HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Another smoking hotel isn't

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lesepfeife

Registration date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Another smoking hotel isn't   Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 pm

For the past few years I've been staying at a certain Holiday Inn near where I work most of the time. When I took up pipe smoking about a year ago I started getting a smoking room. Nothing like relaxing in my room with a bowl of week, reading the paper, online forums, email etc. or catching some TV. Toward the end of last year the "Excuse our mess" signs went up for a makeover. I figured at the time what was coming. Sure enough when I checked in a couple weeks ago the axe had fallen and there were no longer any smoking rooms.

The desk clerk that checked me in was very sympathetic. She said that she lobbied management to keep the smoking rooms because they always sold out in the middle of the week. She was telling how she was recently smoking in her car outside her apartment and told by the landlord to put it out because no smoking was allowed on the property. Shocked The next night I talked to one of the other desk clerks and he said that it was because of their ventilation system. When it was working everything was fine but if it was down the smoke from the 2nd floor rooms would make its way to the rooms above and they would have to start moving people around to avoid the smell. Of course I doubt this would have been a problem if it was pipe smoke. The 2nd guy said they considered moving the smoking rooms to the top floor but there was some lame reason for them thinking that wouldn't work. He even said that when the decision was made he thought of me and another guest who is apparently another regular who also took a smoking room.

We talked a bit more about it and when I mentioned that I didn't smoke cigarettes but a pipe he seemed even more sympathetic. This week he put me on the ground floor next to a back exit. I think he's of the mind that this is more convenient for me to go outside and smoke when in reality it just means my tobacco will last a lot longer since I just won't smoke.

I know this is a common theme and there seems like nothing we can do about the rolling tide of governmental and PC encroachment but I knew that at least here I could tell my tale of woe and there would be people who could commiserate. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Another smoking hotel isn't   Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56 pm

It's getting harder and harder to find hotels with smoking rooms unless you want to stay in a run down dive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Another smoking hotel isn't   Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 am

The situation would change with competition in the marketplace. We all need to band together and start a new hotel model. I'd bet my best pipe that "Smoke Inns of America" would be fully booked 24/7. A hotel "chain" for pipe and fine cigar smoking men. We'd have to include a B&M "gift" shop in the lobby with an Indian Chief at the front door.

Our motto: "We don't have any no smoking signs here"

Notice: Surcharge for non activated smoke detectors

Room Service for Beer, Bourbon and Scotch at all times....day and night and of course girls welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Another smoking hotel isn't   Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 pm

This is the continuing high-schoolization of America. The Leadership Class will decide what you can / cannot do. Oh, yes, their reasoms are entirely justifiable anf For Your Own Good, don't you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Another smoking hotel isn't   Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Modern times are anti-smoke. Where the line gets drawn is troubling. What to do about it is a problem for some, but not for me. It won't fix the philosophy, but it doesn't solve anything.

Cigarettes are to blame, and yet they're the lifeline of our hobby and/or pipe lifestyle. There's no way around that, but if we're gonna point fingers...*shrug*. If I stay somewhere besides my home, I get a non-smoking room. I don't smoke in my rooms, because I prefer to smoke outside. Nothing sets the claustrophobia off like a small, generically-decorated cell with an extra-clean toilet. If I'm staying someplace, it means one of two things...work or vacation. If it's work, I have work to do, and downtime is at a minimum. If it's vacation, what the HELL am I doing in a hotel room besides sleeping? Laughing I don't want to smell decades of stale cigarette smoke for 45 minutes of a pipe just because I got a mint on my pillow. I was told by one pipe smoker my being a smoker and not getting a smoking room (and smoking outside) when I'm away from home for work means I'm part of the problem. Interesting, thoughtful perspective. I remain getting non-smoking rooms. I still smoke outside.

Now, everyone is not me. The hotel room might be the pinnacle of their time away from home. I don't know. All I know is this: I'm able-bodied enough to get myself to a place far more comfortable to smoke, maybe even get there via a good stroll, and explore where I am. I love Nevada. live in a state and town that I can escape the urban, "progressive" masses and their petty rules--I will continue to do so: I can't smoke outside one day? Fine. Come find me and arrest me. I'll be 50 miles from the nearest cell reception. Good luck. pirat

We either allowed this to happen or it was inevitable, and there's gonna be victims. Not wanting to be a victim, they can pry my pipe from my cold, dead hands--there's good fodder for the antis. Laughing The jerks. I feel bad for you guys, but I'm keeping myself far from disappointment in that realm, and I'm glad I have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesepfeife

