HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Even the seals on our favorite jars are limited in their ability. Since they weren't specifically designed to last indefinitely, or for that matter, for just tobacco to sit static for decades, I'm not sure if they'd last 30+ years or not. About the only method, not available to most, are the tins used for ammunition (which I know for a fact can last in upward of 80 years), maybe it's time someone started making five pound tins of "sardine cans" for tobacco. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Even the seals on our favorite jars are limited in their ability. Since they weren't specifically designed to last indefinitely, or for that matter, for just tobacco to sit static for decades, I'm not sure if they'd last 30+ years or not. About the only method, not available to most, are the tins used for ammunition (which I know for a fact can last in upward of 80 years), maybe it's time someone started making five pound tins of "sardine cans" for tobacco. Laughing

Cool

I would buy it! I'm all about quantity discounts!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slartibartfast

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Even the seals on our favorite jars are limited in their ability. Since they weren't specifically designed to last indefinitely, or for that matter, for just tobacco to sit static for decades, I'm not sure if they'd last 30+ years or not.

Cool

I've been thinking about this. I think they will last a lot longer than you might think. If closed and left alone, other than to test the seal periodically by tightening it if needed, there is no reason it should not last. It's the opening and closing that creates wear on them.

After a few months of the initial jarring I wouldn't think you would even need to check the tension. But I will find out.

I think about a couple things. People in Great Briton that I know that have snuff in excess of 30 years olnd stored in the original Wilson bulk containers. They claim that snuff is just as good as the day they got it. I have no reason to doubt them and many reasons to trust them.

The other is I remember all the home canned goods that we threw out after my Grandmother's death. They were left over from her gardening days. They ended many years before her death. Now I can't attest to the shelf life of the food, as we weren't willing to risk it. But the seals were good...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:54 pm

Good thing we're talking about smokeables and not edibles then right? I think that if you start out with a fresh jar, lid and ring, you'll have a good storage vessel for years to come. I have some 15 year old marinated hot cherry peppers that my Uncle canned in my pantry that I have been meaning to throw out. They're still sealed. If anything the lid will be even more difficult to remove than it would have been the year they were supposed to have been open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:03 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Good thing we're talking about smokeables and not edibles then right?

Exactly!

If I have enough tobacco put back I can trade for fresh food! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Slide wrote:

Exactly!

If I have enough tobacco put back I can trade for fresh food! Laughing

Personally, I am going to move over exclusively to smaller pipes and stronger tobacco.

Slide, I think you already have the second half of the equation covered. Razz

All Ropes, all the time. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Think of the cigar guys. A 200% tax increase brings the cost of an $8.00 Don Pepin Blue with a current tax burden of $2.00 to $12.00--for one smoke. Just estimating what the current tax is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 am

A pound of RYO costs around $16.00 plus tax if it is labeled as pipe tobacco. When the cigarette tobacco tax hit, the tax went from something like $2.69/lb to around 26.00/lb. so a pound would cost around $42.00/lb plus sales tax now. More than a 1000 percent increase in tax. That is why it has all been relabeled. Either that or out of business. Used to buy Bugler as a roll your own. Haven't seen a can of that in years..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaltwaterCowboy

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation   Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:25 am

Gotta love big government, we've already got the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives so they want to double dip and let the FDA have some fun too...

Really starting to get more than pissed off...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Status Pending/New Federal Tobacco Legislation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2