HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe bowl scale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
serif365

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Pipe bowl scale   Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:40 pm

I've noticed several of you seasoned pipers use terms descriptive of the size of a pipe's bowl (equating the amount of tobacco a particular pipe can contain?). Could one of you illuminate me on this scale or direct me to something already published regarding the topic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipe bowl scale   Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kodos44

Registration date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipe bowl scale   Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Great link. Thanks!

Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ragged claws

Registration date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipe bowl scale   Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for the link, DeepBass. Any idea how much tobacco each size will hold?

Kim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe bowl scale   Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Here's a "monkey-wrench" I'll throw into this discussion, Charatan! Twisted Evil They used a numerical group size numbered 1 thru 6 as did Dunhill but their pipes ran about 1/2 to a full size LARGER than the equivalent Dunhill size Twisted Evil So it depends on WHOSE grp sizing you want to use Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipe bowl scale   Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:00 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Here's a "monkey-wrench" I'll throw into this discussion, Charatan! Twisted Evil They used a numerical group size numbered 1 thru 6 as did Dunhill but their pipes ran about 1/2 to a full size LARGER than the equivalent Dunhill size Twisted Evil So it depends on WHOSE grp sizing you want to use Twisted Evil

Eh, who uses Charatan as a measuring stick, other than gents w/B-days today? Haha Razz

But as Monbla refers, there's no die hard truisms. Just know the smaller numbers hold less and the larger more.

I like to work by bowl measurements. If you have one pipe that you know how much it holds, you just have to extrapolate from there to give it a best guess.

General advice is, though, that a Group 4 Dunnie is what most everyone thinks of as an typical average pipe size....not too big, not too small...what I'd use to smoke a lat blend, but not a VA flake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipe bowl scale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: