HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share
 

 Peterson burnthrough! saga ended

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 61
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Last October, I purshased two small Petersons, one a mini-calabash fishtail. I realize that once I smoke a pipe, it becomes mine and my responsibility. Today, about the 8th time I smoked it at most, it suffered a complete burnthrough! After 37+ years of piping, I believe I am a fairly experienced piper, and broke it in (I thought at least) as I have the other pipes I have. After smoking it so few times, I can only conclude there was a flaw somewhere inside the actual bowl (I certainly checked and didn't see any potential problems, but I must have missed one)! I have to say, I expected better from Peterson. This is the second pipe I've had a burnthrough with, but the first was a cheap basket briar and I worried about an irregularity when I bought it, and wasn't really surrpised when it burned through after about 20 bowls.

Nope, not happy right now!




Last edited by DrT999 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
petertschantz

petertschantz

Age : 54
Location : Clover, SC
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 4:14 pm

hate to hear that
Back to top Go down
http://www.petertschantz.com/
kaiser83

kaiser83

Age : 36
Location : Wherever the smoke clears
Registration date : 2012-02-22

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Have to admit, I'd be emailing Peterson direct to inform them of the problem. They probably won't do much for you, but peace of mind is priceless, and people sometimes surprise you. Sorry to hear about your luck brother.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Watch out, guys, apparently the pipe gremlins are mucking about...T, after my meer cracking I'm just as fresh with being pissed about a pipe failure. Neutral Sorry that happened.

Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Age : 44
Location : Fairhope, Al
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Did you try to contact them to see what they'd do? Just wondering how a major producer like that would handle issues that come up.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
Rusty Mouse

Rusty Mouse

Age : 29
Location : Ontario, Canada
Registration date : 2012-01-10

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:18 pm

All I know it that Peterson's warranty is 90 days from date of purchase, it would be covered if it were in that time frame, I think.

Sorry to hear about this, Sir.
Back to top Go down
SpeedyPete



Age : 75
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Maybe you should take it back / return it to the dealer you bought it from. They can or rather, should take it up with Peterson on your behalve. I won't just accept it, not from a company like Peterson.
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 61
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 pm

I did contact the vendor (smokingpipes), and they said to mail it back and if they believe it was defective, i will get store credit. Not sure how they will determine that, but I have nothing to lose (excpet a pipe with a big hole in it). Looking at my records (yeah, I'm complusive), this was actually the fifth time I smoked it, the second time with a full bowl.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Age : 51
Location : England UK
Registration date : 2012-08-30

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Peterson are fantastic with customer care, I would expect nothing less than for smokingpipes to refund or replace, as it is clearly a Briar defect Peterson would replace it without a second thought, hope smokingpipes handle your case professionally.
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Age : 46
Location : Park Hills, MO
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:16 pm

DrT999 wrote:
this was actually the fifth time I smoked it, the second time with a full bowl.

Well heck - there's your problem!



Laughing












lol!

Just Kidding, Dr. T! Store credit should be no problem in a case like this.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Any pictures? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 61
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Any pictures? Rolling Eyes

I'll see if my awful cellphone camera can take a clear enough pic tomorrow
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Guest
Guest



Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:10 pm

Sad

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Jers

Jers

Location : Ireland
Registration date : 2012-07-14

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:54 am

Not a nice thing to have happened. Hopefully you can recover your loss - it sounds like this pipe slipped the QA net at the Peterson factory...

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 61
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 am

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Bad-pipe1_zps9a2448b3
Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Bad-pipe2_zps581acbd7
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Age : 46
Location : Park Hills, MO
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 am

Holy Crap!
That's a hell of a Hole!

Definitely structural failure, not your tobacco choices. Peterson burnthrough! saga ended 710492

lol!



Should be no problem getting credit for that one, Dr. T.
I didn't realize how big the hole actually was. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Slide



Age : 57
Location : Benton, Louisiana
Registration date : 2011-11-23

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:01 am

Incredible!

Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 61
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Holy Crap!
That's a hell of a Hole!

