HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A New Love: Esoterica Kingsbridge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Erica arborea

Registration date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: A New Love: Esoterica Kingsbridge   Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Good morning Bob,

The only tobacco mixtures I've previously purchased in large quantities without previously trying them have been full English mixtures I was confident I would like. After the shop got in a bunch of the cocaine-free Esoterica mixtures (no Stonehaven or Penzance), I revisited some of my old favorites, but curiosity got the best of me with Kingsbridge. The deeper Virginia blends are my favorite, but McClelland has long been my one-and-only favorite manufacturer for such blends (St. James Woods, Blackwoods Flake, Oriental #14). I've never had one from J.F. Germain, so I bit the bullet and purchased an 8oz pack of Kingsbridge (Blackpool is similar, but it has a licorice essence, which I don't care for).

After a few bowls, I can say that Kingsbridge is now one of my favorite Virginia mixtures. It has a solid molasses taste one would expect from a deep Virginia, but it also has notes of figs (or raisins) and vanilla. I don't normally like making evaluations on how easy or difficult to smoke a blend is (unless it's 1792 Flake - curse that deliciously difficult mixture!), but Kingsbridge has an interesting quality in that it has a high temperature-to-flavor threshold, meaning that it seems to keep its flavor even if you're a bit careless with your puffing so you don't have to mind it as much. Ideally, as with all tobacco, you get the best flavor when it is smoking cool.

I am currently smoking it in my Joe Nelson billiard, which is a fairly large pipe for my tastes, but I feel like the tall chamber it has works great with Virginia blends.

I would highly recommend this blend.

Enjoy,
Benjamin Berkeley
Smokers' Haven

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.smokershaven.com
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: A New Love: Esoterica Kingsbridge   Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:55 pm

That's one I've not tried. I did try Blackpool, and have smoked Dorchester and Dunbar, and kind of gave up on Esoterica virginias after that (Dorchester is flavorful but not a bell ringer). I may have to keep an eye out for Kingsbridge, I do like a dark, molasses-type virginia.

Worth trying too is Wessex Campaign Brigade, similar profile but in a flake Wink

Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A New Love: Esoterica Kingsbridge   Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Been thinking about getting some of this in for a while now. I'll definitely give it a whirl next order.

Thanks Benjamin for the reminder.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: A New Love: Esoterica Kingsbridge   Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:12 am

Interesting. Thanks for the post and the review. I enjoy Esoterica's more poplar offerings but I have always been gunshy when it comes to blindly purchasing 8 ounces of unknown. I too love the treacle sweetened VA's they offer. Esoterica is so non descript when it comes giving a would be buyer the right info on their products that the only thing you can do outside of purchasing well known blends from them is just dive in and take a chance. Anyway, I'll give this one a shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A New Love: Esoterica Kingsbridge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1