HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JoeCool

Registration date : 2013-01-03

PostSubject: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Just received my order. The new Larocca pipe smokes great but the tin of Dans Sweet Vanilla/Honeydew is less to be desired for. Maybe it's just me and my tast buds! I much prefer the Frog Mortons On the Bayou over this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm not familiar with that one, but thanks for the heads up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah - that blend is not for everyone. My advise would be to put it away for a while and come back to it a year or two later. Often our tastes change over time, and this is even more true when starting out.

OTOH - if you're quite certain you don't (and won't) like this one you can always offer it up for trade in the proper forum section once you've fulfilled the 30/30 requirement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HCraven

Registration date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Vanilla and I historically don't get along. The only one I've found that I like is Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, though I haven't tried the Dan Pipe mixture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nogbert

Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 am

Dans sweet vanilla honeydew is (correct me if im wrong) a straight virginia aromatic.

for me it tends to smoke pretty hot if im not carefull, but really delivers on the tobacco flavor with just a little top note.

overall i like it, but it isnt exactly noob friendly. i would come back to it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeCool

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Yeah your right. I noticed the tongue bite right away and it was pretty strong for me and did smoke hot through the new pipe. Maybe I'll try to smoke it through my church warden so the smoke has a chance to cool a bit beofre it hits my mouth or maybe it was the new pipe. Hell I dont know. It got great reviews as a great aromatic though. the latakia that Frog Morton uses is great for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 pm

JoeCool wrote:
Just received my order. The new Larocca pipe smokes great but the tin of Dans Sweet Vanilla/Honeydew is less to be desired for. Maybe it's just me and my tast buds! I much prefer the Frog Mortons On the Bayou over this.

I bought a pound of Sweet Vanilla Honeydew a few years ago. I found that if I packed it loose it would chomp the tongue right out of my head! When allowed to dry, it was much worse. Packed tight enough and smoked slow...it's good stuff for when the sweet tooth acts up. If it's the taste you don't like...jar it and try it again in a year. Mine has aged well and is much better now than when I first got it. Scoring that pound was a bit of luck. Pipes and cigars bought too much of it and sold it off for $29.00 a pound!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeCool

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Thats a killer price. I bought the small 50 gram tin and it was like 15 bucks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woodLeavesNfire

Registration date : 2012-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm

SVH is a bright virginia blend as opposed to the more prevalent dark and red viginia tobacos. The tobacco is lemon in color. It is a straight virginia tobacco with a light topping, as such, it tasts more like a virginia tobacco then a typical aromatic. I find similarities to dunhill but only enough of a similarity in that they are both bright virginia tobaccos. My experience with pipe smoking in general, is that if you are smoking one type of tobacco, say english blends and then explore a new type of tobacco, it will take a few bowls to get used to it.
That's what happened to me when I first tried SVH. I was smoking aromatics at the time and tried SVH based on a recomendation. I had to jar it up and put it away. After getting into several virginia blends I later came back to SVH and what a wonderful suprise it was!
Agree with all of the above, jar it up and revisit it at alater time.
Eyal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 pm

I've accumulated a 100 pound cellar without a single tin of aromatic. I do like cased Va's though, and a few Lakeland scented tobaccos as well, so I thought it was time to re-examine the aromatic problem. I ordered a tin of this about a month ago, looking to try it with an open mind. I do think Dan excels at cased Va's, so it follows that they'd make a good aro too. I thought I might try a tin of Milonga and of Blue Note as well, just to answer once and for all if I disliked aros, or if they deserved a little cellar space at my house. My biggest problem is deciding which pipe to taint Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woodLeavesNfire

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 am

That's a fair amount of tobacco. How long did it take you to acumulate 100lb? I have started buying 2+ tins for every one I smoke, thus farI have not had the opportunity to smoke aged tobacco nor would I think I would be able to dicern a differnce but there is definately satisfaction with collecting tins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:34 am

woodLeavesNfire wrote:

That's a fair amount of tobacco. How long did it take you to acumulate 100lb?

2 years. The FDA threat scared me into action in early 2012, and I sunk a lot of the money I make from an internet side venture into tobacco throughout the year. Timing turned out to be good, as Samuel Gawith tobacco was readily available all year. FVF and BBF are my favorites and I loaded up in a big way. I might have had 25 pounds at the beginning of 2012, so I did my best at analyzing what I like and made a tobacco roadmap to follow for building my cellar based on my usage preferences. I have a few pounds left to fill some holes for variety, but I did a good job putting it together considering how quickly I acted.

FDA regulation isn't an if, it's a when. I was determined not to get caught with my pants down and bought while prices were low and tax free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woodLeavesNfire

PostSubject: Re: Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew   Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 am

FDA regulation isn't an if, it's a when.

I don't like the sound of that. I cannot imagine-nor do I want to imagine the prospects of paying close to what others pay in some countries. I"m originally from Australia. A tin is 30-50 bucks. That is ridiculous.
America the land of the free, where small goverment and large corporations have benefited the consumer with easy access and cheap prices on everything and anything. I hope that's not going to all change.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dans sweet Vanilla/Honeydew
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1