HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Enough with the winter.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm

monbla256 wrote:
CHANGE, it's the ONLY constant in the world, and the one that's hardest for a lot of folks to deal with!

I believe so too. It must be a very basically human thing - people invent stuff, and the stuff people invent changes the everyday-world we live in, the change spreading slowly but surely everywhere. We are socio-technological animals, which breeds constant change. Some things change fast, some things slowly, some we claim won't change, well that's possible, but from this miniscule window we look at the world it requires quite the wild assumptions to claim that WE KNOW that this-and-this thing is immune to change. It might be. Or it might not be, the "unchanging" being something almost but not quite it, or even something completely else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 pm

A happy woman is a beautiful woman.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 pm

What a Face wrote:
Social lubricants, you could call them, that smooth out unknown, potential discords.

And so we glide effortlessly past other people, thoroughly and comfortably lubricated, until we reach the comfort of our homes, where we cry: Oh! Nothing feels real! All my life I have felt I lived among mannequin dolls. The world of humans is a prison, a circus act. I feel no attachment to anyone, it's all oiled teflon with nothing to grasp, or to grasp me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:13 pm

Men feel that they are more logical than emotional, and that overall women are more emotional. Women do things that befuddle men whereas the actions of men, even if undesirable, are much more easily understood by women. The millennia reign of patriarchy has only loosened in in the last 50 years. Sadly, during its reign not only the power but the efficacy of women was seriously curtailed. Whatever it is that men value most is unknown, but a women is usually most concerned with her children. She is devoted to them and her happiness is measured by theirs. Unfortunately, men have taken advantage of the maternal instinct and fashioned from it a cult of domesticity. "We will go out into the world while you tend the home. We are capable; you are the householder." If the boundaries of affection and interdependence ever enlarge beyond the family to the community, it will be women who will push them to be so. Women are more knowledgeable about its needs while men want to organize it and profit from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:46 pm

It's been pretty mild here in Niagara (ensconced between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie). Luckily we had some cold weather in December. I say luckily because I am surrounded by wineries and most have substantial ice wine crops, and under our rules you have to have sustained temperatures for a period of time at -8 C or colder in order for the wine to be legally labelled "ice wine", and for most of my neighbours it was cold enough to complete their harvests. Been crazy warm here since the end of December though. I won't be selling the snow plow quite yet however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Quote :
Unfortunately, men have taken advantage of the maternal instinct

And women have never taken advantage of that other one in men . . . Evil or Very Mad

What a Face
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Dang! The last time I checked in here, this thread was about the weather in Finland. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Serious wind chill here tonight...

-42 C

Our dogs aren't happy...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:57 pm

Perfect Louisiana winter night here. 53 degrees and a clear night with little to no wind. Absolutely beautiful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Freezing fog. Come on fog what are you doing? Four days straight!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:34 pm

>>a woman truly laughing, fully comfortable and at ease, is one of the most beautiful things ever<<

The movie Carnage with Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet has a hilarious scene in which the girls turn the tables on the boys (Christoph Waltz and John Reilly (?) and just crack up. Worth watching, for a take on gender wars, which is what the movie is about. Both of the female leads have scenes in which they absolutely, spectacularly lose it.

-- Gender and work. Work styles and preferences are actually a function of personality. (Is the scial aspect of work important to you? Or not? Do you like to work independently? Or in a team?) The thing is, work styles aren't evenly distributed through the population. So women and men tend to gravitate toward certain kinds of jobs. It doesn't mean that a guy couldn't teach first graders or that a woman couldn't be a down and dirty prosecuting atty. But you won't find many guys in first grade classrooms etcetrc.)

-- And it's been a weird winter here in New England. My snow plow guy has only been here three times, but next week the jet stream will bring temps in the teens and some snow our way. Some areas might see zero at night. But where I live, the days are now getting about a minute longer, so I'm looking forward to beer and a burger on the deck asap. Oh, yes, a veggie, too Wink

Last edited by KevinM on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Yep. I'm ready to be done with Winter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
beetlejazz

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:55 am

Ok, back to the biznz:

I improvised this one, but luckily started making notes at some point because I will still probably want to make this one a pair. Luckily the yarn is still sold. It's 100% Icelandic wool.

Worked really well! As I had my fingers comfortably cradled between the pipe and the mitten, there was no cold fingers. The day is considerably warmer though, but I still can tell it's a big dfference. I will make one for the left hand too for more comfortable pipe/czech tool handling.

All in all, a success! cheers Thank you guys for good ideas. I would gladly share the pattern, but as it was made for my hand, it would be probably way too small for any of you. Razz

(Oh, and the stannie was loaded with Solani ABF. Yum!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Check these guys out !

http://rt.com/news/winter-snow-russia-weather-275/

What a Face
Back to top Go down
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Looks warm but affording a tenuous grip on your briar. Look for a pair of neoprene gloves and snip off the finger tips on thumb and forefinger. You can buy such gloves at a fly fishing shop, but they're expensive (high class specialty item, you know Rolling Eyes ). I think mine cost $2.99 @ Harbor Freight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 am

Yak wrote:
Check these guys out !

What a Face

I saw scenes (at first hand) just like those in ALTOONA back in the early 90's. Hope we're not going back to that stuff. This morning's +7 F is quite enough w/o snow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:21 am

Kevin, actually the grip is good enough for me. I will be keeping my eyes open for a budget-friendly par of neoprene gloves anyway (I could do a pair or two, for different purposes) but I'm pretty happy with this one for pipe smoking as it still keeps the fingers that are "in the open" warm on the other side.

But right now? It isn't even cold but I'm smoking inside. This is heavenly. I figured every now and then wouldn't hurt too much. Hope you guys are happy. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the winter.   Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 am

Yak wrote:
Check these guys out !

Russia! So unrivalled in the arts, yet who can survive her! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Enough with the winter.