HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How should I finish this one?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SaltwaterCowboy

SaltwaterCowboy

Registration date : 2013-01-11

How should I finish this one? Empty
PostSubject: How should I finish this one?   How should I finish this one? EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 7:46 am

I got to carving one of the blocks of briar I received from EA Carey, I'm wondering how I should finish it...

How should I finish this one? Cot2

How should I finish this one? Cot3

I'm not 100% satisfied with the way the shank looks, but I won't complain about my first attempt. Last night this was still just a block of wood.

I'll likely finish rusticating the shank with my wood burner, but I'd like to know what yall think I should do with the top of the bowl before I start hitting this with finer grit sandpaper Cool
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: How should I finish this one?   How should I finish this one? EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 7:49 am

I wouldn't do a thing to the top of the bowl. Looks great to me!
Not so crazy about the stem though...

I'm sure other will chime in with different opinions, but that's how I feel.

Cool

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: How should I finish this one?   How should I finish this one? EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 9:45 am

Not so keen on the 'bump' in the shank prior to the bowl, I'd probably smooth that down a little myself but aside from that it looks like you need to fine sand, wax & buff, looks like a winner to me. Smile
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: How should I finish this one?   How should I finish this one? EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 am

Yeah I definitely agree with the bump, I'd have to say smooth that down to the shank, but beyond that she looks good.
Back to top Go down
bosun1

bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: How should I finish this one?   How should I finish this one? EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:49 pm

I think "we" are in agreement about the bump (g)...unless the draft hole is too close to the surface of course. Stain if you wish, color is up to you. Another option is if left unstained the briar will darken naturally.
Back to top Go down
SaltwaterCowboy

SaltwaterCowboy

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How should I finish this one?   How should I finish this one? EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Yeah I am not wild about the hump... my dremel isn't either Laughing I'll see what I can do, but I've got a block of briar that came looking like this one did and if I can get my paws on a lathe, you can bet it'll look better than this one Wink

Thanks for the input!
Back to top Go down

How should I finish this one?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: