HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Enlisting you guys for some help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 am

Ok, so last month our little town officially became a town, it has been listed as a private retirement community for a long time and the roads and public works were privately owned. No shit less than a month and a anti smoking interest group is trying to encourage the city counsel and mayor to enact a complete smoking ban inside any and all businesses. Also no smoking within 15 feet of any door of the business from what I have heard. I don't have any documents of the plans yet, all that has happened is that the anti group had a town hall meeting with the city official.

My local B&M has only open for only a year and he hasn't built up the regulars that will come in chat and loiter, mostly the type that grab and go. I hope for him to have the chance to get the old regulars that chill in his lounge in the back.

The name of the business is Tobacco Hut and the owners name is Ricky Natal. Great guy , great place.

But this is about the rights of us all not just one bussiness.

Here is a link to the city officials contacts, please pass a few words on as to why a complete smoking ban would not be a good thing.
Thanks,
Ian

http://www.diamondhead.ms/Mission.html

Diamondhead Mayor: Chuck Ingraham mayor@diamondhead.ms
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:21 am

It might be futile to combat the ban, but you could ask for exemptions for certain businesses that the ban would hurt such as bars and tobacconists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
joemelon

Registration date : 2012-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:08 am

i.keenum, this is an email I've typed up and am ready to send, but since this issue most affects you I'd figure I'd run it by you first.

Quote :
Mayor Ingraham,

I'm a pipe and cigar smoker of several years and though not from your town I was alerted of a smoking ban movement that is growing within your town. I am from a town and currently reside in the twin city of College Station/Bryan, Texas where a smoking ban was enacted several years ago in one city and not the other that hurt several establishments that have high propensities of smokers who opted to take their business nearby to Bryan where no such ban existed but instead let the free market decide whether a smoking ban was economical.

My hometown has taken a different route, allowing businesses to decide whether a smoking ban is economical or not. The result is that one of our most popular and locally owned restaurants isn't smoke free and is still doing great business after several decades while other areas and businesses remain smoke-free.

That is not to say that the situation either elicits the totality of an entire smoking ban on all businesses or on none but that an exception could be made for businesses where the primary items sold are tobacco products. I have traveled along the Gulf Coast in the past and enjoyed visiting Mississippi and have from personal experience local smoke shops that allow patrons to enjoy pipes and cigars inside are welcome ports of call. They provide a chance to interact with the local people, enjoy the fine towns that dot the coast and importantly for the town, provide business that is beneficial to the local economy.

I would appreciate the consideration that if not to allow the free market to dictate whether a smoking business or non-smoking business is viable, then that exceptions would be made for businesses who sell tobacco be exempted from this ban. I think it's an agreeable ends, non-smoker would avoid these businesses anyways and the economy would benefit from locals and non-locals doing business within these establishments.

If that seems like a fair message to you, then I'll be glad to send it. Let me know if it runs long and needs to be tightened up or whatnot. Only happy to help the cause.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks joe . Your words mean a lot to me. Hopefully a few nice words is all it takes to sway the tide.
Back to top Go down
joemelon

Registration date : 2012-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:34 am

It's no problem, pleasure to hopefully help. Just sent the email.

I know on one of the recent visits to my hometown, I was waiting at the restaurant mentioned above and saw a plume of smoke drift into the air from a table. It's crazy what you notice until it's not around anymore (like in my current city). Was happy to see that smoking bans aren't the standard everywhere, the things you forget...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 am

Best of luck with your endeavours, fighting the anti's is one hell of a job mate, expect a very lengthy battle, and one you're not very likely to win, but I am hoping you do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gumball

Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:26 am

We have had to live under these regulations fr some years in good old England No

I could get in to a long rant about freedom of choice, but these words from J. D. Salinger sum it up much better than I even could...

“That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "F**k you" right under your nose.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:37 am

Try and put together #s, $ wise, that the B&M can bring to the community as well as trying to get an exception to the ordinance. take a page from the playbook of the extreme right concerning "American Rights" and don't forget, this will get s***y as these people wan't to do away with ALL tobacco and will play hardball on this. Take the gloves off and forget the "gentleman" aspect of pipe smoking. Use any and ALL media you can to put forth your side and don't forget, name calling works. This is a "for real" fight and you and the B&M owner are gonna have to get tough. Remember, these folks want to GET RID OF ALL TOBACCO, not just stop smoking. It's gonna get messy, and you need to get ready for this as well as dig into your pockets as these folks do have $ resources available to them from national anti-smoking groups . I wish you luck as it's not gonna be easy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 am

Does your B&M have an online presence yet that I can order a couple tins from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

Na, lol almost all the pipe stuff he gets he has asked me about. Got him to start carrying lnf in bulk only last month, very good choice for fist bulk carry. Thanks for the support though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
It might be futile to combat the ban, but you could ask for exemptions for certain businesses that the ban would hurt such as bars and tobacconists.

I think this is probably the more winnable battle to be fighting, particularly if you can show that the shop brings in X amount of tax revenue and that an exemption would preserve that revenue without impeding on the rest of the town's ability to be smoke free (after all...why would non-smokers/antis be visiting a smoke shop?).

Stopping the anti's in their tracks is, I think, a fantasy (sad as that may be). Sadly, we have to content ourselves with small victories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:32 pm

This just makes me wonder - don't those antis have private lives to live or anything??! Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Their "lives" revolve around forcing other people to do as they want them to.

Absent that, they'd probably have none at all.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Antis, on a pedestrian level, are a strange gullibility-to-brains ratio, and set much like concrete. Dry and shelved in original packaging, they do nothing, but throw a little chemistry at 'em, sometimes simply water, and in no time, they're solidifying and being molded exactly how they're needed. They're made this way from the beginning.

It's the ones mixing them into this that are the enemy of situations like tobacco, the pawns are just that. Raw material; foot soldiers. They know not what they do, etc--and there's a lot of builders behind the scenes waiting to build.

I once heard an old Japanese legend about stone warriors that were used to defeat an entire enemy shogunate. When learning of a second (final) attack, the town's desecrated ashes of a prior battle wherein buildings, people and swordsmen burned, mixed with clay and baked by burning mounds of straw--the Stone Warriors were created. They waited in the moonlight for the attack, patiently. Thinking this battle would be the final victory against the town they had ransacked weeks ago, a confident shogun army suddenly was terrified. Standing resolute, these "warriors" held flags, were dressed in armor and had dark cavities for eyes. Their enemy scattered, while also being picked off by the cunning living sculptors hiding in the shadows. Assuming the dead had risen to take revenge, their shogun enemy fell. Even though their numbers were small in reality, the battle the Stone Warriors "won" was decisive.

I suppose one can take that tale to figuratively mean either side in our instance, but I found it apt to contemplate...

...*shrug*

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm

I don't condone the prevalent anti-smoking attitudes of today, nor do I want to defend those who do. But the antis I know come from a generation that grew up subjected to cigarette smoke without any regard whether they liked it or not. If you think about it, it is not surprising that they became resentful and intolerant of smokers. Smokers then were quite oblivious of the non-smokers around them. This is a case of the hens coming home to roost. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Many sensible ideas are ruined by the overburden of the process that it destroys the results of forgotten goals.

Then again, what really happens is there's a bloodlust momentum people get into, and overindulge in the process, the outcome be damned.

Take swordsmen after a war: they're still swordsmen, even if the war is over. Some swords today are merely petitions, and the enemy holds tobacco. A pawn has a pretty hard time vacationing in bliss with nothing to do--so there'll always be new conflicts. Which will breed more warrior pawns. Which will find themselves with nothing to do...and another war...

...interesting process. That's even without the financial benefits of the officers/generals.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Mark Twain said it best. "I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it.

