HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TrevorLeMayRambles

Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Hello!

I wanted to start carving my own pipes for enjoyment and leisure. I am new to the forum and don't know where to start other then ordering the blocks of briar. I could probably learn a lot from trial and error however, I would much rather draw from the wisdom and skill of experienced artisan pipe crafters. I have a real heart for learning, I may not be posting this in the right place however, I do think the way to learn is to admit to ones own folly. study Here I request permission to draw wisdom from my elders.

To My Friends,
Trevor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:20 pm

you will learn more from the pipe makers forum than just about anywhere else. I suggest getting a membership on there and reading reading reading. Start with a pre drilled block and have at it, post pictures on the forum and people will help you see how to improve.

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
TrevorLeMayRambles

PostSubject: RE:   Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks ^_^ I will look into it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm

the rev wrote:
you will learn more from the pipe makers forum than just about anywhere else. I suggest getting a membership on there and reading reading reading. Start with a pre drilled block and have at it, post pictures on the forum and people will help you see how to improve.

rev

yeah Rev is right. also watch him, he's making some amazing pipes these days and he's pretty new to it. don't forget us when you're famous, Rev!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:11 pm

In addition to what's already been stated, there are also some nice youtube videos out there these days. Most will demonstrate how to work on a lathe, but probably not as much for just freehand work.

Good luck and enjoy!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks, that is very kind.

But follow the real masters, Rad Davis, Todd Johnson, Tyler Lane and many others. Look at tons of pipes by the best guys, try to figure out what makes them good. But most importantly have fun. We are made in the image of the creator, so when we create... we are truly reflecting that which we are made to be.

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Nothing wrong with getting a starter kit and having fun--experience is a fine teacher.

Pipe Makers' Forum is kind of like going to college when you just need a little help balancing your check book/budget, though they probably will provide the best, if not most extensive, information.

The Rev's pipes are...*sigh*...alright...I guess. Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:00 pm

my latest is a paneled rusticated blowfish, just like you hate bwhahahahahahah, I did it to piss you off

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:16 pm

No, I hated the teardrop travel trailer. Reminded me of home. Laughing

Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Oh get a room you two, blimey. Twisted Evil Laughing I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TrevorLeMayRambles

PostSubject: In light of current advice   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Where do you guys recommend then I buy a precut briar to shape? Very Happy And Amen to that! Creativity is the natural mark of the God given human spirit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Mark Tinksy.

http://www.amsmoke.com/Services/PipeKit.html

Cool

I always forget Mark's site, it's an awesome site too, masses of fantastic information, thanks for the reminder there Kyle. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm

I have (had) three of his kits, one got shipped off to GuitarMyFriend, I carved another, and one still waits in the wind. Mark's beyond awesome, and his briar/stem quality for pre-drilled kits is unrivaled, if you ask me.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm

use tinsky, you can even send him a picture of what you want to do and he will drill it for that

he is super cool

rev
Back to top Go down
TrevorLeMayRambles

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:55 pm

oooooooooooohhhhhh Surprised Those are both great resources!!! Thanks Gentlemen! This community is fast to the punch cheers and comes packed with ample amounts of humor! now to read up on the pipe makers forum study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm

i went to pimo, in retrospect i should've gone with tinksy. i got some of his briar and it's pretty top notch. but i needed to buy a bunch of supplies at once so pimo seemed the best bet. i also bought their book... meh. not really worth it IMHO. good luck, and enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving   Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:19 am

TrevorLeMayRambles wrote:
Where do you guys recommend then I buy a precut briar to shape? Very Happy And Amen to that! Creativity is the natural mark of the God given human spirit!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/vt_freehand/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Where Do I Learn The Art of Pipe Carving
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1