HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Travel Suggestions ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anasazi6

Registration date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Travel Suggestions ?   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 pm

How about starting a new section for travel (local, national, international, where I've been, where I would like to go someday, etc.). I'm sure there are some out of the way places we would all like to hear about.

DC in Texas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:11 pm

It's not really out of the way, but I love traveling to Amsterdam, and not for "those" reasons. It's just a beautiful place with great people, and also very smoker friendly. I met a girl over there the last time I went, and I was so tempted to stay... I love you
Closer to home, San Francisco is always a favorite destination. Wish I was having some braised string beans from Nanking Kitchen in Chinatown right now!
Unfortunately, not so smoker friendly though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 pm

All I've traveled for pleasure is Most of the major Caribbea Islands, Central America (minus El Salvador.. don't know why, just never made it there) and Mexico. I've been to several other nations and every state but Hawaii for work but never considered that as "Travel" ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 am

Sitting on a small rocky island miles off shore in the southern Sea of Cortez, waiting for a storm to blow over. There was a little shrine built into the rocks with a few old burnt out candles and a weathered painting of the virgin Mary in there, just deep enough to be sheltered from the elements. Some of the old Mexican fishermen would go there from time to time, but it was barely ever set foot on according to our old panga captain. We pulled into a tiny sandy cove on that island for shelter and to get out of the roaring sea, sat there for a good while waiting for the wind to die down. I was smoking a little cigar, sipping warm Pacifico, taking in the solitude and the Hope of Man that the little shrine represented. I don't think there's a finer place on earth, though certainly there are thousand just like it. Remote, silent but for the sea and the birds. All of your focus is your senses of smell (strong briney sea on warm wet wind, and strong tobacco), the sight of the sighing sea, and the thoughts of the remoteness and the generations of simple souls who sat in that very spot before you.

I've been deep into the rockies on horseback to bowhunt elk, up into Alaska, down into remote Mexico. I've also done some regular old touristy stuff, seeing the cities and the museums and the frenetic clattering about of people. That's interesting enough, but nothing beats the remote, isolated, grand places that make you feel so alone and insignificant that you are forced to face your true disposition on this planet.

Or you could come home wearing some mouse ears sewn to a little hat.

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:59 am

Puff Daddy wrote:

God forbid!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:06 am

Places I'd like to visit.

Scotland, Ireland, England, to explore the old ruins of castles and to walk some of those vast hilly areas like Greyson posts in his photo excursions.

I'd like to go to France and Italy to explore like the college kids did back in the 70's, with a backpack and a map and not much else. No touristy hotels or tour buses.

Greece. I'd love to go spend a few months living like a local.

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 am

County Antrim for a few months. Just walking around, interacting with the folks there, resonating with the ancestral character in its home setting. THAT would be neat.

But, ala$ ! Evil or Very Mad

What a Face
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sitting on a small rocky island miles off shore in the southern Sea of Cortez, waiting for a storm to blow over. There was a little shrine built into the rocks with a few old burnt out candles and a weathered painting of the virgin Mary in there, just deep enough to be sheltered from the elements. Some of the old Mexican fishermen would go there from time to time, but it was barely ever set foot on according to our old panga captain. We pulled into a tiny sandy cove on that island for shelter and to get out of the roaring sea, sat there for a good while waiting for the wind to die down. I was smoking a little cigar, sipping warm Pacifico, taking in the solitude and the Hope of Man that the little shrine represented. I don't think there's a finer place on earth, though certainly there are thousand just like it. Remote, silent but for the sea and the birds. All of your focus is your senses of smell (strong briney sea on warm wet wind, and strong tobacco), the sight of the sighing sea, and the thoughts of the remoteness and the generations of simple souls who sat in that very spot before you.

I've been deep into the rockies on horseback to bowhunt elk, up into Alaska, down into remote Mexico. I've also done some regular old touristy stuff, seeing the cities and the museums and the frenetic clattering about of people. That's interesting enough, but nothing beats the remote, isolated, grand places that make you feel so alone and insignificant that you are forced to face your true disposition on this planet.

Fancy talk for he got caught in the rain on a fishing trip and he went hunting.. Californians Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sitting on a small rocky island miles off shore in the southern Sea of Cortez, waiting for a storm to blow over.

Good stuff!
At first, I thought I was reading some Hemingway... study
Makes me want to read more!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Fancy talk for he got caught in the rain on a fishing trip and he went hunting.. Californians Rolling Eyes

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:40 pm

puros_bran wrote:

The Kentucky version of a prosaic hunting story:

Hold my beer Jethro, I'm gonna chuck a rock at that possum.

Nice shot Cooter. He shore looks purty layin dead there up'n against that whisky still. Hardly got no blood on im a'tall.

What'n hell Jethro? You gettin all fancy boy like? I knew lettin you finish third grade was a mistake. Now shudup n hand me that skinnin knife.

tongue

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:
Sitting on a small rocky island miles off shore in the southern Sea of Cortez, waiting for a storm to blow over.

Good stuff!
At first, I thought I was reading some Hemingway... study
Makes me want to read more!
Heh, I thought the same thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 pm

When PeeDee's someplace, he's there. In several dimensions. Not just one.

That's neat !

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Yak wrote:
When PeeDee's someplace, he's there. In several dimensions. Not just one.

Yeah, if I had stumbled upon this scene, I'm pretty sure I would have broken his revery
by asking if he knew a good place to get some tacos...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:17 pm

I know where to get good tacos in every state or province from Skagway to Cabo San Lucas Wink

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
I know where to get good tacos in every state or province from Skagway to Cabo San Lucas Wink

One more reason to hang with you! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:20 pm

You would've started another like:

"Josť's tacos are delicious but will treat you like the running of the bulls in Pamplona. Ah Pamplona, the smell of sweat, booze, and desperation. And running. Those smells and running.... running from Mrs. Frontbottom! Last night was a mistake!" (Curls into a fetal position).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 pm

For years Vienna has been at the top of my to-travel list. Coffee, cake, music, and paintings. Absolutely have to get there!

Of course St. Peterburg as well (for music, art and of course the Raskolnikov-house); and should visit a friend in Stavanger for her company and the beautiful sceneries (and Kaizers Orchestra throws gigs regularly in that area); and I'd wish to have a chance to visit Japan, preferably for a bit longer period to get a better hold of the language (Kyoto perhaps - haven't quite decided yet).

Several places in Finnish lapland, of course. But those will require a bit better physical shape as well. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:40 pm

gravel wrote:
You would've started another like:

"Josť's tacos are delicious but will treat you like the running of the bulls in Pamplona. Ah Pamplona, the smell of sweat, booze, and desperation. And running. Those smells and running.... running from Mrs. Frontbottom! Last night was a mistake!" (Curls into a fetal position).

I like it!
And I'm liking this thread!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:

Hold my beer Jethro, I'm gonna chuck a rock at that possum.

Nice shot Cooter. He shore looks purty layin dead there up'n against that whisky still. Hardly got no blood on im a'tall.

What'n hell Jethro? You gettin all fancy boy like? I knew lettin you finish third grade was a mistake. Now shudup n hand me that skinnin knife.

peedee would have told it as such..

On a recent expedition in the County Meade, a short distance from the majestic Ohio river, I found myself in position to partake in the hunt. Knowing my prey I wisely surrendered my spirits to my loyal guide whom I call Mr J. I had cornered the elusive North American Marsupial close to Mr J's ancient family distillery. The Marsupial flushed on me in a viscious charge. Having no chance to shoulder my weapon I deftly hurled a stone at the fowl beast. It appeared a perfect shot, he fell in his tracks. Upon inspection Mr J commented that there was little blood. Knowing the Marsupial's penchant for pretending to be wounded fatally only to spring upon the unsuspecting hunter I warned him off until he could at least arm himself with a knife. Mr J was so impressed with my knowledge that he commented that I was perhaps more knowledgeable than he and he regretted it as I would begin to doubt needing him on my expiditions. I assured the old chap that I would always keep him in employ........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 pm

cheers cheers cheers

I'm not sure if there is more ash in my coffee or coffee in my cigar after that exchange! I might even need to change my underpants. Laughing

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm

You forgot the part about it being a certified organic, free range possum humanely dispatched with environmentally friendly "Green" methods using only recycled rocks and a skinning knife made by fair trade, legitimately paid foreign labor. The whisky still was solar powered and the moonshine duly labeled in large print so as to not encourage underage drinking. Jethro was made to sign a wage and tip declaration to ensure proper taxation of the payment for his services.

WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Travel Suggestions ?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:53 pm

That's brilliant! Razz

I spent a few weeks in Denmark and Sweden this past May, and I can tell you that it was certainly an adventure.

Strolling the streets, looking at the age of the cobblestone below my feet, I found myself wandering near a soft cloud of smoke with a glorious aroma emanating from it. Intrigued, I sauntered into the small, warmly lit shoppe that the joyous fog was billowing out from. Once inside, I realized I was inside none other than the Danish Pipe Shoppe, chatting with Poul Hansen and his company. After shopping around and enjoying the company of the fine pipe smoking Danes, I left, never to return to the place again. :/

I've gotta go back again soon. I've heard through the grapevine(by which I mean from Poul Hansen) that many of the big Scandinavian pipe makers do in fact frequent the store. I can't miss out on that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Travel Suggestions ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1