recognized that one very stereotypically English gent in the Gold Block ad as the Major in Fawlty Towers.

Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:57 pm

The Gold Block was my favorite. I love the way he switches to a massive pipe once he sees the brand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Most of these ads make me want to stop smoking a pipe...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 pm

These adds are great. Love the rescue dogs dropping off the St. Bruno. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Geez, from Wet Dottle to wet blanket. No Laughing Why do they bother you? Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Geez, from Wet Dottle to wet blanket. No Laughing Why do they bother you? Laughing

Cool
Wet blanket?! I like that. It shall be my moniker in the next forum I register in. Very Happy

Most of these ads present the pipe smoker as a caricatural character, a bit clumsy and somewhat daft. Maybe I am that, but I don't like to be called on it. Smile The ads with the girls are the worse: ridiculous and a bit insulting both for the pipe smoker and the girls. Now, I realize that they are comical, even a bit entertaining to watch, and that they were produced in the 70's (or thereabouts), but my comments are from the point of view of a target audience for which the products are being promoted to. Maybe I have a broom stick up you know where, but I hope companies targeting my disposable income do it a bit more smartly that that.

I sure do miss St. Bruno (the flake) and the B&H Mellow Virginia. I never needed no TV ads to buy those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm

I don't think those commercials have truly targeted anyone since the Carter administration. Laughing I wouldn't get too personally sore about it. Razz From the viewpoint of a person likely as old (or younger) than the commercials, the represent a quaint period of the unknown where obviously little has changed except how we arrange and present our dead cells, the color scheme, and the sets and backgrounds.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Sorry to "hijack" the thread, but they need to copy this old John West Salmon commercial. Just put a pipe in the bears mouth and make it about tobacco.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 am

Growley wrote:
The Gold Block was my favorite. I love the way he switches to a massive pipe once he sees the brand.

It's my favorite as well! Too funny. I actually did that to a friend once, of course he is familiar with the add. I think he had some Bohemian Scandal instead of Gold Block...

This thread has to be one of the best ever. I've seen a few of these before but all of them make me want to smoke!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:34 am

s.ireland wrote:

This thread has to be one of the best ever. I've seen a few of these before but all of them make me want to smoke!
And just think, we haven't touched on print ads yet!
Back to top Go down
Slartibartfast

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test   Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:26 pm

John West Salmon...what a classic! Thanks for that. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Can vintage ads still work? St Bruno test
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1