I hate your kind of people. You are always ciphering out how much a man's health is injured, and how much his intellect is impaired, and how many pitiful dollars and cents he wastes in the course of ninety-two years' indulgence in the fatal practice of smoking; and in the equally fatal practice of drinking coffee; and in playing billiards occasionally; and in taking a glass of wine at dinner, etc. etc. And you are always figuring out how many women have been burned to death because of the dangerous fashion of wearing expansive hoops, etc. etc. You never see more than one side of the question.

You are blind to the fact that most old men in America smoke and drink coffee, although, according to your theory, they ought to have died young; and that hearty old Englishmen drink wine and survive it, and portly old Dutchmen both drink and smoke freely, and yet grow older and fatter all the time. And you never try to find out how much solid comfort, relaxation, and enjoyment a man derives from smoking in the course of a lifetime (which is worth ten times the money he would save by letting it alone), nor the appalling aggregate of happiness lost in a lifetime by your kind of people from not smoking. Of course you can save money by denying yourself all those little vicious enjoyments for fifty years; but then what can you do with it? What use can you put it to? Money can't save your infinitesimal soul. All the use that money can be put to is to purchase comfort and enjoyment in this life; therefore, as you are an enemy to comfort and enjoyment where is the use of accumulating cash?

It won't do for you to say that you can use it to better purpose in furnishing a good table, and in charities, and in supporting tract societies, because you know yourself that you people who have no petty vices are never known to give away a cent, and that you stint yourselves so in the matter of food that you are always feeble and hungry. And you never dare to laugh in the daytime for fear some poor wretch, seeing you in a good humor, will try to borrow a dollar of you; and in church you are always down on your knees, with your ears buried in the cushion, when the contribution-box comes around; and you never give the revenue officers a full statement of your income.

Now you know all these things yourself, don't you? Very well, then, what is the use of your stringing out your miserable lives to a lean and withered old age? What is the use of your saving money that is so utterly worthless to you? In a word, why don't you go off somewhere and die, and not be always trying to seduce people into becoming as ornery and unlovable as you are yourselves, by your villainous "moral statistics"?

Now, I don't approve of dissipation, and I don't indulge in it either; but I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices. And so I don't want to hear from you any more. I think you are the very same man who read me a long lecture last week about the degrading vice of smoking cigars, and then came back, in my absence, with your reprehensible fire-proof gloves on, and carried off my beautiful parlor stove."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:36 pm

He is hands down my favorite historical figure. His beliefs and writings are amazing. Ever read a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court? one of my favorite books.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:39 pm

i.keenum wrote:
He is hands down my favorite historical figure. His beliefs and writings are amazing. Ever read a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court? one of my favorite books.

I recently found an 1897 print copy of this in great condition for $5. It sits on my makeshift Mark Twain shrine--he's one of my favorites, too. I have a paperback copy for reading when I get the urge. Great stuff!

I'm going to light my pipe with some statistics, now. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Got mine at a thrift store too for 5 bucks. Hard cover readers digest version.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Cool. I have no business collecting books, just more stuff to dust/move, but with certain authors, it's appropriate.

Someone needs to post Sand's Twain quote with wheat paste anywhere and everywhere appropriate.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Someone needs to name a blend Statistics Laughing

Mr Pease or Mr Patton perhaps....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Slide wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Someone needs to name a blend Statistics Laughing

Mr Pease or Mr Patton perhaps....

I like that idea, but you do realize the name of a tobacco needs to evoke ideas of good taste.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:08 pm

beetlejazz wrote:
This just makes me wonder - don't those antis have private lives to live or anything??! Mad
Yak wrote:
Their "lives" revolve around forcing other people to do as they want them to.
Truth.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:14 pm

I sent a short email to your mayor, Keenum. Hope it helps. I'm not as eloquent as Joe above, but I (mostly) refrained from my usual threats of arson and frottage. I figured it was a Mayor, not a waitress I was writing to. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Enlisting you guys for some help.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next