HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

HELP.. Boxes to canada.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Never mailed one before.. Is there any special forms or anything or do I just slap a address label on it and drop it in the mailbox?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Standard Customs Form was required the last time I shipped anything to Canada, but that's been several years ago when I was still an Ebay Power Seller.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:35 pm

I ship to Canada often, every few months. If you go Priority Mail the rates can be decent. There's a simple customs form to use. It's not too bad. The post office will be able to tell you which one to use.

So far I've never had an issue getting a box to Canada.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:21 am

Customs forms are required. I think it depends on the size of the package as to which form you need. Priority rates are not outrageous, high yes but I've seen worse. If you need the long form its gonna take awhile as they have to enter everything on the form into the computer.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:54 am

On pipes to Canada, I usually write "pipe parts, less than $20 value" to avoid customs cost issues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm

There was a time, a few years back, when I re-used a "priority mail" box to send some pipes to Germany. The local post office lady let it slide, but warned Mrs. Yak that PM boxes were not supposed to be used to foreign countries.

Whether this has changed (or, even whether I have the story straight) or not, I've no idea. But it might be a good idea to check first in case they get scrupulous & you have to re-pack your shipment.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 pm

When I was actively involved in getting and sending pens from and to other collectors all over the world I always did my packages "old school" as they say nowadays, ie, pen in box, return address card inside with pen, tape up box securely, then I wrapped the box with brown kraft paper ( inside out paper bags from the grocery work), tape it with USPS approved clear tape, put and address label on it and filled out the Customs Duenne that I got from the USPS, took it to post office, they checked the Duenne ( customs label) affixed it to package , wieghed package, I paid postage and off it went. I mailed all over the world, Canada included and NEVER had ANY problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:29 pm

thank you Monbla. Thats exactly what I wanted to do... that customs form, I did the USPS.com fill in the blanks and print thing.. I just tape it on the box?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:32 pm

puros_bran wrote:
thank you Monbla. Thats exactly what I wanted to do... that customs form, I did the USPS.com fill in the blanks and print thing.. I just tape it on the box?

The PO usually adheres the customs forms. I print a label (Word document) and tape that on the box.

Monbla: Adding a card inside the package with your return address is an EXCELLENT idea and I will definitely use that for future mailings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BanjoBob

Registration date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: HELP.. Boxes to canada.   Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:03 pm

riff raff wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

The PO usually adheres the customs forms. I print a label (Word document) and tape that on the box.

Monbla: Adding a card inside the package with your return address is an EXCELLENT idea and I will definitely use that for future mailings.

I just joined BoB today and I've been looking around.
I'm in the USA, I AM a powerseller on eBay, and a week never goes by that I don't ship something internationally.
I ship to Canada frequently.
Priority mail is too expensive if it's something inexpensive.
I deal in Pipes, Kleen Reem's, and tobacco pouches.
I ship everything I can 1st class International.
This has no tracking once it leaves the USA so I can't tell if it was ever delivered.
I still ship things 1st class if I've dealt with the buyer before and trust they will let me know when it arrives.
For people I don't know, I also register it for a cost of an extra $11.75.
I print my postage from home, and the custom's form is included on the label.
Registered mail requires brown kraft paper glued tape covering all seams. Besides getting tracking, if it gets lost, italso gives $47.35 coverage. plus postage costs/
The longer customs form is only required on packages valued over $250.00.
David/BanjoBob

Back to top Go down
View user profile

HELP.. Boxes to canada.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1