Registration date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Another smoking hotel isn't   Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I don't want to smell decades of stale cigarette smoke for 45 minutes of a pipe just because I got a mint on my pillow. I remain getting non-smoking rooms. I still smoke outside.
As always I appreciate your comments. The first time I got a smoking room I was concerned about just this. However it turned out that the cigarette smell wasn't as pervasive as I have experienced in some places previously where I wanted a non-smoking room and was inadvertently sent to a smoking room. This particular hotel has quite spacious rooms so for me no claustrophobia issues. My hotel stays are almost exclusively for work and are down these days to about every other week instead of every week. My work day is done at 5 and the rest of the evening is mine. My smoking style is to do it while engaged in some other pursuit conducive to sitting and smoking. I only have the evenings and my 3-day weekends to catch up on email and forum reading and I prefer to limit this when I am home in favor of things I can't do while I'm away. Thus my preference to sit in my room and smoke.

Climate plays into this as well. Living and working in the northeast makes it much less enjoyable to go outside to smoke, which I thankfully don't have to do when I'm home either. Not to mention that there's really only one general area where there's a bench and I'd frequently have to share it with cigarette smokers. And it would be hard to sit out there with my laptop and catch up. Granted, I think we both do what we have to in order to accomplish what we want to do and I admit that if smoking my pipe was top priority I guess I'd get my butt out and do it, finding a place that worked for me.

There is another place I might be able to stay that looks like it might be the kind of place that allows smoking but as somebody implied, it might not be the kind of place I'd really want to stay. Since I've stayed in plenty of their non-smoking rooms before taking up the pipe I noticed that even this Holiday Inn seemed to pawn off some of the poorer quality furniture in the smoking rooms. The fact that the smoking rooms were booked full in the middle of the week does give some indication that a chain of decent hotels where smoking is allowed might have a chance of being successful.

I made my OP right after reading through the thread on the pending HHS regulations and new taxes so was especially chagrined at that point. I've gotten to the point where I'm generally discouraged over pretty much everything going on these days and the loss of the smoking rooms was just one more of my pleasures/freedoms being taken away. Thanks guys for listening and participating. I didn't know if there was really much response that could be made and y'all have come through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Another smoking hotel isn't   Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 pm

LIPIPE wrote:
Our motto: "We don't have any no smoking signs here"

cheers

How about "We are the last refuge for the persecuted smoker!"

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Another smoking hotel isn't   Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 pm

What is even sadder, but hardly mentioned, is the state of smokers themselves.

There's a reason why the furniture is crappy in smoking rooms: modern cigarette smokers often couldn't care less if there's an overflowing ashtray, spilling still-lit sticks all over a table/couch arm/cushion's surface. They don't provide those giant "party ash trays" because people steal them, and so, the process kind of eats itself.

Be lucky your nose isn't as sensitive as mine. I can smell cigarette smoke decades old...one of the first places it assaults people: the heat/AC units. It's gross. If one lives in a humid climate, it's even worse.

My whole family is from the Northeast or the South. I'm the only West-born kid. I'm proud, and thankful, to be so. Northern Nevada doesn't see the weather you guys do, but we have constant 40MPH winds, sub-zero temps and while missing the snow, aren't exactly in paradise. Las Vegas is a distant Los Angelean suburb, displaced in a part of the state real Nevadans are oft to criticize. They get cold when the mercury hits anything below 50'F. Laughing Up here, we're a different breed.

I do understand you have your routine for work, not everyone is gifted with the opportunity to work outside as much as I do. Usually I'm covering so much ground in a day I don't have time to smoke, if that makes you feel better... Laughing ...but I do carry a cob and a pinch of tobacco because up over the right ridge, there's a breathtaking view that asks to be enjoyed for a little while. Not to make anyone jealous. Razz As goes the beautiful West, I sit outside my motel room, someplace I can see the horizon, and watch the sun set with a pipe, a drink, and some music to wind down the day...I'm asleep by 9pm or 10pm, work is done, and not too long before daybreak in the summer...when the day begins again.

Overall I wish cigarette companies ran differently. I wish people's attitude toward tobacco were more lenient. I wish hotels would have a place for all, and smokers in general were all respectful and decent. It all starts painting a larger picture of a battle that's far from over, and the pipesters are the innocent victims, as are cigar smokers.

Maybe one day we can smoke in peace, meanwhile, we have to work a little harder to achieve our goals. C'est la vie.

Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Another smoking hotel isn't
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1