HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PiperCub

Registration date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 pm

i need recomendations on new reads guys
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/tj.runningwolf
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm

Don't Panic.

PiperCub

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 pm

i see what you did there PD
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Smile

PiperCub

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

Check out Patrick Lawhead if you like historical fiction
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:38 pm

I grew up on SciFi. Very Happy The stuff from those days that still lingers in my bookshelf is mainly Stanislaw Lem. Solaris is the best of them, IMHO.

A cool short read is Stefano Benni's Baol. Made me guffaw aloud several times. Actually, if you indeed enjoy HItchhiker's Guide books, you might like this too - it's one step further to the direction of bizarre though. I think it's been translated to English - originally Italian (I've read the Finnish translation).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megaluddite

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm a BIG fan of Hitchikers'. I love the books. But I really think that the best work Douglas Adams ever did was the original BBC radio series, which is available on disk.

I also like the BBC TV version much better than the movie that was released a couple of years ago.
Rolling Eyes
If you like Hitchikers' you might also like Adams' Dirk Gently series, including Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. The are not as good as Hitchikers', but quite entertaining.

Enjoy,
Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
petertschantz

Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:55 pm

David Drake - if you like Military Sci-Fi

Redliners, or any of the Hammer's Slammers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.petertschantz.com/
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:33 pm

I really enjoyed Blindsight by Peter Watts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Stuff by Stanislaw Lem? *shrug* Good readin'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 am

For something older, I'm re-reading James Blish's trilogy "Cities in Flight"..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PiperCub

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am

dune was good
Back to top Go down
Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Dune

Ringworld

Mote in God's Eye

Demolished Man

The Stainless Steel Rat books were good, too

I am also a fan of Heinlein.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 pm

The Mote in God's Eye, probably the finest Sc-Fi novel written!! Was Hienlen's favorite Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 am

Orson Scott Card...Ender's Game and it's many sequels/parallel novels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PiperCub

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:09 pm

thanks for jogging my memory. i haven't read any orson scott in a while
Back to top Go down
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:09 pm

i enjoyed hitchhikers because of the humor more than the scifi part of it. if that's the case read something by christopher moore. Lamb is a good one. unless you are devoutly religious and religous humor really offends you. he also has another book called Practical Demonkeeping that is good. i have yet to read a dud from him though so i'm a little biased. i recently rear slaughterhouse 5 and enjoyed it a bit too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KRG

Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 am

Here are a few authors that I have enjoyed over the years.
Gregory Benford
Sean McMullen
Sarah Zettel
Andre Norton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 am

The Forever War, Almost anything from Peter F Hamilton (perhaps the only book of his I was unimpressed by was Market forces, making executives fight each other to death for jobs... nice idea just a bit dull compared to his other works). If you don't mind going a bit lowbrow / young adult there is a very good star wars trilogy by Timothy Zahn that takes up after the end of return of the Jedi, its quite old now and Lucas lifted a number of his ideas for the prequels (and then utterly ruined them btw). Anyhow, its the Thrawn trilogy, starting with Heir to the Empire. 'Do androids dream of electronic sheep?' is another good one. Neuromancer is classic which was required reading for me at university. Oh Richard Morgan's altered carbon is also really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
old_salt

Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Not sure if they are sophisticated enough for you, but I enjoyed these

stephen r donalson's
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ; 10 books total

Piers Anthony
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnations_of_Immortality
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Professor_Briar

Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Dirigible Pirates and Tales from the Black Hart   Sat May 07, 2016 9:45 am

These are available as ebooks through amazon - feature a number of pipe or cigar smoking characters, really a bit in the Steampunk or Teslapunk genre, but humor in the same vein as Adams and Pratchett.  And yes, my own writing efforts.
https://www.amazon.com/Dirigible-Pirates-Professor-Stanwell-Briar-ebook/dp/B010BVRDHU?ie=UTF8&keywords=the%20dirigible%20pirates&qid=1462628666&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Black-Professor-Stanwell-Briar-ebook/dp/B017FASQ7Q?ie=UTF8&keywords=the%20dirigible%20pirates&qid=1462628666&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:17 pm

The Foundation trilogy by Asimov....
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:05 pm

PiperCub wrote:
i need recomendations on new reads guys

I'm currently reading Terry Pratchett's work, specifically his 41-book Discword series. While it isn't SF, it is fantasy that is right up there with Hitchhiker's Guide. Hadn't heard of him until a colleague at work suggested it. A fun read so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Adam's fan here, look at my sig. Not sure why I never discovered this thread befere. Smile

Gotta second the Pratchett recommendation, all the discworld books are brilliant and hysterically funny, able to be reread many times.

He did do some sci fi, Strata springs to mind.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?   Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:21 pm

David webber's Honor Harrington serises for nuts and bolts sicfi, Anne McCaffrey's pern series for fantisy. Harry Turtledove for aulternate history. Mary Sewart for classic Autherian sword ans sorcery. And of course rereads of old favorites
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hitchhikers Guide or any other Sci Fi guys out there?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: