HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Enlisting you guys for some help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:56 pm

You can ask your more experienced (i.e., older) piper friends to send the following note to your new councilmen, after filling in the blank: "Dear Councilperson, I've been enjoying an occasional pipe for the past ___ years. If I'd known I was going to defy the statistics by living this long, I'd have taken better care of myself. Please take no action on proposed anti-smoking regulations until you've had a chance to hear a broader view from constituents who aren't simply attempting to use you to foist their personal dislikes on their peace-loving, tax-paying neighbors."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting you guys for some help.   Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:08 pm

You could always shave your head and go to a city council meeting with the offer to join their cause and helpfully put up some posters around town.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: The Tyranny of the Majority   Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 pm

John Q. Public approves of the tyranny of the majority over the minority...er, as long as he's not in the minority being attacked, persecuted, discriminated against, or criminalized. But when it's his turn to be in the minority, then he squawks. He still gets buggered, but he rationalizes the diminution of his freedom by speaking the holy incantation in a suitably reverent tone: "Well, at least I have a Voice In The Process."

Ah...that makes it all better. Rolling Eyes

How fitting that the term "anti-tobacco Nazis" has such a literal historical parallel. But maybe it's a closer match than we think. It's presumed that we're morally superior to the Third Reich because we tyrannize our minorities via the ballot box rather than by totalitarian decree. But if the end result is the inexorable loss of our ability to make our own choices, I don't see how it matters all that much whether we let someone do it to us, or we let us do it to ourselves.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html

Enlisting you guys for some help.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: