HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Windows update

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Windows update   Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Last night the power went out.
I went to shut down the computer and
when I hit "shut down," it started installing
Windows updates. The screen says "Do not
shut down or power off your computer."
It installed 15 updates and some of em
seemed to take forever. What wouldda
happened if my UPS ran out while these
updates were installing?
I got lucky; they
all installed and the machine shut down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Laptops have a built-in UPS called a battery, and provided it works/isn't dying, I don't worry too much about random shut-down takeovers courtesy Microsoft.

Still irritating, though. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:56 pm

You can chang the up date settings to only update when you prompt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

i.keenum wrote:
You can chang the up date settings to only update when you prompt.

What a novel idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Not that I don't trust Microsoft implicitly (or is that explicitly?) I have windows update set to tell me but not install. Not that having it set that way would help in a loss of power situation..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Hermit wrote:
What wouldda happened if my UPS ran out while these updates were installing?

If it's a Mac you get this prompt:

If it's a Windoze machine you get this:

puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 pm

I had a post for you puff diggly but I really don't feel like putting up with your wormy apple crap tonight..

END USER ERROR.. as already pointed out either DON"T elect to turn on automatic updates or go in and TURN IT OFF if it bothers the user.

AND for the record Mac, Ipod, Iphone all tell you 'DO NOT TURN OFF blah blah blah"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:37 pm

puros_bran wrote:
I had a post for you puff diggly but I really don't feel like putting up with your wormy apple crap tonight..

It was a joke, sour puss.

PB sees everything Apple as:

tongue

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm

5 X Microsoft = 5 Crashes in 5 years. Data un-recoverable.

1 X Mac = not one glitch in three years' time.

No-Brainer. Twisted Evil

What a Face
JUDGE THE TREE BY ITS FRUIT
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah, with yak on your side your credibility is secured.

Yak I have a 7 year old windows box that has never even burped. A three year old and a two year old ditto.
I haven't had a crash since that hideous Windows ME carp back in 2000. Anecdotal evidence is just anecdotal evidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

How's come the anecdotes all happened to me and not to you ? scratch

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Linux machine: homebrew/hobby racer and driver.

Windows machine: professional American stock car driver.

Apple/Mac machine: Mom driving a pricey, reliable rig with nice packaging.

They're just different. Get what suits you.

Also, learn to use your machine.

If that doesn't work (because problems arise)

...then get a Mac. And pay the privilege. The "get a Mac" answer is stupid elitism, and again, for people who couldn't figure out how to use other technology. Yes, if you're an Internets browser, picture-sharer and a home movie/family band kind of tech junkie, Macs are great. There's programs that just happen not to run on Macs that are necessary for certain jobs besides the approval of your friends at Starbucks. Linux has issues because it's uncool, has a learning curve AND has hiccups with certain software (but after tinkering with it for a day you might get it to work).

I'm not a Microsoft whore, I don't really care, but it's really about why you use a computer and how it's used. After almost a decade in tech/networking, cockpit error is 85% the problem. Which is why I don't work tech anymore: I like fixing things, but people are a different challenge.

It's the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate of our era.

Cool

Last edited by Kyle Weiss on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Yak, They don't. I was just making the point that although what you are saying is true its not universally true.

And to elaborate as far as I can remember I've never said Apple products were junk.
I do however realize that the person that spends the extra money on apple product must buy into the marketing hype and convince themselves and others that all other products are junk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Computer skillz level = 0.013

Computer use : surfing, document-writing/saving, e-mail, board posting, pictures saving (artifacts).

Crashes : out of the blue. Malware infection despite anti-virus ? Defective components ? No idea. Don't really care. Going by the number of bugs @ work (all Microsoft stuff), probably Microsoft.

Never said anything about the Mac except that it's been a battleship with capacities I'll never remotely figure out how to use.

No ad hype or "image" was involved in buying it. Sheer disgust @ Microstink was.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Microsoft hating has sold just as many Apple products as Apple-loving has sold Apple products. Kind of like voting for or against a person in the Politicircus. I'm pretty sure Apple execs don't care either way, they've made a good-enough product. Ethics, progress and process aside.

Everyone that has a need for technology finds their least-of-all-evils, I suspect, whatever works for them. Modern life adaptation in a nutshell.

Sure beats command-line UNIX, at least in my version of the universe. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Quote :
It's the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate of our era.

More like 1980 Ford vs. Honda in my experience.

Ford = Fix or replace daily.

Honda = hit 348,000 miles before the frame rusted out due to ill-advised aftermarket "restproofing."

Only repair was a pin wore through that connected the gear shit to the transmission.

Last I heard, the engine's still running a go-cart.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Nah. All of 'em work until someone breaks them when they're on equal footing (which, they are).

Digitally speaking, people throw diesel in a gas engine and blame the car. Make proprietary gas pump spigots where you can't screw that up (and charge more for it), and you have Apple.

My "crappy" Dell laptops get replaced about once every six years...and I've only owned three.

It ain't the ship, it's the captain (of metaphors and/or similes) Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Manure.

In this case, at least.

The Microstinkers just died on me for no apparent reason.

I suspect because the warranty covered the first 100,000 miles, and they'd hit 100,001.

Same captain, same use. Different computers.

I don't know why that MIGHT be or SHOULD be or whether my experience is "statistically significant."

But I know what happened.

What a Face

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Oh, they're different. No doubting that. The quality is the same, generally-speaking, give or take a model-vs-Mac.

One is on rails, the other can go where the first cannot. You cannot make a Mac compatible--you can make a Windows/Linux machine compatible. Which is why it's still in use.

Macs are daily drivers. Everything else is customizable, sometimes to a fault.

The machine isn't to blame, the software might be, though. For the few extra tricks required to keep the cost down, the flexibility is the difference. Like your Mac? Cool. You're the kind of person that should have one. That's a good thing.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:10 pm

If it ran Microsoft(-like) programs I could probably figure out how to do all the stuff with it I can't due to extreme technological retardation. Capacity use is probably 0.000000001 %

Apple intuitive factor = 0

But it doesn't crash and burn.

I'm gonna stop now in case I'm jinxing it.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Apple operating systems reject Microsoft programming (and many others). They keep their programming language under tight wraps, which is why they don't usually get viruses...like I said, sometimes the alternative is customizable to a fault.

Everyone likes the thing that works for them, and will the thing that fails. Knowing the why in either case is a matter of interest. Sometimes I think people are the same way, but that's a bit more complicated. (but interesting)

So, stick with what you like/know/will work. That's why I don't like the Tech Caste System people generate--it's irrelevant. Families don't often drive Peterbuilt trucks to soccer practice, PeeB doesn't tow a 53-footer with a Prius.

It ain't luck or magic.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 pm

It's all Unix based and WebKit browser... It's as easy to jack as the rest. The reason it's not is strictly a numbers game... How many fortune 500 are mac base? How many servers are mac?
What's apple's market share minus the iPhone and iPad ?

Speaking of iPhone iPad.. With few exception an exploit has been offered for public consumption before release of the latest firmware..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

From a guy whose first production software was done using punch cards (am I that old?):

It doesn't matter. Just use what you have on hand (often it is not your choice, anyway) and make the most out of it. MS-DOS was great (my first was a Zenith with 64 kB of RAM). So was command line Unix (my first was a Zeus workstation). Windows Vista excluded, I am an operating system slut. My desktops are Windows and my laptops are Apple. I am happy with both. As far as crashes go, I can say that they all crash sometimes, it's just part of life. And don't tell me that Apple crashes less than Windows: it all depends on what you are doing with the machines. In all these years, the only severe crashes I had were due to hardware and were independent of operating system. Sure, I like some more than others, but I'm married to none.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Windows 8 a 'giant sadness' says gaming boss

Microsoft's Windows 8 was like a "giant sadness", Gabe Newell, chief executive of gaming company Valve, has said.

Newell, whose company is known for the Half-Life game series and runs the Steam games store, said Windows 8, the new Microsoft operating system, was "unusable".

"Windows 8 was like this giant sadness. It just hurts everybody in the PC business," Newell told The Verge. "Rather than everybody being all excited to go buy a new PC, buying new software to run on it, we’ve had a 20-plus per cent decline in PC sales."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/9791595/Windows-8-a-giant-sadness-says-gaming-boss.html

What a Face
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Ya windows 8 seems like a big dumb for everyone.

I'm with Kyle almost all computer problems are caused by the user. I work at a IT help desk and it makes me wonder why people are given work computers when they will ask where the start button is. I was giving a guy a password that had the number 1 in it and he asked me if it was a lower case or upper case 1. Evil or Very Mad

Ughh after this job I will never want to work in IT again lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com

Windows update
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next