Definitely structural failure, not your tobacco choices. Peterson burnthrough! saga ended 710492

Yeah, Kentucky Club burns hot, but not THAT hot!



Quote :
I didn't realize how big the hole actually was. Shocked


That reminds me of several jokes, but if I acutally posted them the thread would likely be moved to the Rubber Room Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Dutch

Dutch

Age : 54
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 am

That is definitely a flaw in the briar. Those small flake pipes are particularly susceptible to burn out if the briar is flawed, due to the thin walled design. I hope they make it right for you and send a replacement. pale
Back to top Go down
femur

femur

Location : Northeast PA
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 am

I hope they take care of you on that one. They should.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 am

Whoa!
Those pics just escalated this issue from being about a pipe burn through to an actual fire concern. Who knows what could happen if an unsuspecting smoker were to put their pipe down and walk away, with a burn like that occurring...
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 61
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 am

Dutch wrote:
That is definitely a flaw in the briar. Those small flake pipes are particularly susceptible to burn out if the briar is flawed, due to the thin walled design. I hope they make it right for you and send a replacement. pale

I think if I am offered a choice between a replacement and store credit, I'll take the credit and put it towards a nice sturdy Brigham. To bad they don't carry a clay pipe with a vulcanite stem! Bet that wouldn't burn out! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
monbla256

monbla256

Age : 74
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 am

DrT999 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
That is definitely a flaw in the briar. Those small flake pipes are particularly susceptible to burn out if the briar is flawed, due to the thin walled design. I hope they make it right for you and send a replacement. pale

I think if I am offered a choice between a replacement and store credit, I'll take the credit and put it towards a nice sturdy Brigham. To bad they don't carry a clay pipe with a vulcanite stem! Bet that wouldn't burn out! Rolling Eyes

To bad. Seems as if there is one or two imperfections out of thousands of great pipes made by a maker, the norm here on the forums is that ALL products made by a maker are bad. I personally have and smoke about a dozen Pete's and have not had ANY issue with 'em and personally would buy another. If any small production maker had an imperfect pipe would everyone run away and condemn their pipes?, probably, and the percentages for this would be greater for them I'm sure. AAAAH, the world of perfection for UNDER x amt of dollars! I've been involved in some sort of "manufacturing" most of my life and things like this WILL happen in the long scheme of things. What is presented is definately NOT what should be expected, but I would not see it as the "norm" from a specific maker.Guess I'm not as discerning as others Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 10:17 am

That's ghastly ! Shocked

What a Face
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 61
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Peterson burnthrough! saga ended Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peterson burnthrough! saga ended   Peterson burnthrough! saga ended EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 am

monbla256 wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
That is definitely a flaw in the briar. Those small flake pipes are particularly susceptible to burn out if the briar is flawed, due to the thin walled design. I hope they make it right for you and send a replacement. pale

I think if I am offered a choice between a replacement and store credit, I'll take the credit and put it towards a nice sturdy Brigham. To bad they don't carry a clay pipe with a vulcanite stem! Bet that wouldn't burn out! Rolling Eyes

To bad. Seems as if there is one or two imperfections out of thousands of great pipes made by a maker, the norm here on the forums is that ALL products made by a maker are bad. I personally have and smoke about a dozen Pete's and have not had ANY issue with 'em and personally would buy another. If any small production maker had an imperfect pipe would everyone run away and condemn their pipes?, probably, and the percentages for this would be greater for them I'm sure. AAAAH, the world of perfection for UNDER x amt of dollars! I've been involved in some sort of "manufacturing" most of my life and things like this WILL happen in the long scheme of things. What is presented is definately NOT what should be expected, but I would not see it as the "norm" from a specific maker.Guess I'm not as discerning as others Twisted Evil

I am not blaming smokingpipes or even peterson (that much). As for my comments above, they are more directed towards the idea of replacing it with ANY thin-walled briar. If the only offer on the table is a replacement, I'll give it a shot! By the time any offer might be made, I'll be more likely to be willing to have it
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
 
Peterson burnthrough! saga ended
Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: